Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18-02-2008, 19:18   #16
TehTech
Permanently Banned

TehTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Ad Deal - Would you be opting out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
I dont want my info on web habits to be sent to companies bad idea VM boo
Totally agree with you there dl!

What was is I saw in a thread a few days ago about internet privacy??

Although, having said that, I got FF secured as tight as I can make it, in the past 3 years, I have never seen ANY adds or popups at all thanks to ff & the extensions!

You can bet your life I will be checking my cookies a number of times a day to make sure no such rubbish is stored on my computer.

I actually thought that it was illegal to track internet usage & to serve up ads, weather or not they are relevant?

When VM do this, I will be straight on the phone to them and they will have ANOTHER unhappy chappy on their line giving them what for!

EDIT:

If I want to check something out, I google it and then browse through the results, I have never once clicked an ad or anything that has popped up, I dont care how damn relevant it is, if I want to buy any product, I will go to a reputable (re)seller, I dont go flagrantly clicking links just because it has something that MIGHT interest me!
Advertisement
Old 18-02-2008, 19:21   #17
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Well, I don't have anything to hide, and as I shop online for a lot of goods and services. This could be a good thing, but it might not be.

If I suspect though that the cookies are taking to much information, I can make some basic changes in my browser (see sig picture) that should block them.
Why on earth would they need to use cookies? They can probably obtain this information from either their DNS servers or (more likely) track you using the UBRs.

If that's the case, your choice of browser will be irrelevant.

Also, if you think blocking popups/ads will help, comcast have, I believe, been doing a lot of work in html rewriting, so they may just be able to embed the ad in your page regardless (as comcast did).
Old 18-02-2008, 19:24   #18
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

I'll be opting out asap.

I can't believe that with all the data privacy laws and such that VM can get away with this.

If the police etc were collecting data on a suspect, possibly linked to criminal activity, wouldn't they need a warrant to monitor their web traffic? How is it different, just because it is 'advertising'? It's still snooping.
Old 18-02-2008, 19:24   #19
TehTech
Permanently Banned

TehTech is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Why on earth would they need to use cookies? They can probably obtain this information from either their DNS servers or (more likely) track you using the UBRs.

If that's the case, your choice of browser will be irrelevant.

Also, if you think blocking popups/ads will help, comcast have, I believe, been doing a lot of work in html rewriting, so they may just be able to embed the ad in your page regardless (as comcast did).
BUT surely if you have cookies turned off in your browser, then they cant track, or have i got it wrong (again)?
Old 18-02-2008, 19:29   #20
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Be interesting to see if the DPA applies. Mr Angry would probably know this, but I think the Data Protection Act would apply if any personally identifiable data is passed to the other company from Virgin (I don't know if this ID number they are planning to use would be counted as personal data, as it would be tied indirectly to you).

For the record, if I used Virgin for broadband, I would either be expecting some sort of compensation for this data I am helpfully providing them, or cancel my account.

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehTech View Post
BUT surely if you have cookies turned off in your browser, then they cant track, or have i got it wrong (again)?
They don't need cookies. Even if the UBRs can't log who is downloading what, technically it would be relatively easy to install equipment that does. They could bring back the proxies and use them to do this, for instance.
Old 18-02-2008, 19:31   #21
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Well from what i have seen here so far they will have to allow me 1 of the following.

Opt out

Disconnect

VIRGIN what will it be ?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 18-02-2008, 19:32   #22
iglu
cf.addict

iglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant future

Apparently you can switch it on and off at will

http://www.phorm.com/

How it works:

*Ntl gives phorm a random number and the web page you are looking

*Phorm gives NTl the relevant ad together with the number

*NTl pops the ads on your screen, they know your IP as it is associated with the random number returned by Phorm
Old 18-02-2008, 19:34   #23
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

http://www.phorm.com/about/faq.php?_...6,17,18,19#isp

http://webwise.com/ NOTE that Virgin Media are missing from that website

Old 18-02-2008, 19:35   #24
cookster
Inactive

cookster is on a distinguished roadcookster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iglu View Post

How it works:

*NTl pops the ads on your screen, they know your IP as it is associated with the random number returned by Phorm
I'll be opting out then!!!
Old 18-02-2008, 19:37   #25
Stuart
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Ahh, so they are stealing advertising revenue from sites, such as, say, this one.
Old 18-02-2008, 19:38   #26
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Ahh, so they are stealing advertising revenue from sites, such as, say, this one.
Thats Virgin Media for you.

Boy i bet this thread grows pretty dam fast

Old 18-02-2008, 19:38   #27
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

How it works:

From what I've just read there, it isn't so clear

Quote:
With OIX and Webwise, consumers are in control: they can switch relevance 'off' or 'on' at any time at Webwise.com. There's no small print and no catches: it's completely up to the consumer.
To me that reads as if you can choose relevant ads or irrelevant ones.
Have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Old 18-02-2008, 19:39   #28
iglu
cf.addict

iglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
[url]
http://webwise.com/ NOTE that Virgin Media are missing from that website
It is here

http://www.phorm.com/isp_partners/
Old 18-02-2008, 19:39   #29
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Why should I have to opt out. I should have to opt in
Old 18-02-2008, 19:40   #30
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
but thats not the site for turning off there spyware

Lets face it. This is another shafting from Virgin

Closed Thread