Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cheap good gfx card help please?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

PC Help required

Old 11-07-2009, 13:05   #1
lemarsh
cf.geek

lemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of light
PC Help required

Hi - hoping someone can help...

I have a friend's laptop which had a virus. I downloaded AVG onto a memory stick, and used that to get rid of the virus, so think it is virus clean.

However, it still has a problem. I can ping the machine from the other PC, and also ping that machine from the laptop. Also, can ping web addresses. Also, Outlook works fine, and can download emails.

However, I cannot get either Chrome or Explorer to connect to the internet, or for AVG to download updates. I have tried both wireless cards, standard RJ45 ethernet & usb ethernet running through a router to a Virgin Cable Modem. All cards seem to work fine (given pinging) - and have checked that settings are the same on my machine as the laptop. I have tried it with all firewalls off as well, without any success. I have also (in hope than anything) turned off all router, laptop, machines & modem for a few hours to see if anything like that may help - but no).

Chrome was reporting something out resolving proxy - but followed instructions to remove tick from the proxy settings, and no benefit.

Any suggestions?
lemarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2009, 13:40   #2
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Re: PC Help required

Hi,
Have you tried hard wiring the modem straight to the laptop?
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 13:56   #3
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Hmmm. Ping works OK. Outlook works OK. So you do have an internet connection.

If your browsers will not work I guess we need to focus on the difference between picking up email and browsing to a site.

Things to check.

HOSTS file. Find this and make sure it's not stuffed with redirects or dodgy stuff.

DNS. If you ping a name such as bbc.co.uk or cableforum.co.uk from a CMD window does it resolve successfully to a numeric IP?

TCP/IP stack. I'm guessing this is probably OK since ping and Outlook work but it may be worth resetting it with
"netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt" from a CMD window. You'll need to reboot after this.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 13:56   #4
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

It sounds like a dns problem to me the fact that you can ping places.

You could use opendns. Instructions at www.opendns.com.

That's not much use to you if you can't access web pages.

I'm not sure if this will work but try manually entering 208.67.222.222 as your dns server. It's the dns ip I got from dns.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 14:55   #5
lemarsh
cf.geek

lemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Hi,
Have you tried hard wiring the modem straight to the laptop?
have just connected laptop to cable modem direct - and still same result. Took a time for modem to accept change in mad address, and then getting back to the router, so delay in responding. will look at the other responses now (thanks to all responders)

back soon........

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

HOSTS file. Not much in here - but deleted all except 127.0.0.1 localhost which is in the main pc as well

DNS. If you mean typing in ip address - then that works as well (e.g. Ping 213.171.218.112)

TCP/IP stack. entered this in - rebooted, but still no joy

Have also entered the IP addresses into the network connection IP address - but no luck
Old 11-07-2009, 14:58   #6
LondonRoad
Inactive

LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

try flushing the dns

from a command prompt ipconfig /flushdns
Old 11-07-2009, 15:07   #7
lemarsh
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmitage View Post
try flushing the dns
from a command prompt ipconfig /flushdns
'successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.' but still no joy

By the way - your help is appreciated.
Old 11-07-2009, 15:11   #8
banjo
Inactive

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Try this it has repaired my connection a few times.
banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 15:18   #9
LondonRoad
Inactive

at a command prompt can you type nslookup

then type: www.bbc.co.uk

and post the reply
Old 11-07-2009, 15:33   #10
lemarsh
cf.geek

presume this is in cmd prompt - and not sure what combination, so have tried all:

nslookup: Default Server: resolver1.opendns.com

www.bbc.co.uk: as above, then non-authoritative answer
name www.bbc.co.uk.belkin
address 67.215.65.132

when i type nslookup www.bbc.co.uk
got the BBc details above, then DNS request timed out
Old 11-07-2009, 15:36   #11
Dai
Inactive

Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze

If you are behing a router would you please also post the results of 'ipconfig /all' from a cmd window.
Old 11-07-2009, 15:40   #12
zing_deleted

netsh winsock reset catalog <try running that command
Old 11-07-2009, 15:41   #13
Dai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarsh View Post
presume this is in cmd prompt - and not sure what combination, so have tried all:

nslookup: Default Server: resolver1.opendns.com

www.bbc.co.uk: as above, then non-authoritative answer
name www.bbc.co.uk.belkin
address 67.215.65.132

when i type nslookup www.bbc.co.uk
got the BBc details above, then DNS request timed out
Interesting. 67.215.65.132 resolves as hit.nxdomain.opendns.com which is what you get if you try to look up a non-existant domain.

Any ideas on that one Harmitage? This all seems screwy.
Old 11-07-2009, 15:46   #14
lemarsh
cf.geek

netsh winsock reset catalog - unrecognised command (becomes unrecognised at reset)

ipconfig /all - also fails to work

Try this it has repaired my connection a few times. - the site itselfs says this is a last resort, so will leave this to last!!
Old 11-07-2009, 16:09   #15
zing_deleted

try setting up a new user and try to connect on that. TBH ive seen things like this screw up networking on various occassion I tend to just say stuff it and format otherwise as in this case you will be pulling your hair out. It could be a screwed registry which witha bit of luck the new user will not be subject to. You may well have to bite the bullet

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html you could try that if you are running xp