Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

Old 01-01-2009, 15:28   #31
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtrap3000 View Post
Still the PS3 can catch up. It will sell a load if it just drops that £299.99 rrp.

Yup. I don't think the PS3 is worse off than the 360 for exclusives, the games are there - it's just too expensive now compared to the competition.

300 quid really is too much, when you can get a 60GB 360 bundle for under 200.

As the link Damien posted pointed out, the Blu-ray playback is not such a big thing anymore, now that the price of standalone players has fallen. No longer is the PS3 the best cheap BD player available.

Sony need to cut the price, sharpish...
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2009, 16:14   #32
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Hmmm for me there are plenty of exclusive games I'm looking forward to on both consoles this year.

PS3 Exclusives I want are -

Killzone 2 (Hope it is as good as its being made out)
Uncharted 2 (anything like the first I will love it)
Heavy Rain (anything like farenheit then again amazing)
GT5 (really enjoyed prologue so full game should be amazing if they ever get it out lol)
God Of War 3 (Never played any of the others but looks good)
Infamous (Again looks brilliant but will have to wait and see)
MAG (Has huge potential)
Boarderlands (not much info but hoping its good lol)

Xbox 360 Exclusives I want are -

Alan Wake (Been waiting for this game for so long. Looks amazing)
Alpha Protocol (Again looks like it could be good)
Theres probably others but I cant think of them from the top of my head. I sure I have probably missed some great RPG's well I hope so anyway

Other games none exclusive I am intrested in are -

Resident Evil 5
FF13
Prototype
Fear 2
Velvet Assassin
I Am Alive
Fightnight Round 4
Street Fighter 4
Godfarther 2
Silent hill home comming
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:13   #33
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age

Someone on the xbox forums made a post, which lists many of the new games coming out for the 360 this year and has some links to many trailers/images of new Xbox games: LINK
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:49   #34
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I think Sony made quite a few mistakes, ultimately though I think those mistakes were a result of a misplaced confidence/arrogance regarding the strength of the 'Playstation' brand. They were willing to wait and ship a more expensive console because they thought the vast majority of gamers associated themselves and the games they like to play with the Playstation.

Obviously though, the 360 had a strong line-up for a good amount of time before the PS3 came up and the brand identity of the xbox also rose. So it was a much smaller amount of people who waited for the Playstation simply because it was a Playstation.

They do need to cut the price, drastically.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:09   #35
mr,m
Inactive

Services: VM XL V+ TV 10MBIT BB VM PHONE
mr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nice

Totally OT
But for some crazy reason,ok a bit of nostalgia,I bought an old mega drive and a box full of games for £40 just before Xmas.I can tell you none of the kids at the house showed the slightest interest in our 360 or wii.
The visitors and kids over Christmas were fighting over the old Sega,it went down a storm and was great to play Sonic again,as it was!
Forget all this fancy stuff and get back to the good old days,nothing complicated,just plain old FUN.
mr,m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 17:02   #36
icestar2
Inactive

icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr,m View Post
Totally OT
But for some crazy reason,ok a bit of nostalgia,I bought an old mega drive and a box full of games for £40 just before Xmas.I can tell you none of the kids at the house showed the slightest interest in our 360 or wii.
The visitors and kids over Christmas were fighting over the old Sega,it went down a storm and was great to play Sonic again,as it was!
Forget all this fancy stuff and get back to the good old days,nothing complicated,just plain old FUN.
I had a conversation the other day about a similair to this. I would love to see more classics like this released wearther in be on the PSN store or the Live store.

I would love and 100% buy if they remade sonic in HD and released it like they did with lemming and I'd also buy a new sonic game 100% if they went back to 2d. I lost all intrest in the sonic games since it went 3d.

Bring back Sonic ! The REAL Sonic !
Old 02-01-2009, 18:24   #37
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestar2 View Post
I had a conversation the other day about a similair to this. I would love to see more classics like this released wearther in be on the PSN store or the Live store.

I would love and 100% buy if they remade sonic in HD and released it like they did with lemming and I'd also buy a new sonic game 100% if they went back to 2d. I lost all intrest in the sonic games since it went 3d.

