Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 24-06-2016, 22:17   #31
RBMark

Re: Should the UK invoke Article 50?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It's the nature of trade that is the issue. I.E Tariffs on services? We have a problem.
We can add tariffs on their services, I'm not sure you understand just how massive the UK economy is. Somehow someone has eroded any faith or belief you have in your country. Let me tell you on behalf of 17plus million leave voters- you're going to be ok, we won't let you down, we won't leave you behind, we love you and we love Britain. It's going to be awkward and uncomfortable for a little while. Stick together work hard and we will be ok!

Advertisement
Old 24-06-2016, 22:32   #32
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
They have access to it as do many other countries
No they don't. They have a Trade Agreement not access to the single market.

There's a difference, look it up.
Old 24-06-2016, 22:36   #33
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

I'm certain Aldi and Lidl will want to close all their UK stores immediately. All that UK growth and profit they're enjoying in this market won't be missed at all...
Old 24-06-2016, 22:40   #34
RBMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I'm certain Aldi and Lidl will want to close all their UK stores immediately. All that UK growth and profit they're enjoying in this market won't be missed at all...

Don't worry, if they do Tesco/ASDA/Sainsburys/Morrisons/Home Bargains etc will be happy to sell us their goods instead. As a market to sell to the UK is unmatched and irreplaceable.

Old 24-06-2016, 23:34   #35
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

If Scotland gets another referendum I think they'll win it. They're getting a lot of support from previous No voters and one of the most Unionist papers in Scotland the last time around, The Daily Record, is backing another one this time.
Old 24-06-2016, 23:37   #36
RBMark

Quote:
If Scotland gets another referendum I think they'll win it. They're getting a lot of support from previous No voters and one of the most Unionist papers in Scotland the last time around, The Daily Record, is backing another one this time.
I hope you do get your referendum, and millions and millions of Brexit Leave voters will congratulate whatever you decide. None of this nasty sour grapes you and your failed remainers have been dishing out!

Old 24-06-2016, 23:40   #37
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

At least UKIP are essentially a dead party with Farage leading the way. Top bloke he is, getting caught telling fibs and being made to look like a tool. Who am I kidding, its hardly the first time he's told lies. Just hoping that one was the final nail. Absolute donkey of a bloke. Scares me anyone could actually think voting for a ****** like that would bring change.

'I never said that' - Nigel Farage "Since the beginning of time"
'Someone tried to assassinate me' 'But I was caught lying again..'

They should tag this next to his name every time he's on TV.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 24-06-2016 at 23:46.
Old 24-06-2016, 23:46   #38
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
No they don't. They have a Trade Agreement not access to the single market.

There's a difference, look it up.
Yes they do

Quote:
Every developed country has access to the single market. The EU has a relatively low external tariff with the exception of certain goods such as agriculture. The inconvenient truth is that non-members of the EU have often exploited the single market far more successfully than we have.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ss-to-the-sin/

We do not need to be a member of the single market to have access ,look it up

Old 24-06-2016, 23:47   #39
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Can someone please explain this.

I was told today, that the country that is most worried is Poland, and the polish people that are here already.

Now that we have voted to get out of Europe. Surely that IF Polish residents are here. It wont effect them ?
Old 24-06-2016, 23:50   #40
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMark View Post
Don't worry, if they do Tesco/ASDA/Sainsburys/Morrisons/Home Bargains etc will be happy to sell us their goods instead. As a market to sell to the UK is unmatched and irreplaceable.
When you have some time do check the labels on various goods from those outlets.

See where things like ketchup and lemon juice in Asda, or Smash are made and processed. Maybe have a look at how much of the beef is Irish. We are connected to the EU in far more ways than the obvious. A ton of our goods go through the EU at some point in the supply chain.

As far as unmatched and irreplaceable are going you are joking, right? I would speculate the USA and China are somewhat larger markets, neither has a free trade deal with the EU or access to the common market.

The German car manufacturers will lobby Brussels hard, no question. They will also hit a lot of resistance. Bending the rules to accommodate us creates an existential issue for the EU. We don't match up as far as Germany's exporters go to the rest of the EU combined. We aren't irreplaceable, we aren't unmatched and we aren't greater than the rest of the EU combined.

If we go into negotiations with that frankly incredibly arrogant attitude we will leave with nothing. The EU would definitely love to have us trade freely with them, but not at any price.

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

Quote:
It won't be held until the SNP are quite sure they can win it, and there's not much that we can offer them to convince them to stay. Brexit has shown that dour economic arguments don't seem to carry much weight, and of course we aren't offering the status quo.

