Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connecting PS3 to the Internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

The (stupidity of the) Metal Gear Online Beta

Old 20-04-2008, 19:50   #1
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
The (stupidity of the) Metal Gear Online Beta

So...

The MGO Beta is on the PSN Store.

Excellent

Except....

You then have to download an update for it... even though it's new.

Why is the version on the Store not the up to date version?

And... the update is downloaded outside the PSN, using P2P.... and takes *ages*, and hogs the connection, and can't be done in the background.

Then, when you're finally past that... you need to create a "Konami ID", followed by a separate "Game ID".

Eh? What's wrong with us being able to use our existing PSN IDs. Which, you know, are meant to be a single ID for everything...

And to top it off, the Konami website is useless, & many people are having major problems actually trying to sign up for the Konami ID in the first place.

There's a good story on Kotaku about it... can't like to it due to the URL being a bit rude though...

I've given up on it, myself.

Update: Too slow.

Konami ID & Game ID: Stupid idea, & I'm fed up with it timing out & giving various other errors.

Konami... you lose
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2008, 20:44   #2
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
Re: The (stupidity of the) Metal Gear Online Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
So...

Excellent

Except....

And... the update is downloaded outside the PSN, using P2P.... and takes *ages*, and hogs the connection, and can't be done in the background.

Then, when you're finally past that... you need to create a "Konami ID", followed by a separate "Game ID".

Eh? What's wrong with us being able to use our existing PSN IDs. Which, you know, are meant to be a single ID for everything...

And to top it off, the Konami website is useless, & many people are having major problems actually trying to sign up for the Konami ID in the first place.

There's a good story on Kotaku about it... can't like to it due to the URL being a bit rude though...

Konami ID & Game ID: Stupid idea, & I'm fed up with it timing out & giving various other errors.

Konami... you lose
I have given it with it too.

But remember its not live till Mon or Tues day. Also one word BETA
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 21:10   #3
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Matt I feel your pain. I have been so annoyed this weekend over trying to get a Konami Id. The bloody site fails everytime I try. I thought getting the patch was a pain but this Konami id is stupid. Also they took there servers down other day for emergency maintenence which fixed . . . . . .nothing at all. soon as its back up same problems.

I actually now beleive they wernt expecting as many to sign-up and these fails are there to stop so many sign-up's. Poor performance Konami ! ! ! Dont promise what you cant deliver !

Note- with it going live tomorrow there no chance at all you'll get it working tomorrow so unless its tonight then I guess were gonna miss out on this on.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 01:01   #4
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

It's ridiculous.

I can't see how Konami couldn't have realised it would be so popular, & I really can't see how anyone at Konami could have been so unbelievably stupid as to insist on ignoring PSN & making us all sign up for two extra online IDs (well, *try* to sign up!).

I mean, it's simple, isn't it? Use the PSN Store for downloading the up to date version of the Beta, and use PSN IDs for logging in to the game etc.

But, no... instead the Store has an out of date version (even though it only went up a few days ago!), so you have to update it - outside PSN - using some awful P2P method. And instead of using a unified online ID - such as, well, the PSN ID - we have to get both a Konami ID and a Game ID...if we're lucky enough for the Konami website to not time out.

It's a joke.

I've seen on other forums, that what few people have been lucky enough to get the update & get the IDs, are then having serious problems actually logging into the Beta, & the Konami servers are not holding up very well...

As I said before, I've given up on it.

The way Konami's farce is going, I don't think I'd have much of a chance to get a go at the MGO Beta before the GTA IV release.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 01:08   #5
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I have read poor previews/first-looks of the game itself on some sites/magazines. If anyone wants to know exactly where I could attempt to track it down. So you may not be missing much

It seems like there are severe problems with balancing and the competitiveness of the game, Apparently it become quite tedious and repetitive with one side having a overwhelming advantage due to something to do with the game mechanics. I didn't read the whole article (may have been in EDGE) so I am not clear on all the details there.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 01:08   #6
Cerberus
Permanently Banned

Cerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
So...

Excellent

Except....

Konami... you lose
Any chance you can PM me the link at all, without breaking rules?
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 01:15   #7
icestar2
Inactive

icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Any chance you can PM me the link at all, without breaking rules?
Link to what lol ? the konami Id page ? If so I've put it in the PSN New Store thread m8. If you mean about the P2P thing though well its actually in the beta itself. Just launch it and when you try start game it will tell you a newer version of the game is out then take you to a page with the choice to download via P2P or HTTP however the HTTP does not work so your forced into P2P which takes ages to pick up any decent seeds.

Konami have really let us down on this one.

Konami Id sign-up Page - http://id.konami.net (When it works)
Old 21-04-2008, 01:17   #8
Cerberus
Permanently Banned

Cerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of Quads

No, the link Matt D was talking about.
Old 21-04-2008, 01:20   #9
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
No, the link Matt D was talking about.
Lol just read it back and I see now. Sorry my mistake. Always reading things wrong.
Old 21-04-2008, 01:22   #10
Cerberus
Permanently Banned

Want the link sent to you?
Old 21-04-2008, 01:24   #11
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
Want the link sent to you?
Yeah sure thanks
Old 21-04-2008, 01:52   #12
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

Update was ok in terms of speed for me, granted konami think its good to limit the upload to twice the download speed (cause that'll do something!). The ID site is a joke though, complaining of inactivity after clicking the next link within 2 seconds. Only tips for that site is do it either 2/3am or 8am when most people are asleep.
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 02:05   #13
icestar2
Inactive

Ok the Konami website is now working for any1 still up. I just got through the registration without a single problem. Pages loaded fast and everything. Must of finally sorted there servers out.
Old 21-04-2008, 12:59   #14
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

Driving me mad this is!!!!!!

What does this mean?

Your Password must be a combination of alphanumeric characters of 8-32 characters in length.
Your GAME ID must be 8-32 characters in length using lower case letters, numbers, hyphens (-), underscores (_), and periods (.).
Please enter a GAME ID password 4-16 numbers in length.
Please enter a GAME ID password (Reenter to confirm) 4-16 numbers in length

CAn I not use: stoneisland1
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 14:09   #15
icestar2
Inactive

You GameID password has to be all numbers m8. At least 4 with a maximium of 16. Your game Id must use letters and numbers for example if I were to use my forum name maybe I would use something like - icestar2008

Hope thats helps ya along