Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Management Trial in Preston and Selly Oak

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Traffic Management Trial in Preston and Selly Oak

Old 14-03-2012, 01:18   #1
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough
Traffic Management Trial in Preston and Selly Oak

found this tonight

We use traffic management on our cable network to ensure the vast majority of our customers receive the high quality of service they expect. As part of the speed doubling programme, you'll enjoy faster speeds alongside increased peak time allowances enabling you to get even more out of your services. With significant additional investment being put into our network, we will be trialling a variety of different approaches to traffic management over the coming months to make the system more intelligent and flexible. To that end, we've started a STM trial in Preston and Selly Oak (Birmingham) this week that will last for the next 2 weeks.

Thanks

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...k/td-p/1091963
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2012, 09:31   #2
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
Re: Traffic Management Trial in Preston and Selly Oak

I expected the STM to change with the new speeds, but would like to know what the limits are but I got to wait till July for my upgrade so they should have decided by then what limits they will STM people.
Old 14-03-2012, 11:35   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

tbh, I would expect them to be proportional with the current tiers and one thing I would be looking at is does usage increase with speed. I can't be arsed to look up the current limits so as an example:

If a user is on 10mbit with an stm of 1.5gb and downloads 2gb on average per day. When he gets doubled the stm will be 3gb and assume 4gb per day.

I think it is fair atm to double the stm limits but i would love to know who usage patternc change. I can honestly say I dont download any more now on 100mbit than I did on 50mbit but some people will be stuck on the lower tiers due to financial constraints and if a family with teenagers know their speed is being increased I can see them taking advantage of it.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 12:04   #4
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

the STM limits will probably change differently as the latest rumour I heard was that protocol management was going out the window and they were bringing in STM for all packages
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 12:14   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

P2P and Newsgroups management isn't going
Old 14-03-2012, 12:19   #6
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

oh.... it was ignition who said it and said about "traffic management v2"

I thought there were new ofcom rules about traffic management and that was why they had to change it?
Old 14-03-2012, 12:35   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

long term it will be going but I was thinking of what they were going to do in the short term. I was expecting stm to be introduced to 100mbit if they are banging everyone on 50mbit up as well but I hope it is generous. 30gb is nothing these days but it is less than 1 hour of downloading so I would expect that to be a limit if they were going to introduce one.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 12:48   #8
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
oh.... it was ignition who said it and said about "traffic management v2"

I thought there were new ofcom rules about traffic management and that was why they had to change it?
they havent banned protocol management they just said it needs to be moderate only.

personally I hope what ignition said is true and VM adopt comcast style management, but I suspect VM have abandoned the idea and plan to just increase STM limits.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 12:55   #9
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

I don't think VM should put limits on anything, traffic management should just be utilisation based imo, therfore if your on a low utilised part of the network then you should never see STM apart from newsgroups and P2P restrictions of course.

I think it's a positive step that VM are maybe taking quality seriously for once, so good on them if that's the case.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 13:38   #10
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Considering anyone with an ounce of knowledge knows how to circumnavigate it there does not seem a point in it continuing

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 13:46   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

But not everyone has an ounce of knowledge.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 15:10   #12
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I think most people have enough knowledge, even torrent programs have options specifically labeled to evade shaping.

The future is something that isnt protocol sensitive. Protocol management is flawed.

Of course I agree with comments that ideally there should be no management, but VM are not in the business of selling limited use connections for higher prices, so there will always be some form of management at least for the forseeable future.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 18:32   #13
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The Allot kit isn't getting reconfigured with subscriber awareness based around IPDR records along with CMTS polling to allow it to manage based on individual subscriber usage and port load?
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 19:00   #14
keepitretro
Permanently Banned

keepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about them
Question Re: Traffic Management Trial in Preston and Selly Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
The Allot kit isn't getting reconfigured with subscriber awareness based around IPDR records along with CMTS polling to allow it to manage based on individual subscriber usage and port load?
is or isn't???????
keepitretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 19:03   #15
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

*sarcasm* hint hint