Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

Non reading PS3 :(

Old 02-01-2009, 19:35   #1
chris9991
Inactive

chris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant future
Non reading PS3 :(

Hi

I bought a second hand PS3 a few weeks a go and now when I insert a disc it doesn't read the contents. Having read around the net, there is an issue affecting lens. Has anyone tried to use a lens cleaner or manually cleaned it themselves?

I know I could get it repaired somewhere but if I can do it cheaper, the better

Cheers
chris9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2009, 19:37   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Non reading PS3 :(

Give a standard CD Lense cleaner ago, although this may not work if the PS3 is not reading any discs at all?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 20:41   #3
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9991 View Post
Hi

I bought a second hand PS3 a few weeks a go and now when I insert a disc it doesn't read the contents. Having read around the net, there is an issue affecting lens. Has anyone tried to use a lens cleaner or manually cleaned it themselves?

I know I could get it repaired somewhere but if I can do it cheaper, the better

Cheers
If you cant get it sorted try phoning sony on 08705 99 88 77. They are normally very good. Tell them you got it from argos or something a couple months ago and now its just stopped reading disc.

Most of the time they will send collection for it for repair or will just straight swap it for you. They really are very good
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 20:44   #4
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

If you only got it a few weeks ago, can't you take it back?
Old 02-01-2009, 20:45   #5
icestar2
Inactive

icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
If you only got it a few weeks ago, can't you take it back?
He got it second hand. Maybe he cant take it back. Guess it depends were he got it from. Sony support will probably replace it with a nice new working one
Old 02-01-2009, 22:28   #6
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Is it an early (launch) model? [60GB with PS2 compatibility]

Although obviously not anywhere near the same level as the 360's infamous RROD problems, I have read many reports of early PS3s dying due to the Blu-ray drive failing.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 00:17   #7
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Is it an early (launch) model? [60GB with PS2 compatibility]

Although obviously not anywhere near the same level as the 360's infamous RROD problems, I have read many reports of early PS3s dying due to the Blu-ray drive failing.
Yep there has been a good few dying from what I've read. Still less than 3% they say but how true that is I dont know.

I personally beleive its also alot down to how you treat your equipment. Alot of people turn them off when its still writing to the HD or when its in the middle of loading something.

My friends drive failed after switching it off while still trying to access the HD.

I am hope thats the case anyway as I would be gutted if my 60GB failed
Old 03-01-2009, 11:03   #8
Bulky
Inactive

Bulky has reached the bronze age
Bulky has reached the bronze age

my ps3 is being replaced on wednesday , another problem which seems to crop up from doing a little googling , mine started with a light clicking noise from the fan and slowly got worse , its now unbearable (presume its a fan bearing gone) , sony were good though and was pleased with the service , only downside is i will recieve a reconditioned unit but if it has the slightest mark on it or even crashes (as my current one has not) its going back. I also believe its a lot to do with how your hardware is treated , treat all my stuff like a child , dust covers after use , remove discs before switching off, always quit to dashboard before removing disc.
Old 03-01-2009, 13:01   #9
chris9991
Inactive

chris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant future

When a disc is inserted it appears to spin. I'll probably give a lens cleaner a go, though I've read that a blu ray version needs to be used
chris9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 14:03   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Say you got it from Woolies as a present.
Old 03-01-2009, 15:55   #11
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9991 View Post
When a disc is inserted it appears to spin. I'll probably give a lens cleaner a go, though I've read that a blu ray version needs to be used
Just leave it for 5 mins and then see if the disc shows up. My friend had this problem. As I mentioned before he switched off while it was saving to the Hd and when he switched back on the disc drive didnt work but after 5 mins the game or dvd shows up.

He told Sony this and they were still happy to replace it. There sending him a new one on thursday and picking up his old one.