Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 60M, Should I be concerned?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

SuperHub as a 5GHz access point with seperate DHCP server

Old 12-04-2012, 13:15   #1
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough
SuperHub as a 5GHz access point with seperate DHCP server

I'm currently on the old 50Mb modem (VMNG300?), and I also have an old SuperHub.

This sounds more complicated than it probably is, but I'd like to use the SuperHub as a 5GHz access point, and my old 2.4GHz N router as an access point and the DHCP server for the LAN, is this possible, or am I better off getting a dual radio router and keeping the old modem?
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2012, 13:48   #2
kornell
Inactive

Services: 120MB BB / M+ V HD
kornell is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: SuperHub as a 5GHz access point with seperate DHCP server

You're allowed to use only one modem.
kornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 14:26   #3
GavChap
Inactive

GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough

Well obviously. Currently it's connected like this:

Modem -> Router -> Wired / Wireless

I want to do:

SuperHub -> Wireless 5GHz
-> Wired -> Old Router -> Wireless
Old 12-04-2012, 16:21   #4
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

if your old router will become an access point? if it will run DDWRT/Tomato etc then it will be fine. If not you could always double NAT
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 16:48   #5
GavChap
Inactive

My old router (WNR2000) is running dd-wrt at the moment, but I still hear the SuperHub is terrible.

I just wish there was a good simultaneous dual band router below £50 that'll run dd-wrt
Old 12-04-2012, 19:03   #6
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Yes, you can connect your current router to your current modem as usual, and then connect the Shub to your old router with DHCP off to act as a wireless access point alone. You do not need to double Nat, that would be a bad idea.

The problem is the Shub firmware. Most of them came with R19 firmware which has serious wireless crash problems. No-one used this firmware as R20 was already available, but unless you connect the Shub up to VM and get them to enable it on your account (losing the use of your old modem in the process) you can't update it.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 15:24   #7
GavChap
Inactive

Don't think I want to lose my modem as I don't think from what I'm hearing they've improved the firmware on the superhub!
Old 14-04-2012, 04:51   #8
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

They've improved it hugely since R19 I can tell you. R19 was practically unusable.

The Shub is OK. There's much better, if you pay, but it's not bad and you can always switch it to modem mode anyway. The bugs will clear up, Netgear tend to take the long route firmwarewise but they also tend to stick at it and get there in the end.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote