Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

Old 15-12-2008, 13:16   #16
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

reminds me of the old betamax days, sorry to digress
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-12-2008, 13:26   #17
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

unlike the rest of you, i dont care about the games or the BR as such, i care about its streaming HD LAN capabilitys and on that score, all the web is geared toward that PS3 playback OC, the 360 comes or reather came in a clear second on peoples radars.

if a PS3 price cut came this year or early next, its far to late now anyway...

the moneys been spent on the arcade 360 as that just about works for HD streaming, its a lot more work to get your AVC/H.264 content playing in real HD modes, but that will change as far more people buy the cheap and chearful arcade360 and upgrade it week on week as time goes by.

the lads already had his HD fitted a few weeks after the main console was got for the birthday for instance.

i advocate and will probably get the PS3 one day IF the price drops some day, as i know its strengths, and follow the PPC codebase for a very long time now,but the current price totally lets it down for any one looking to use it for HD streaming today, or i would have got one of my own by now, and installed PPC linux on there for non gaming ,HD video streaming use to the HD tv etc....somethng the 360 doesnt let you do OC, but so be it at this far lower price.

put simply MS finally did a master stroke,we didnt really care to get one right now, but they reduced the price at the right time, it kind of works for HD streaming in a fashion better if you use it with TVersity rather than MP11 etc, and people will buy it on mass this year for that reduced price alone, and so later start buying the games , paying the online charges and producing HD content to that lower grade HD video format....for their own personal use etc.

PS3 lost the cristmas round this year and thats been clear ever since the new priced arcade360 came out, and thats comeing from a PS3 PPC/CELL advocate.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 22:45   #18
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have a PSP & a PS2, I was looking at getting a PS3 but I wanted one which would play my PS2 games, but thes BC machine were very hard to get hold of and even if you did they cost a dam lotta cash.

After taking to the guys I work with the large majority had the 360, so I went for the 360.

Sony are shooting themselves for not supplying them with BC, and selling the for over £100 more the the 360
Old 15-12-2008, 23:33   #19
SB_07
Inactive

Services: V+ XL/20MB BB.
SB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation era

Everywhere i've read this article people have commented saying "whoever wrote this is obviously a 360 fanboy"

lol yeah ok.
SB_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 23:47   #20
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_07 View Post
Everywhere i've read this article people have commented saying "whoever wrote this is obviously a 360 fanboy"

lol yeah ok.
Thats probably because its poorly written.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 00:47   #21
sk8er_boi6000
Inactive

sk8er_boi6000 has a spectacular aura about themsk8er_boi6000 has a spectacular aura about themsk8er_boi6000 has a spectacular aura about themsk8er_boi6000 has a spectacular aura about them

Sony made quiet a few mistakes and bad decisions during the design phase of the PS3 and it is coming back to bite them now. They are already selling the consoles at a loss, and they just cannot compete on price terms with Microsoft. They won Round 2 with PS2 vs Xbox but in Round 3 they simply cannot compete. Shame really, as there is a lot of hardware power in the PS3, but for my money it simply lacks quality, and the "wow" factor beyond the fact it can play BR disks
sk8er_boi6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 22:25   #22
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
# The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".
Utter nonsense. Has the writer ever actually watched a BD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
The PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console.
True at launch, & for a while after (like the 360, really). But not anymore. Has the writer ever actually played any PS3 games?

And I think it's got at least as many decent exclusives as the 360 had at the same point in its life.

I think CNN are right about the price, though. It is too high, especially when you consider how insanely cheap the 360 is now (sigh, I got my original 20GB Premium at launch for £280, with no games...now you can get a 60GB Premium for £100 less than that together with Gears 1 & 2..., LOL always the way).
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 23:12   #23
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
especially when you consider how insanely cheap the 360 is now (sigh, I got my original 20GB Premium at launch for £280, with no games...now you can get a 60GB Premium for £100 less than that together with Gears 1 & 2..., LOL always the way).
Feel for me then Matt who bought a PS3 at launch in a bundle with 2 games. Think I ended up paying around £500 or something

Also that was my point the person who wrote the article seemed to be using old information. It was almost a re-write of an old article tbh.

Agreed about the price to but I just dont see that changing for a while yet.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 23:20   #24
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

Did he also forget about the 160GB model thats forcing down the 80GB price in the US...( limited edition out side the US )
you can get the 160GB in the UK for £330 and thats with 2 games plus 4 PSN titles to download for free worth £50...( included in the bundle )
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 23:27   #25
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestar2 View Post
Feel for me then Matt who bought a PS3 at launch in a bundle with 2 games. Think I ended up paying around £500 or something

Also that was my point the person who wrote the article seemed to be using old information. It was almost a re-write of an old article tbh.

Agreed about the price to but I just dont see that changing for a while yet.

£500? Ouch!

I've read rumours of a price cut for next Spring.

