Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 55 DbmV upstream power level

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

2x wireless work but ethernet don't...

Old 14-01-2009, 08:46   #1
heftyvibes!
Inactive

heftyvibes! is an unknown quantity at this point
2x wireless work but ethernet don't...

Hi there I have just came across a problem with my internet/router and here is hoping one of you can help me.

Well for starters there is no green tick on my router and in the wireless manager on my main computer (with the ethernet) its saying 'connection status - not connected', but what I don't understand it was working all good at 2.30am/3am this morning, so it seems the problem as occured recently.

My brothers computer and the laptop is connecting fine with wireless, and even the PS3 is connecting fine.

I have tried the good old 'take the power cable out for a few mins and reset everything' trick but yet still nothing.

So can any of you kind people help me out asap

Thanks in advanced! and yes I have paid my bill
heftyvibes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2009, 09:15   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: 2x wireless work but ethernet don't...

the wireless manager on your main computer will say not connected because you arent using a wireless adaptor to connect to the internet on the pc, you are used wired.

If your laptop and PS3 are connecting to the router and internet fine I would suggest that you make sure the cable is connected properly to your pc and router and change the cable and the port it is connected to on the router.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 09:45   #3
heftyvibes!
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
the wireless manager on your main computer will say not connected because you arent using a wireless adaptor to connect to the internet on the pc, you are used wired.

If your laptop and PS3 are connecting to the router and internet fine I would suggest that you make sure the cable is connected properly to your pc and router and change the cable and the port it is connected to on the router.
Thanks for the quick reply but it as always said connected before

I mean this bit...

It now says not connected on the main computer and like I said there is no green tick on the router and there should be shouldn't there?

I can't see it being the cable myself as its been working fine and was all good even early hours this morning.

---------- Post added at 09:45 ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 ----------

Sorry for the double post but I've managed to sort it for now lol

For some strange reason I had to obtain a new ip/dns.

Thanks for the help anyway and I will be sure to come back if anything else happens!
Old 14-01-2009, 10:28   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I am still confused. No green tick on the router means no connection so how was your laptop and ps3 connecting to the internet? If they could see each other over the lan (whch they should bea ble to do) then they should have been able to see the pc as well and vice versa
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 11:00   #5
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

The tick on the router goes off once it's properly started.
The light beside number 1, is the internet light, is this on?
Is number 1 lit to show you're connected?
Do you have the wireless manager installed on the other computers?
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 11:58   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Did your computer download and install any patches last night? Could that have corrupted / disabled your computer's ethernet port. Have a look in network connections to se what is enabled. Maybe even uninstall and then reinstall the drivers?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:56   #7
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer

The wireless manager reports connection status on wired and wireless connections, though exactly how it does it I don't know, but it isn't very accurate it will often indicate the connection is not working when it is.

If I am reading this correctly the OP's posts seem to indicate that the Wireless Manager was reporting the connection to the router was OK but the connection to the Internet was not OK. This will happen if you have a zeroconf IP (169.254.x.x) or a static IP in the incorrect range, this is borne out by the comment that suggests renewing or changing the IP fixed the problem.
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 13:17   #8
heftyvibes!
Inactive

I did edit my post to tell you I fixed so I'm sorry if you guys missed it,very much appreciate all the positive feedback in the end like the person said in the above post I just renewed my IP and everything was rosey!

Thanks again for the help anyway and will sure remember for next time!

Old 14-01-2009, 14:41   #9
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by heftyvibes! View Post
I did edit my post to tell you I fixed so I'm sorry if you guys missed it,very much appreciate all the positive feedback in the end like the person said in the above post I just renewed my IP and everything was rosey!

Thanks again for the help anyway and will sure remember for next time!

I was going to suggest, are you sure that the 2 devices connecting wirelessly are connecting to the router that you think you are connecting to lol...

All good that it is sorted now
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 15:08   #10
heftyvibes!
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk View Post
I was going to suggest, are you sure that the 2 devices connecting wirelessly are connecting to the router that you think you are connecting to lol...

All good that it is sorted now
Yes mate 100% sure it was connecting to the router,had the network name and password etc etc.

May just of been my computer as everything else seemed to work fine,sometimes my computer goes through glitches like that and 9 times out of 10 I always threat to put my foot through it