Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19-02-2008, 20:48   #106
bringerofnoise
Inactive

Services: 3meg bb + family pack
bringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about thembringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about thembringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about thembringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media Ad Deal [Updated: See Post No. 77 & 102]

By making it a pain in the backside EG:needed to re-opt out everytime you do some pc hosekeeping they hoping that people will give in.

I think i'll do the opt out and see what the cookie contains and see if i can "automate the process" in someway if thats how they are going to make it

I wander what you have to do to get the head job @ VM it sure as hell can't be to do with intelligence, unless the idea is to loose customers then obviously they've hired a bonefide genius

sigh
Advertisement
Old 19-02-2008, 21:01   #107
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

I've included some more questions from the FAQ from Phorms website in my post above:-

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34492122-post102.html
Old 19-02-2008, 21:32   #108
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I've included some more questions from the FAQ from Phorms website in my post above:-

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34492122-post102.html
They go on and on about not using personal information, The bloody point is that VIRGIN are going to give them the information without asking me first ?????????

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 19-02-2008, 21:38   #109
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light
Here's where to switch it OFF

Okay everyone... bookmark the page below (or even better, make it your homepage so every time you launch your browser, the first thing you do is click on OFF... that'll really **** Phorm off if hundreds of thousands of people start to do that 10 times a day...)

http://www.webwise.com/privacy/opt/out.html

Old 19-02-2008, 22:05   #110
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Re: Here's where to switch it OFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
Okay everyone... bookmark the page below (or even better, make it your homepage so every time you launch your browser, the first thing you do is click on OFF... that'll really **** Phorm off if hundreds of thousands of people start to do that 10 times a day...)

http://www.webwise.com/privacy/opt/out.html

Nice find

I have inserted it in my Sig for all to see. Maybe everyone should put it in their sig. Plus post it on every bloody website and forum you visit.

Old 19-02-2008, 22:14   #111
TehTech
Permanently Banned

TehTech is an unknown quantity at this point

So do I need to keep this 1 cookie at all times??
What if having this stored cookie does the opposite of what they say?
Old 19-02-2008, 22:21   #112
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

OK, too late now but I wish to retract my previous comment. It would appear that the company behind Pform appear to deploy spyware tactics to push these adverts through, and are linked with very deep root kit intrusion systems.

I've been following the many threads on the VM newsgroups, and what I am seeing on there is concerning to say the least.

If the rumours are anywhere near true, cookies will not be a problem, it could be considerably worse.

Advice, if you are prompted to download an Active X control, or some other download mechanism from the VM portal in the near future carefully read the terms and conditions of that download.
Old 19-02-2008, 22:26   #113
pigpen
Inactive

Services: XL TV, 50Mbit BB, Phone
pigpen is on a distinguished roadpigpen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pigpen

I'm curious about this part on the Phorm FAQ:
Quote:
What kind of ad units will be delivered to my subscriber, and where will they see them?

The OIX can potentially serve ads to any of the websites your subscriber normally visits in the regular places the website shows ads. The OIX does not show pop-ups or pop-unders. [X]
Does that mean this system replaces existing adverts on websites you visit? I can't imagine that would make anyone who runs a website particularly happy if they're to lose out on revenue from 70% of the UK.

Please correct me if I've grasped the wrong end of the stick...
Old 19-02-2008, 22:28   #114
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
OK, too late now but I wish to retract my previous comment. It would appear that the company behind Pform appear to deploy spyware tactics to push these adverts through, and are linked with very deep root kit intrusion systems.

I've been following the many threads on the VM newsgroups, and what I am seeing on there is concerning to say the least.

If the rumours are anywhere near true, cookies will not be a problem, it could be considerably worse.

Advice, if you are prompted to download an Active X control, or some other download mechanism from the VM portal in the near future carefully read the terms and conditions of that download.
Care to elaborate, Toto? I'd be interested to read any info you've seen on their rootkit activities (and more importantly, so might the data protection commissioner). Presumably these would be ineffective against our Mac and Linux cousins?
Old 19-02-2008, 22:41   #115
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
Care to elaborate, Toto? I'd be interested to read any info you've seen on their rootkit activities (and more importantly, so might the data protection commissioner). Presumably these would be ineffective against our Mac and Linux cousins?
Sure thing, if the moderators have no objections, I think I can find some links from the VM discussion forums....give me a few minutes.

OK, read this first (its a pdf document, scanned with NOD32, safe).

The Chairman and CEO listed in there may have been responsible for this

And this article will seal it. You will notice the company name in there is the one behind Phorm.

Apologies if I have broken forum rules, but I think it makes interesting reading if these articles are true.

EDIT: This article really puts some meat on the bones.

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
I'm curious about this part on the Phorm FAQ:

Does that mean this system replaces existing adverts on websites you visit? I can't imagine that would make anyone who runs a website particularly happy if they're to lose out on revenue from 70% of the UK.

Please correct me if I've grasped the wrong end of the stick...
I think you have grasped the stick firmly in both hands. Is it me, or does this look worse by the minute??
Old 19-02-2008, 22:46   #116
eddcase

Re: Virgin Media Ad Deal - Would you be opting out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
Speak for yourself. I haven't rolled over yet and never will.
Sorry Mick, I wasn't implying any kind of subservient compliance. But, it is fact that they know what car you drive, where you go on holiday, where you go during the day, what you eat, where you work, what your credit rating is, where you bank, what your health is like etc etc so knowing your browsing habits is part of a very long list. And who's to say that those who choose to opt out aren't actually of more interest to them than those who don't?

Hell, give 'em a hair these days and they'll go and make a new version of you. Sorry readers, I'm just rambling

Old 19-02-2008, 22:57   #117
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Sure thing, if the moderators have no objections, I think I can find some links from the VM discussion forums....give me a few minutes.

OK, read this first (its a pdf document, scanned with NOD32, safe).

The Chairman and CEO listed in there may have been responsible for this

And this article will seal it. You will notice the company name in there is the one behind Phorm.

Apologies if I have broken forum rules, but I think it makes interesting reading if these articles are true.

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

I think you have grasped the stick firmly in both hands. Is it me, or does this look worse by the minute??
This does not shock me one little bit when it comes to Virginmedia.

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

:

Old 19-02-2008, 23:00   #118
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
This does not shock me one little bit when it comes to Virginmedia.

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

how about this from the newsgroups
Well yeh, they aren't seeling on your details, but it bothers me like hell that in order to deliver these adverts it would "seem" that spyware is the only way to do it...........NO! NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!!!!
Old 19-02-2008, 23:03   #119
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Well yeh, they aren't seeling on your details, but it bothers me like hell that in order to deliver these adverts it would "seem" that spyware is the only way to do it...........NO! NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!!!!
What gets me is that they are going to give my personal information to a third party without my consent and without telling me. That is a total like of security on VirginMedia's part and is criminal in my eye's

what we are going 5to need is for someone to come up with some form of blocking software to block them

Old 19-02-2008, 23:05   #120
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
What gets me is that they are going to give my personal information to a third party without my consent and without telling me. That is a total like of security on VirginMedia's part and is criminal in my eye's
They have said they won't be passing your personal information. By that I assume you mean your Name, address and even your IP address?
Closed Thread