Also read something in the new EDGE by an analyst for "Screen-Digest", talking about the videogame market & the credit crunch. Didn't paint things for the PS3 as bleakly as the rather crappy CNN article did.
Old 18-12-2008, 00:29   #26
videodj
cf.addict

Services: Vivid 300Mb, Tivo V6, Tivo (Full House TV)
videodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enough

I have both xbox 360 and PS3 and I have to say my PS3 only gets used for the odd blu-ray and for streaming media. I prefer gaming on the xbox 360 and have to say I prefer the exclusive game titles on Xbox, such as Fable, Mass Effect and Gears of War. The on line play is better on the xbox and I know a lot more people with xbox's rather than PS3's.

I have noticed that the games I've played on PS3 only seem to be in 720p.

As for exclusive PS3 titles, can some one enlighten me as to these wonderful titles? The only one that springs to mind is Little Big Planet, if that's it I can think of a hundred reasons not to buy a PS3, including the price! Oops, forgot Grand Tourismo, but then it get's put back so often, there'll be a new console out, before it finally gets released!

Plus Parents buying for xmas are going to go for the cheaper option (at 50% less), for a muc more fun console.

Both have good and bad points, but if your a hardcore gamer, the 360 wins hands down. If there wasn't a choice, I'd rather go without if the PS3 was all there was to offer.
videodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 00:22   #27
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

I've got a 360, a PS3, & a Wii.

The 360 & the PS3 get used fairly equally for gaming...maybe a bit more in the 360's favour... The PS3 also gets used a lot for playing Blu-rays, DVDs, & streaming videos.

The Wii...gets dusted each week.

Definitely agree with you that online play on the 360 is better. Although PSN is free, & has been improving, the overall XBL experience & service still wins hands-down IMO. Sony should have given the PS3 "in-game XMB" from launch, should have given it cross-game invites & cross-game chat (neither of which it has yet), & should have made PSN a truly unified & integrated service like XBL is.

I do think the PS3 has some excellent exclusives though. LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, & Metal Gear Solid 4 would be my top three, followed by Resistance 1 & 2, Heavenly Sword, & maybe Motorstorm.

The 360... Gears 1 & 2, Fable II, Mass Effect, Halo 3. Maybe Dead Rising, Forza & PGR.

Don't forget that the 360 didn't really have any truly top-notch exclusives at launch either, or for a while after. I bought mine with PDZ (lame) & PGR3 (fun at first but got boring). Sod all else around at launch IIRC. No Gears 'till a year after launch, no Halo 3 & Mass Effect 'till around two years after launch, no Fable II or Gears 2 'till three years after launch.

Multiplatform games... I always buy the 360 version, 'cos of XBL & Achievements.

I think that this time last year, the PS3 was quite competitive with the 360. £300 for the 40GB was pretty good IMO, compared to £230-250 for the 20GB Premium 360 or £280-300 for the Elite.

Now though, it really doesn't compare so well IMO. £300 for the 80GB PS3 versus well over £100 less than that for a 60GB Premium 360... If you want the built-in Blu-ray playback, the WiFi, etc., then wicked. If not, then it seems a bit high...

Sony needs to cut the price.

They also need to stop treating their best market like crap. Europe's got more PS3s than Japan & North America, yet SCEE seem to me to treat us pretty poorly. Perhaps they're complacent...
Old 01-01-2009, 02:11   #28
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Much better article on the situation, agrees with the problem Sony is having as well as containing more grim reading for the PS3 as it actually sold less than last year while the other consoles sold more.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1230...Tabs%3Darticle

Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:26   #29
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

There's still a fair bit of time for Sony to gain some ground as it doesn't look like Microsoft are in a hurry to replace the 360 just yet. Now that is if there's some decent, exclusive IP lined up to shift the hardware. Gran Turismo 5 springs to mind but it seems that Polyphony have been farting around wondering what day of the week it is for the past 3-4 years with nothing tangible to show! I would have expected Sony to beat them into action before now.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:40   #30
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough

I cant wait for GT5. Well I can because Ive only played the others for a grand total of 5mins. But its defo on my list of must have PS3 games (can I call it a list if it only has one game on it?).

My PS3 list

Must have released games:
I cant think of any must haves, but I would like LittleBigPlanet

Must have upcoming exclusives:
Gran Turismo 5

nothing else makes me look twice
edit: oh maybe Killzone 2. The first was a pile of steaming poo but the second sounds like it wont repeat the failure of the first.

360 Must Haves:
It would take too long to list them all.

360 must have upcoming exclusives:
Halo: ODST
Wow that list is a lot shorter than I thought it would be.

Oh and I buy any multiplats on the 360 because thats my console of choice.

lol and dont forget the wii
Sitting there covered in dust.

Still the PS3 can catch up. It will sell a load if it just drops that £299.99 rrp.
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote