Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVO/Broadband

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Moving HD box to different room

Old 17-11-2011, 09:27   #1
jreynolds
Inactive

jreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about them
Moving HD box to different room

Hi guys, just looking for a little advice please. If this isn't the correct forum for it then please move

I'm going to be changing some rooms about in my house and was thinking of moving my HD box upstairs to a different room. At the moment I have a single cable coming up from the cellar into a splitter and then separate cables feeding the box and broadband in the same room.

I would need to disconnect the box, replace the TV cable from the splitter with a longer one and run it upstairs where I'd reconnect the box.

My question is am I allowed to do this myself? Seems much easier than waiting on an engineer to come out. If I need an engineer, is there a charge for this?

Thanks a lot for any advice!
jreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-11-2011, 10:04   #2
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving HD box to different room

An engineer will charge you £99. You can do it yourself but it will depend on how much longer the new cable will be as it may/will attenuate the signal and possibly make it unusable.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 13:14   #3
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
I don't trust engineers here now, lying ****.. They fobbed me off for years about how they moved me on a higher tap when there is no higher tap.. And how they called out networks when they didnt. Then refused to give me a hdu to correct my signal problems.. I took things in my own hands and purchased a hdu, and fixed my own services... Now enjoying the best service I've ever received with spot on signal levels

Lol so if you wanna do yourself u need ppc ex6 connectors the new ones with the serrated edge.. And some hd100 cable from Webro this exceeds vm spec
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 13:54   #4
jreynolds
Inactive

jreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about them

Thanks very much for the responses, much appreciated!

I don't really fancy paying £99 just to have the box moved upstairs - that seems pretty over the top, but then again I wouldn't want to mess up my signal either as the cable will need to be quite long (not sure how long exactly).

If I were to use the equipment you mentioned RB2004 would that go some way to countering any potential loss in the signal due to the cable length?

And would I be breaking any of Virgin's T&Cs by moving the box in the first place?

Thanks again!
Old 17-11-2011, 15:17   #5
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreynolds View Post
Thanks very much for the responses, much appreciated!

I don't really fancy paying £99 just to have the box moved upstairs - that seems pretty over the top, but then again I wouldn't want to mess up my signal either as the cable will need to be quite long (not sure how long exactly).

If I were to use the equipment you mentioned RB2004 would that go some way to countering any potential loss in the signal due to the cable length?

And would I be breaking any of Virgin's T&Cs by moving the box in the first place?

Thanks again!
Hi,

my advice first is, check your signal levels roughly yourself.

do you have a V+ box? or a VHD box?
and if you have broadband you can also check your signal levels on the modem if it isnt one of the surfboard ones.

Ive PM'd you a website link on where and how to do it.

if your signal levels are within the optimal or accept range you shouldnt really have too many problems.. to be honest? yes you loose signal over a length of cable, the longer it is the more you loose.

but, within a house it is so negligable that it makes hardly no difference at all,

I have a superhub in a cuboard under the stairs, 2x V+ boxes and a VHD box in the 3 bedrooms, and a TiVo downstairs in the lounge.. and the signal levels on each device are roughly the same, even on 1 run which is 15m.

If it does cause your services to go wrong extending a cable, then chances are your signal was borderline in the first place, which in most cases shouldnt occur if an engineer does their job properly... and it really usually is engineer not doing their job properly.. I can demonstrate that with my recent problems.

jist of it was, ongoing signal problems for 6 years.. fobbed off with excuses i wrote in previous post.. in the end after 3 engineers in a month, networks was actually brought down.. they acknowledged a problem that nobody else had in 6 years.. fixed it, signal levels jumped from -7 to 0 dBmV.. I then removed a splitter inside the house and installed new cable from superhub direct to omni box outside.. signal increased another 2 dBmV which was ideal.. but due to having 5 devices it meant adding a further splitter in the omni which degraded the signal.. so in the end I got a HDU myself, installed it... and now my superhub has a signal level of 2dBmV with a 6dBmV attenuator.. and my other boxes have a perfect signal level of -2dBmV with a 3dBmV attenuator which is slap bang in the middle of the optimal range now.

So.. for something engineers said was impossible to fix, a pretty good jump from -7 dBmV to +8dBmV (without attenuators) roughly its an increase from the bottom end of the range.. to the very top end of the range... so signal issues are always resolvable despite what engineers try to fob you off with.. I know its a bit off topic, but my point is, if properly installed signal levels should not be borderline! therefore any changes should not cause failure of services if done properly, through signal loss.

the HD100 Webro cable can be found on eBay here,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...All-Categories

in various lengths depending on what you need.