Again OT but there is a proper Sega Megadrive Ultimate collection coming for the PS3 and 360 later on this year. I think I read that there will be 40+ games on the disc. Link to story

I have both 360 and PS3 and mostly play on the 360 for the achievments and better online gaming. My PS3 is mostly a Blu Ray at the moment but I am trying to use it more. But all multi platform games are bought for the 360 apart from the latest WWE game which I got for the PS3 as I managed to get it cheap.
Old 02-01-2009, 19:09   #38
mr,m
Inactive

mr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nice

LOL,whilst on the subject,have been playing with my beloved Mega Drive,how about these,upgaraded,but please keep them as fun and simple as they were!
Chase HQ (best ever spectrum game)
Casle of illusion
Desert Strike
Ecoo the dolphin
Dizzy
Ghouls and Ghosts
Golden axe
Bomber man (great on Atari ST)
Micro machines (original style please)
Rainbow islands
The fantastic Road rash!
The incredible SPEEDBALL,Nothing comes close!!
Streets of rage.
So many wonderful games just waiting to be re-released,but please just do them as they were!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 20:38   #39
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestar2 View Post

Lol I just read that back and noticed the amount of mistake's I made. Sorry
Old 03-01-2009, 11:03   #40
mr,m
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Again OT but there is a proper Sega Megadrive Ultimate collection coming for the PS3 and 360 later on this year. I think I read that there will be 40+ games on the disc. Link to story

I have both 360 and PS3 and mostly play on the 360 for the achievments and better online gaming. My PS3 is mostly a Blu Ray at the moment but I am trying to use it more. But all multi platform games are bought for the 360 apart from the latest WWE game which I got for the PS3 as I managed to get it cheap.
That would have been a great Christmas release,what a missed chance to introduce these superb games to the youngsters.My nephew got a ps3 for Christmas,no doubting it's coolness,but he was glued to my new/old Sega.
Even the loading sreen SSSEEEEEGGGAAAAA brought a lump to my throat.Happy days,off to find me a snes now,JOY!!
Old 05-01-2009, 20:38   #41
Cronus
Inactive

Cronus is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting debate...i also have both and my opinions are....

Yes Sony did cock up badly with the release and arrogant assumption that the fan base would buy no matter the price...they have been soundly beaten by Microsoft in the present gen battle. However i don't see the doom and gloom that all these attention seeking hacks perpetuate in the press...yes it's expensive and they are making a loss on each one sold and maybe the majority of people aren't that interested in BD yet...but they will as the digital age becomes more digital and high def becomes the standard. The PS3 BD player IS the best player on the market for the simple virtue that it is one of the few players that is fully compliant with the latest BD revisions (which i think are at 2.0) and can always be fully compliant through dowloadable firmware updates.
Also the PS3 has a far better processor than the Xbox and Sony have spent a ton on getting it into the PS3, apparently it's a complete pig to program for so it's been difficult to get developers onside and really push the tittles out..however they are getting more used to the cell processor and i truly believe we will start to see some great games come out for it, it's a processor that Sony will stick with in the rumored PS4 so once they get it right on the PS3 most of the hard work is done...the Xbox has all this to come in it's next gen Xbox '720' if the rumors of going completely in-house with hardware development are true. If Microsoft make any big changes to the processing end of their next console it could well be a role reversal of what we have now...pure speculation i know.

As for me, all my friends have Xbox 360's so to play online with them i needed to get one. If i'm looking at getting a new game i look to see what it's online gaming capabilities are and if it's one that me and my friends will play, if it's not and it's available on the PS3 then i buy it in that format
Cronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 20:49   #42
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
However i don't see the doom and gloom that all these attention seeking hacks perpetuate in the press...yes it's expensive and they are making a loss on each one sold and maybe the majority of people aren't that interested in BD yet...but they will as the digital age becomes more digital and high def becomes the standard. The PS3 BD player IS the best player on the market for the simple virtue that it is one of the few players that is fully compliant with the latest BD revisions (which i think are at 2.0) and can always be fully compliant through dowloadable firmware updates.
It's not really the best anymore, there are at least two better players on the market which can be updated. One of them, the S350 is cheaper than the PS3 as well
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 21:09   #43
NEONKNIGHT

Interestingly (and kick the PS3 while its down) the Xbox brand has had its best Christmas ever, that's according to this article.

Can't really blame M$ for spouting this, seems just like yesterday that Sony did the same thing....
Old 05-01-2009, 21:13   #44
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEONKNIGHT View Post
Interestingly (and kick the PS3 while its down) the Xbox brand has had its best Christmas ever, that's according to this article.

Can't really blame M$ for spouting this, seems just like yesterday that Sony did the same thing....
Its not surprising with it now being the cheapest current gen console on the market now. Gotta give it to M$ they made all the right moves this time round. Lets see what 09 holds for us all
Old 05-01-2009, 22:30   #45
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It's not really the best anymore, there are at least two better players on the market which can be updated. One of them, the S350 is cheaper than the PS3 as well
And bear in mind that two of the potential major players in HiDef (Microsoft and Apple) are looking at online rather than disc based distribution as, apparently is Samsung.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote