Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can VM trace unwanted marketing calls?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Can VM trace unwanted marketing calls?

Old 10-06-2011, 17:49   #1
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one
Can VM trace unwanted marketing calls?

I am signed up to the TPS and have been for atleast 2 years.

For the Past 2 weeks i keep getting calls from a call center that sounds Indian asking for a Mrs T Owen and ive told them on a number of occasions theres no one living here by that name and they have the wrong number.

Again now a few mins ago it happened and when i asked for the name of the company they hung up. When i dialled 1471 the callers number is witheld.

Is there anything that Virgin can do?
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2011, 17:29   #2
bonzoe
cf.mega poster

bonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud of
Re: Can VM trace unwanted marketing calls?

I've had the same experience, when I asked who they were they said they would ring back later, but I told them not to.................heard no more since.
bonzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 20:04   #3
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

On a similar subject - silent calls and no 1471 number. What does Virgin do to help identify offenders?
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 20:13   #4
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzoe View Post
I've had the same experience, when I asked who they were they said they would ring back later, but I told them not to.................heard no more since.
if they carry on phaps if i become offensive it may tip their hand to make a move so i can find out who they are.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 20:30   #5
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris View Post
I am signed up to the TPS and have been for atleast 2 years.

For the Past 2 weeks i keep getting calls from a call center that sounds Indian asking for a Mrs T Owen and ive told them on a number of occasions theres no one living here by that name and they have the wrong number.

Again now a few mins ago it happened and when i asked for the name of the company they hung up. When i dialled 1471 the callers number is witheld.

Is there anything that Virgin can do?
Theres not a lot VM can do about incomming calls.. if they were malicious then you could speak to the police, but mis-directed sales calls wouldn't be classed as malicious.

The other problem you have is they are with-holding their number, so you couldn't even get that number blocked. A last resort is Anon Caller reject, but that doesn't always work with International with-holds.

I use TrueCall myself, it's pricey to set up but so worth it if you are plagued by these type of calls.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 23:36   #6
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

I fail to see why Virgin cannot trace these calls for their customers as I would have thought all calls made to a vm number will be logged somewhere.
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:32   #7
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007stuart View Post
I fail to see why Virgin cannot trace these calls for their customers as I would have thought all calls made to a vm number will be logged somewhere.
Not possible as they will be routed from outside the UK and as the will be no ID on the call the is nothing to trace it with, if you know different please let us know.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:32   #8
jodash
Inactive

Services: Virgin VHDX1 Tivo X2 100mg B/B and Telephone (VIP) IPhone,Ipad
jodash is on a distinguished roadjodash is on a distinguished road

I have signed up with TPS for about 10 years now but still get these calls,also get these survey calls,when I ask are you selling me anything and the answer is yes I then mention TPS
jodash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:13   #9
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

As have I.

I have caller display and never answer the telephone unless I recognise the number. Therefore, I ignore all these "international" calls althogh it does annoy me when I get several of them each day, as can be the case sometimes.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 12:19   #10
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Register with TPS, be ex-directory, never give your landline number out to anybody , always opt out of marketing and be careful with your personal info. On websites that insist on having your tel no. , using the tel no. 01234567890 works a treat. Works for me, I get no marketing/silent calls. If your number is already doing the rounds its too late, change your no. and start again is your only option. The only sales call I've received in the last year have been from Virgin Media........
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 19:39   #11
grim reaper
Inactive

Services: 30meg, phone, tv xl
grim reaper is just really nicegrim reaper is just really nicegrim reaper is just really nicegrim reaper is just really nicegrim reaper is just really nicegrim reaper is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
never give your landline number out to anybody ,
defeeats the object of having a phone .... as "anybody" will obviously have to include friends and family, .... still, not a bad idea if you want to become a recluse
grim reaper is offline   Reply With Quote