Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Constant HD Channel Issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Constant HD Channel Issues

Old 26-05-2017, 10:15   #1
r94yan
cf.addict

Services: VIVID 200, TV and calls, with Sky Movies and Sky Sport, Asian Mela. Two 1TB Tivo
r94yan is an unknown quantity at this point
Constant HD Channel Issues

Hi All,
We experience constant HD chanel issues, especially on the movie channels. Does anyone else have this issue?

I have called Virgin and they always just do a signal boost, which never works. They recently replaced the box, which did nothing. Getting close to cancelling the whole service but very hesitant as prior to this everything has been very high quality. My worry is this is an issue for the road, perhaps something to do with our cabling on our street.
r94yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2017, 11:26   #2
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: Constant HD Channel Issues

Unlikely a signal issue would affect just the HD channels, it would affect the entire TV service and possibly the broadband as well if signal is too high/low. What have VM said when you spoke with them?

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 22:13   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
Unlikely a signal issue would affect just the HD channels
Not true. The HD channels are mainly placed on the more extreme frequencies, so are usually first to be affected if the signal quality drops.

r94yan: you need to keep calling until they fix it
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 10:20   #4
Barriescott
cf.member

Barriescott is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem they changed the drop cable outside and also put a booster in my house solved the problem
Barriescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 10:34   #5
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barriescott View Post
I had the same problem they changed the drop cable outside and also put a booster in my house solved the problem

I had similar problems with sky & Bt channels. I only watch HD channels so wouldn't know if SD channels were also affected. I will remember that they may be ok for the next time it happens.

Engineer checked my line and said signal strength was far too low for 200mb broadband and 2 V6 boxes, went to street cabinet and moved my to near the top of the pecking order - this has resolved most of my problems.

Channels don't go missing
Pixelation has been resolved, unless recording a lot of channels on both boxes (9+ in total?)
Broadband hasn't dropped out.

I suspect all is fine until someone else complains and I'm moved back down to accommodate them.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 22:27   #6
r94yan
cf.addict

Services: VIVID 200, TV and calls, with Sky Movies and Sky Sport, Asian Mela. Two 1TB Tivo
r94yan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback. I called again, and they are replacing the box. The reasoning I got was that of the 3 tuners two were showing as faulty. This was the given reason, not sure I believe that. They are sending a box that will be tested to ensure all tuners are working. (again, surely that should be done anyway. Why send a faulty box)

Any thoughts on that? If this is does not work, I will try and suggest the above!

Also, as a side note we should really have the v6 boxes too, as we are on the top package for everything plus extras
r94yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 15:05   #7
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

I have sound dropouts and very brief pixelation on my sky sports HD channels every 20 seconds or so.

I'll have to give them a ring but I've had the same problem before, so I don't hold out much of it being fixed.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 16:27   #8
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
I have sound dropouts and very brief pixelation on my sky sports HD channels every 20 seconds or so.

I'll have to give them a ring but I've had the same problem before, so I don't hold out much of it being fixed.
So you keep reporting it until it is fixed then. And if it's an intermittent issue, you ensure it's reported as such and not closed down until it's stable for "long enough".

I know that's easier said than done, especially with the offshore call centre.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 23:46   #9
smallclone
cf.geek

smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
So you keep reporting it until it is fixed then. And if it's an intermittent issue, you ensure it's reported as such and not closed down until it's stable for "long enough".

I know that's easier said than done, especially with the offshore call centre.
So I got a spare evening and rang VM tonight. Explained my sound dropouts and pixelated screen issues on HD channels.

Was on hold for 35 minutes. Finally spoke to a lovely woman who was determined to help. She ran tests. She reset my box. She finally found an issue and said that she had adjusted the power levels, as they were far too low on my system. She reset once again, guided me through the screen and said that it would be fine after 5 minutes as the power levels would be restored.

Delighted, I waited 10 minutes then changed channels to test it out.

Same thing happenning.

I rang virgin media again straight away. Went through all the instructions....

Got "Our lines are now closed. Please try again tomorrow"

Absolute bloody joke.

Been with VM for years but they don't give stuff about customers. Had a gutsful now.

Awful, awful service.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:00   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

If your power levels are wrong (and that is often the cause of pixellation), you need a technician visit to adjust them. It can't be done remotely.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:06   #11
smallclone
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
If your power levels are wrong (and that is often the cause of pixellation), you need a technician visit to adjust them. It can't be done remotely.
Then why are Virgin Media employees telling me that it can be fixed in 10 minutes, and has been fixed in 10 minutes?

Should I just accept the fact that Virgin Media are lying to me and continue to pay them £80 a month?
Old 09-06-2017, 16:25   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Then why are Virgin Media employees telling me that it can be fixed in 10 minutes, and has been fixed in 10 minutes?

Should I just accept the fact that Virgin Media are lying to me and continue to pay them £80 a month?
I thought you said it wasn't fixed in 10 minutes?

Just ring them again, explain that whatever the call centre person did it didn't work and say you want a technician to look at it.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:43   #13
smallclone
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I thought you said it wasn't fixed in 10 minutes?
?

Yes. It wasn't fixed. And still isn't.

Quote:
Just ring them again, explain that whatever the call centre person did it didn't work and say you want a technician to look at it.
I'll book a technician. But Virgin should know that their staff are lying to customers, if they know that power levels can't be fixed over the phone.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:46   #14
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
?

Yes. It wasn't fixed. And still isn't.

I'll book a technician. But Virgin should know that their staff are lying to customers, if they know that power levels can't be fixed over the phone.
You said: "...and has been fixed in 10 minutes". Hence, the confusion.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:59   #15
smallclone
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You said: "...and has been fixed in 10 minutes". Hence, the confusion.
Because she told me it had been fixed. She told me she could see the power levels go from LOW to HIGH on her screen over the course of our 10 minute conversation.

I would like this to not happen to anybody else. I would like Virgin to trace the operator that 'helped' me and ask her why she lied to me.