From their point of view both options carry risk. We at least previously had stability to offer them, and don't now.
Old 24-06-2016, 23:53   #41
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Imagine if England won Euro 2016 now. You'd have to wonder what else is coming this year.

Is there any substance behind a company like Nissan closing its doors and putting ten thousand out of work when the UK does leave the EU and if any deals are just simply not good enough. Unsure of non EU exports.

Nissan constantly exports via Tyne dock around Europe I expect

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 24-06-2016 at 23:59.
Old 24-06-2016, 23:58   #42
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
We can add tariffs on their services, I'm not sure you understand just how massive the UK economy is.
I don't think you understand how massively positive our balance of payments on services is with the EU.

You know, that same argument that keeps being used to claim the EU will be falling over themselves to have a free trade agreement over goods.

A large part of our services exported to the EU are financial ones. Even without tariffs there are barriers.

Passporting is a very, very big deal. We have extremely privileged access to the Eurozone's financial services markets.

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Is there any substance behind a company like Nissan closing its doors and putting ten thousand out of work when the UK does leave the EU and if any deals are just simply not good enough.
Yes. Why would you maintain manufacturing in a country that's pretty expensive to manufacture in anyway, along with having the products it produces be more expensive due to import tariffs when you can simply move the production to Eastern Europe, pay less to manufacture and pay no import tariffs?
Old 25-06-2016, 00:08   #43
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I don't think you understand how massively positive our balance of payments on services is with the EU.

You know, that same argument that keeps being used to claim the EU will be falling over themselves to have a free trade agreement over goods.

A large part of our services exported to the EU are financial ones. Even without tariffs there are barriers.

Passporting is a very, very big deal. We have extremely privileged access to the Eurozone's financial services markets.

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

Yes. Why would you maintain manufacturing in a country that's pretty expensive to manufacture in anyway, along with having the products it produces be more expensive due to import tariffs when you can simply move the production to Eastern Europe, pay less to manufacture and pay no import tariffs?
When put like that it sounds like absolute madness that Sunderland got a landslide Leave vote. From this perspective I don't really understand a great lot but it appears they've potentially voted themselves out of jobs in a game of chance or hope etc. All I see is the word uncertainty being thrown all over. If it comes off and we do better they can celebrate but if it goes tits up then 'ah tough luck'

I honestly don't think people in said areas got enough information on the potential risks. I mean without some googling I would've been left with no information at all. I got that Cameron leaflet and that's about it. That only further adds to the argument that Remain made an arse of things.

Got posts flying around about some kid that voted leave because lulz.. Didn't expect it to happen. Absolute bell end.

I see a lot of 'we're going to negotiate this and that' but no guarantee that any of it will be any better if not worse than we already had.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 25-06-2016 at 00:12.
Old 25-06-2016, 00:08   #44
RizzyKing

It's not even been a day since the vote and remainers are calling for change and this and that while still slinging doom and gloom, are they really that dense to not understand that it was exactly that superior scaremongering attitude that cost them the vote. Nearly everyone I have spoken too including a few that voted remain have all criticised the remain campaign and even after polls showed it wasn't working they stuck with it and increased the scare mongering.

The UK is not unique or irreplaceable to the EU but pretending we're on the same level as Norway is ridiculous. We have long standing trade with many countries and company's within those countries and they weren't trading with us because we were a member of the EU they were trading because we could offer what they needed at the right price that hasn't changed and that's why business all over the EU is telling the politicians they want free trade to continue between the UK and the EU.

What happens next is going to take time and needs calm constructive people to negotiate it not knee jerk reactionaries. Remain need to accept the result and get behind the UK in making sure we get the best deal we can. As for the ludicrous assertion that it was "selfish over 50's" that swung this I am not over 50 nor is my wife and after looking into it I decided to vote leave not for me but for my kids and their future. Being selfish I'd have voted remain as for my personal circumstances remain was the safe bet but looking at the future and the likely economic troubles the EU will face I wasn't prepared to sign my kids up for that.

The UK is a great country with a great people and it not only has a future outside the EU but it has a good future being more involved in the whole world and a more secure future that will be a benefit. It's time for some people to stop talking this country down and continuing a failed campaign and accept the path that's been chosen.

Old 25-06-2016, 00:11   #45
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I hope you do get your referendum, and millions and millions of Brexit Leave voters will congratulate whatever you decide. None of this nasty sour grapes you and your failed remainers have been dishing out!
I am not Scottish nor do I live in Scotland. It isn't 'my' referendum. Also I have hardly been nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Yes they do

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ss-to-the-sin/

We do not need to be a member of the single market to have access ,look it up
They have access to it in terms of being able to trade with it but not being in it. Being inside is different. It means everyone can operate within a common system, regulatory framework, employment market and so on.
Closed Thread