Should also be noted this is the only cable that exceeds the specification of VM cable, everything else is generally below the VM spec, but this stuff exceeds it, and probably looses less signal than VM stuff.

Reason is, its tri shielded copper cable, VMs is tri shielded alluminium cable... but most digital coax you buy is only dual shielded.

These are the latest connectors VM are using, PPC EX6 NT+

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-x-PPC-E...item2a15ea57a6

they have a funny serrated edge on the nut, which the previous ones didnt... its an improved connector.

regards to legality and terms and conditions.

Simple answer is, Yes it is against terms and conditions to tamper with any part of the VM installation.

Reason being, if alterations are done improperly, it can cause a degradation of your service, and introduce noise onto the network which can effect your neighbours service.

But if done properly, with no adverse effects theres no problem with altering it, in fact even occasionally on the VM community forums you see VM staff even advising customers to get an extension cable.

Is important though to use the proper cable and connectors though, because if you dont, and a fault occurs VM can blame it on your changes and hold you liable.

In short though, lots of people alter these cables.. a lot of people using improper connectors and lower spec cable and get away with it... ive rewired all of my boxes even, to a better standard than originally installed lol.

so choice is down to you.
Old 18-11-2011, 09:01   #6
jreynolds
Inactive

Thank you RB for an extremely detailed reply! Just in work so don't have much time to message but really appreciate all that help.

I'll no doubt get back to you later with a question or two if you don't mind.

Cheers!
Old 15-12-2011, 00:22   #7
steve6380
Inactive

Services: 1x Tivo 1x V+ Virgin VIP package 100Mbit BB Virgin Phone
steve6380 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I want to do the same can you PM me the details as well Thx
steve6380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 02:51   #8
RB2004
Inactive

Which details?
Old 15-12-2011, 10:56   #9
steve6380
Inactive

Services: 1x Tivo 1x V+ Virgin VIP package 100Mbit BB Virgin Phone
steve6380 is an unknown quantity at this point

========================
do you have a V+ box? or a VHD box?
and if you have broadband you can also check your signal levels on the modem if it isnt one of the surfboard ones.

Ive PM'd you a website link on where and how to do it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Steve
steve6380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 21:53   #10
CambsTech
Inactive

Services: XL TV, 100Mb, Talk Unlimited
CambsTech is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi RB,

Could I also get a link to what I guess is the VHD Diag screen.

By the way you do know that some of the RF signals are supposed to be in negative ranges. The 755Mhz frequency range is 0 to -10 with an optimal of -5 and the 128Mhz is 0 to +10 optimal +5. 402.75Mhz is reserved for broadband at 0 to +10.
CambsTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 02:39   #11
RB2004
Inactive

Yes I know

Tv perfect signal is -2dBmV
And broadband is +2 dBmV

If exactly perfect dead middle of the ranges

-3 to +7 for broadband is optimum range on qam256

-7 to +3 is optimum range on qam64

Yes they are different to your quoted figures.. But those are the figures that had been tested and found to be optimum.. Over the phone cs seem to use those figures it's also the figures pinned on the vm community forums

So as far as I'm aware bit could be wrong those are the optimums.. Also had engineers quote those figures.

Either way though there's lots of engineers who are ignorant to what the optimum is... Like the 3 I has turn up at my house told me they was fine.. But if true why was networks called out in the end and confirmed there was a problem.

Lol even by your figures my signal levels were worse still.. I had signal levels of -6 on broadband.. Which according to your figures of true the lowest should be 0!

But the engineers were telling me -7 was fine.

Tv I had -10 signal levels previously which is in your range.. But I was experiencing picture problems occasionally.

But since I increased my own signal levels everything's been better than ever.. Shame vm wouldn't do it for me.. Costed me £100 in the end to put my own services right

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

The link I have is just how to check signal levels on modem.

I wouldn't say how to enter engineers menus as if settings are changed accidentally like signal frequency it will result in a customer loosing their services... So it would be Kinda irresponsible.

But you can check signal levels anyway inside the setting menus.. Well apart from TiVo and vhd which aren't as clear
Old 17-12-2011, 19:01   #12
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
Yes I know

Tv perfect signal is -2dBmV
And as the TV service is spread across many frequencies perhaps you would be as kind as to tell us which one you are measuring?
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 23:44   #13
CambsTech
Inactive

Services: XL TV, 100Mb, Talk Unlimited
CambsTech is an unknown quantity at this point

Good question Jonny

I thought about flaming when I saw the response but if the customer has a good service after fiddling without a signal meter then all's good

Merry christmas all.
CambsTech is offline   Reply With Quote