Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Returning TV equipment to Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TIVO as a 'standalone' recorder?

Old 21-01-2013, 00:11   #1
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road
TIVO as a 'standalone' recorder?

There was a question recently from 'johnemyr' about the possibility of transferring from TIVO to DVD ... I have a slightly different question if I may?

Is it possible to use a TIVO's recording function independently of the tuner?

Obviously I'm aware of the pitfalls and legalities of using an *un-registered* TIVO , but if one had access to a TIVO would this be possible?

I suspect not , but as a subscriber with an ordinary box it would be handy to know!

Curious minds and all that ...
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-01-2013, 00:16   #2
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: TIVO as a 'standalone' recorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Oscar View Post
There was a question recently from 'johnemyr' about the possibility of transferring from TIVO to DVD ... I have a slightly different question if I may?

Is it possible to use a TIVO's recording function independently of the tuner?

Obviously I'm aware of the pitfalls and legalities of using an *un-registered* TIVO , but if one had access to a TIVO would this be possible?

I suspect not , but as a subscriber with an ordinary box it would be handy to know!

Curious minds and all that ...
Pretty certain you will find it cannot be used as a stand alone recorder. How would you record on it if it had not be hit to work on the next work.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 10:55   #3
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Silly question - but is it a "Virgin" TiVo or an older version & if so would it not work ?
Old 21-01-2013, 13:11   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Silly question - but is it a "Virgin" TiVo or an older version & if so would it not work ?
Even if it's one of the original Series 1 Tivos, the servers they download the EPG data from were switched off shortly after VM launched the VM tivo so while they might function as a DVR without the guide data, they might not as they would be unable to verify that you have a good Tivo account for encryption purposes.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 13:45   #5
mark1234
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV XL, Broadband XL (60), Phone XL, Windows 7 Media Centre
mark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to all

I've never had a Tivo, so can't comment on how good it is, but there is a replacement EPG for an old Tivo.

http://www.altepg.com/index.html
mark1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 14:45   #6
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Even if it's one of the original Series 1 Tivos, the servers they download the EPG data from were switched off shortly after VM launched the VM tivo so while they might function as a DVR without the guide data, they might not as they would be unable to verify that you have a good Tivo account for encryption purposes.

No point getting the one up from the basement ( if it is even still there!) & trying it out then
Old 21-01-2013, 16:31   #7
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
No point getting the one up from the basement ( if it is even still there!) & trying it out then
It's always worth trying. After all, if it works, you have an extra DVR. If it doesn't, you're in the same position you are now, so you lose nothing and have something to gain potentially.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 16:51   #8
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It's always worth trying. After all, if it works, you have an extra DVR. If it doesn't, you're in the same position you are now, so you lose nothing and have something to gain potentially.
Really was "said" in light hearted way. First of all I would need to find it, Bring it over, work out how to set up power ,then connect it . Naa if I ever need a DVR I would opt to buy one