Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Pirate Bay is blocked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

The Pirate Bay is blocked

Old 02-05-2012, 19:02   #1
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough
The Pirate Bay is blocked

They didn't hang about did they! Guess this is the start of a very slippery slope. I wonder what site will be next? Guess the BPI now runs the internet in the UK.
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2012, 19:06   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Is it blocked via DNS, IP null routing, packet dropping or how?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 19:10   #3
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them
re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Just tried the 8.8.8.8 (Google) DNS and it's still blocked (redirect to the http://my.virginmedia.com/site-blocked.html page)
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 19:13   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

DNS works OK, the IP gets routed to a page that says

Quote:
Sorry, the web page you have requested is not available through Virgin Media.

Virgin Media has received an order from the Courts requiring us to prevent access to this site in order to help protect against copyright infringement.

If you are a Virgin Media home broadband customer, for more information on why certain web pages are blocked, please click here.

If you are a Virgin Media Business customer, or are trying to view this page through your company's internet connection, please click here.

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Web Proxies (so I presume VPNs as well) get round the block
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 19:13   #5
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

It's got to be at the IP level.

I've got OpenDNS setup on my router but I get the same page.
Old 02-05-2012, 19:14   #6
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

hidemyass
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 19:16   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
By that do you mean a traceroute to the IP ends up at the wrong place?
Old 02-05-2012, 19:20   #8
_wtf_
Inactive

I've got a VPS in the UK which I've installed OpenVPN on and that works. I've also got a VPN in another country and that works.

Guess it's the push I needed to cancel. I hardly bother with the place but it's the principle.
Old 02-05-2012, 19:21   #9
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
hidemyass
?
Old 02-05-2012, 19:22   #10
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Web Proxies (so I presume VPNs as well) get round the block
Vpn does the trick

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 19:26   #11
nemesis01
Inactive

Services: 120MB BB - Sky+ HD
nemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to nemesis01

Stupid, they should know that these days blocking something only makes people want it more, obviously easy to get round.
nemesis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 19:35   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Voting for them in the elections tomorrow
Old 02-05-2012, 19:36   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
By that do you mean a traceroute to the IP ends up at the wrong place?
Nope,I meant the IP via http, tracert makes it OK
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 19:49   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Nope,I meant the IP via http, tracert makes it OK
Interesting. Smacks of transparent proxy, which is going to slow everyone and everything down.
Old 02-05-2012, 19:58   #15
_wtf_
Inactive

WTF Music is being shared on TPB and yes I own copyright to the songs!