Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18-02-2008, 17:58   #1
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Exclamation Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Haven't seen this posted anywhere else... Forgive me if it has...

From the story posted yesterday, here.

What do you make of this and would you be opting out, by opting out you are telling Virgin Media, you do not want your surfing habits tracked and this information given to a third party?

---

There have been Updates since the beginning of this thread:-

Post 77:- http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34491957-post77.html

Post 102:- http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34492122-post102.html

---

FAQ:-

Who should I complain to about this if this is something I do not agree with?

The first port of call should be to complain to Virgin Media directly, state that you are not happy about your data being tracked and sold to a third party even if your identity is protected or not.

Secondly, there is a Data Protection concern regarding how the data is collected and the fact customers have automatically been opted in, regulation usually requires that customers should be given the option to Opt in.

If you are concerned and feel you need to complain to The Information Commissioner's Office - http://www.ico.gov.uk/ You can ring them on 01625 545 745.

When will Virgin Media Implement this system with Phorm?

Virgin Media have simply stated that they have not decided yet what they are doing or what options are there for the customers. The bottom line is, they need to be fully consulting with the customer and we will be making sure that they provide relevant information to the customer and what options will be available to them.

Is there anything I can download to prevent this 'Intrusion' i.e stopping the data analysis being collected by my ISP and passed on to the likes of Phorm?

Yes there is, its called Tor and can be downloaded Free from http://www.torproject.org/. Please make sure you read the documentation before you decide to download and use it. Please note that use of this software is at your own risk.

--
Advertisement
Old 18-02-2008, 18:10   #2
Mikey845
Inactive

Services: BB/TV/PHONE
Mikey845 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Ad Deal - Would you be opting out?

I hate ads relevant or not, I do not like the idea of having my surfing habits tracked to provide me with a direct ad "service". I've already contacted VM to find out how I can opt out. Does privacy mean bugger all to anyone?
Old 18-02-2008, 18:20   #3
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

What do you make of this and would you be opting out, by opting out you are telling Virgin Media, you do not want your surfing habbits tracked and this information given to a third party?
I will definitely want to opt out .

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 18-02-2008, 18:20   #4
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

No I don't think its a good idea.
Old 18-02-2008, 18:21   #5
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:

What do you make of this and would you be opting out, by opting out you are telling Virgin Media, you do not want your surfing habbits tracked and this information given to a third party?
Is there any information on this and how to opt out.

Old 18-02-2008, 18:22   #6
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

I have asked VM today - awaiting a response, coming soon.
Old 18-02-2008, 18:26   #7
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
I have asked VM today - awaiting a response, coming soon.
Thanks Mick

Old 18-02-2008, 18:27   #8
PeteTheMusicGuy
Inactive

Services: VM M BB, VM XL TV and M Phone
PeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PeteTheMusicGuy Send a message via Yahoo to PeteTheMusicGuy

it's a very bad idea
Old 18-02-2008, 18:31   #9
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Well, I don't have anything to hide, and as I shop online for a lot of goods and services. This could be a good thing, but it might not be.

If I suspect though that the cookies are taking to much information, I can make some basic changes in my browser (see sig picture) that should block them.
Old 18-02-2008, 18:33   #10
xspeedyx

I dont want my info on web habits to be sent to companies bad idea VM boo

Old 18-02-2008, 18:34   #11
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Well, I don't have anything to hide, and as I shop online for a lot of goods and services. This could be a good thing, but it might not be.

If I suspect though that the cookies are taking to much information, I can make some basic changes in my browser (see sig picture) that should block them.
It's yet another of Virgins greed decisions. I for one do not want it and WILL be opting out. Unfortunately i don't think Virgin will release the information on how to opt out if it means they lose money.

Old 18-02-2008, 18:35   #12
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Does it mean I will get my VM services cheaper?No I think not so the answer would no.
Old 18-02-2008, 18:41   #13
daz300
Inactive

Services: walking speed BB and tivo
daz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to all

if they pay me for the info then maybe .
Old 18-02-2008, 19:15   #14
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Not only will be opting out but i'd probably cancel my account with VM.

Its one thing to have VM knowing your surfing habits but its entirely another thing to pass the details to another 3rd party that is completely unaccountable and unmonitorable (if such a word exists). Its not about having anything to hide about a particular site that people view as most people would have nothing to fear, but data mining (the process by which anonymous bits of data are matched together using filters and sequences). Given an IP as a tracker, and a list of URLs it would be quite easy to build a big profile up and match the data with real people. And any rogue employee at Phorm can do it with the data access can do it.
Old 18-02-2008, 19:15   #15
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

It's one thing visiting a specific website and they track your habits about your specific visit. It's quite another being tracked across the internet. I beleive that is called spyware
Closed Thread