Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18-02-2008, 19:42   #31
TehTech
Permanently Banned

TehTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Ad Deal - Would you be opting out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
http://www.phorm.com/about/faq.php?_...6,17,18,19#isp

http://webwise.com/ NOTE that Virgin Media are missing from that website
Thanks for that link, I have just had a quick browse through it, and time & time again, the 1 word that they like to use is "PRIVACY"

How in gods name can they serve RELEVANT ads to joe Bloggs and say that they dont store browsing habits? how on earth do they do it then if they dont store these details, I mean, if they dont store details, how they supposed to give the user relevant ads?
Advertisement
Old 18-02-2008, 19:43   #32
bonzoe
cf.mega poster

bonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud of

I shall be opting out, can see absolutely no reason to want this rubbish!
Old 18-02-2008, 19:44   #33
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM Phone : Sky Mobile : Sky TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Did I miss something - dont data protection laws mean you have to opt in to sharing your data, not out ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 18-02-2008, 19:50   #34
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

VM's Terms & Conditions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM
Section G, clause 3

We may also, subject to your consent:

1. use your personal information for the purposes of marketing our products and services to you; and
2. use your personal information for the purposes of marketing the products and services of other Virgin companies (e.g. Virgin Atlantic) to you,
and we may disclose your personal information to other Virgin companies and our sub-contractors and agents for these marketing purposes.
I see nothing in there about disclosure of personal details to third parties, other than the Virgin Group. I see nothing in there about doing so without my consent. As far as I am concerned my internet use habits represent my personal details, especially if I'm visiting secure sites such as personal banking.

And from the Privacy Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM
Disclosing your information

<snip>

We will not pass on your personal information to third parties except in accordance with this policy and our Terms and Conditions or where we are required by law to disclose that information.
Looks pretty clear to me that VM would be in breach of their own consumer contracts. But then we know how they like to run roughshod over them and change at will.
Old 18-02-2008, 19:52   #35
grimwau
Inactive

Services: VIP100 - Panasonic TH-42PX600
grimwau is on a distinguished roadgrimwau is on a distinguished road

Looks like my adblocker will be working overtime then.
Old 18-02-2008, 19:55   #36
TehTech
Permanently Banned

TehTech is an unknown quantity at this point

Why dont they (VM) just go full hog & "install" a VM rep inside your home, sat right next to you at your pc with a notebook & pen?

Its basically the same thing, whatever next from the 2 bit pile of donkey dung that they call a "BUSINESS"??
Old 18-02-2008, 19:56   #37
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
VM's Terms & Conditions:

I see nothing in there about disclosure of personal details to third parties, other than the Virgin Group. I see nothing in there about doing so without my consent. As far as I am concerned my internet use habits represent my personal details, especially if I'm visiting secure sites such as personal banking.

And from the Privacy Policy

Looks pretty clear to me that VM would be in breach of their own consumer contracts. But then we know how they like to run roughshod over them and change at will.
They can update those whenever and however they want though?
Old 18-02-2008, 19:57   #38
bonzoe
cf.mega poster

bonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
VM's Terms & Conditions:

<snip>
As you say, if the lawyers think it's necessary, they'll just change the T&Cs to fit.
Old 18-02-2008, 20:05   #39
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

I have a theory.

There are a group of numpty's that travel from company to company with the sole intention of destroying it. At the moment i thinks its Virgins turn to have the numpty's working for them in the "What a good idea department"

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 18-02-2008, 20:07   #40
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

I don't see any on-page/pop-up/pop-under ads, Firefox & AdBlock Plus are your friends.
Old 18-02-2008, 20:09   #41
Griffin
Inactive

Griffin is an unknown quantity at this point

I got an ad blocking program on a disc that used to block all ads weather they were Embedded or pop up, if VM go ahead with this fool of a scheme i will just install it again
Old 18-02-2008, 20:20   #42
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
I got an ad blocking program on a disc that used to block all ads weather they were Embedded or pop up, if VM go ahead with this fool of a scheme i will just install it again
I have been using adblock for a good year or so and it works fine for me. My problem here is the fact that it looks like VM are going to ride rough shod over the customers privacy. VM no doubt will change the contract to suit them so they can give your private information to this company that they have signed up with..

Old 18-02-2008, 20:25   #43
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Ad block pop up blocker things aren't the answer though. You might not see the ad, but it is still there. The real concern is the system of generating the ad, which has somehow been monitoring your personal browsing habits. That is big brother territory. It's that monitoring that has to be prevented, not the ad itself.

By contrast, google adsense and other systems generate content relative to the page that is being read. Yes some may find those ads annoying, but they haven't intruded on private browsing habits to do so. All they know is what the website is displaying.
Old 18-02-2008, 20:34   #44
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Ad block pop up blocker things aren't the answer though. You might not see the ad, but it is still there. The real concern is the system of generating the ad, which has somehow been monitoring your personal browsing habits. That is big brother territory. It's that monitoring that has to be prevented, not the ad itself.

By contrast, google adsense and other systems generate content relative to the page that is being read. Yes some may find those ads annoying, but they haven't intruded on private browsing habits to do so. All they know is what the website is displaying.
Rob

I fully agree i just dont like adds fullstop m8.

Old 18-02-2008, 21:08   #45
Sirpingalot
Inactive

Services: VM 20Mb BB
Sirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation era

it's an invasion of privacy and therefore a breach of the law..?
Closed Thread