Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windows 10 cannot repair hard disk errors

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Windows 10 cannot repair hard disk errors

Old 12-06-2017, 11:18   #16
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10 cannot repair hard disk errors

My hard drive failed yesterday. On reflection it was getting a bit dodgy. Still its only the second since 1990.

The only problem I had was that the recovery disc (USB) was windows 8 ( I thought I had made a W10 one. However it wasn't a problem just very time consuming.

Most software is now back on I think?
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2017, 18:27   #17
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

there are different types of hard drive errors but like it has been mentioned above, once they start they tend to keep going. The best Windows can do is put a mark on them when it scans for disc errors so it knows not to use them and only good clusters get data written to. The last thing you want to do though is be in a situation where you lose data so as soon as you start having hdd probs it is worth getting a new one considering how cheap they are these days.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 18:35   #18
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
there are different types of hard drive errors but like it has been mentioned above, once they start they tend to keep going. The best Windows can do is put a mark on them when it scans for disc errors so it knows not to use them and only good clusters get data written to. The last thing you want to do though is be in a situation where you lose data so as soon as you start having hdd probs it is worth getting a new one considering how cheap they are these days.
We backed everything up before ours went up the swanny thankfully.
Old 12-06-2017, 19:20   #19
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

cool, I have learnt that lesson as well over the years. Back in 2001 ish it was more of a case of having to download everything again and even 120mb for the latest NVidia drivers was a chore. I don't worry at all these days because I have got all my documents, apps, pics, favourites and anything else that isn't easily replaceable backed up on two hdds in my pc and in the event that everything dies for whatever reason, there is a third copy on a NAS in a room on the other side of the house.
Old 12-06-2017, 20:29   #20
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I had same happen to me 3 months ago, a Samsung SSD 850EVO 250 Hard disk, for some reason over 30GB of the drive failed so i sent back to Samsung the drive was under a 14 months old.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 22:01   #21
General Maximus
Ran Away

I have just bought one of those so I hope it behaves itself
Old 13-06-2017, 11:45   #22
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
This could perhaps have been avoided if Windows had a native HDD S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) monitoring app. Unfortunately it doesn't.
Windows doesn't have a native S.M.A.R.T. app, but it does support S.M.A.R.T. I've seen warnings from Windows advising that a hard drive is likely to fail soon, and that I should back up the data and replace the drive.

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
cool, I have learnt that lesson as well over the years. Back in 2001 ish it was more of a case of having to download everything again and even 120mb for the latest NVidia drivers was a chore. I don't worry at all these days because I have got all my documents, apps, pics, favourites and anything else that isn't easily replaceable backed up on two hdds in my pc and in the event that everything dies for whatever reason, there is a third copy on a NAS in a room on the other side of the house.
I'm in a similar position.

I don't actually have a lot of personal data to keep, but my Photos are backed up to iCloud. Other personal documents and data are backed up to either iCloud drive or Google drive. Work stuff is backed up to Microsoft Onedrive, which I have access to through work's Office 365 subscription, and I am not supposed to use unapproved cloud services for work data (which is fair enough). I do play a lot of games, but these often use either their own cloud system for saves, or Steamcloud or Xbox live.

I am currently trialling Amazon for data storage, as it's cheaper than Google. Google charge £9.99 a month for 1TB, and IIRC, Amazon charge £65 a year.

I've gone for a paid-for solution because, apart from the fact it gives you more storage, also entitles you, the consumer, to various legal protections that you do not get with free software (Sale of Goods act etc).

It shows how technology has changed though. A few years ago, if I had to set up my PC again, I would ensure everything was backed up to DVD, which would take hours. I would then need to wipe the machine, re-install everything, then restore my data. It could take a couple of days to get the machine back to where it should be.

Now, even though the apps I am using are far larger, and I am dealing with far more data, thanks to online distrubution of software, external HDDs, and cloud backups, I can have my machine back to where it should be within half a day. Less, if I follow my normal practice of only installing an app when I first need it.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 12:25   #23
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I had no warnings, i was watching a video and video sound started getting slower and then a blue crash screen, after that windows refused to boot or be repaired.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 12:41   #24
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
I had no warnings, i was watching a video and video sound started getting slower and then a blue crash screen, after that windows refused to boot or be repaired.
Hard drives can suddenly fail.. It doesn't happen often, as S.M.A.R.T. and other technologies are good and getting better, but it can happen, as even with the best error logging and prediction systems in the world, there can still be sudden failures. On a simplistic level, technologies such as S.M.A.R.T. log errors (and other conditions) that they (or other software) can then use to predict the likelyhood of a failure, but looking for signs such as a spike in temperature or numbers of errors).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 15:17   #25
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I am currently trialling Amazon for data storage, as it's cheaper than Google. Google charge £9.99 a month for 1TB, and IIRC, Amazon charge £65 a year.
Amazon Drive is actually unlimited, I paid £55 for the year and currently have 2.4 TB stored on it.

Also, for smaller amounts, Amazon S3 is quite cheap, if you set it up to transition stuff to Glacier storage, which is $0.048 per GB.
(So 100 GB for instance would cost about £4 per year).

One thing you have to be aware of with that though is there are retrival fees associated with Glacier.
So its really for stuff you are not likely to want to access often.

S3 is still quite cheap for smaller amounts (< 1TB) using their other storage systems, as you only pay for what you actually use.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote