Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 01-08-2015, 12:02   #1096
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Is anyone having issues with shut down as in the machine is still operational after the display is knocked out?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2015, 12:33   #1097
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Sigh! The inability to block ads in MS Edge is causing a whining, whinging noise to come from my other half..I guess he's going to have to get use to Firefox..
Old 01-08-2015, 12:52   #1098
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
Is anyone having issues with shut down as in the machine is still operational after the display is knocked out?
I don't have issues but sometimes it installs the updates when it is shut down.

Not really related but did you see my post about your PC being used to distribute updates to other people on the internet as the default is ON a few posts up the page?

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Sigh! The inability to block ads in MS Edge is causing a whining, whinging noise to come from my other half..I guess he's going to have to get use to Firefox..
I want to try Edge but until they enable extension support i can't.
Old 01-08-2015, 15:25   #1099
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

It isn't update related although I have adjusted update settings thanks

To be a little clearer the final phase during shutdown the screen goes blank but the machine remains on for 10 odd seconds. Seems a bit odd.
Old 01-08-2015, 16:35   #1100
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

i just read on google search some people did clean install without windows 7 or windows 8.1 and got windows 10 insider preview got a free RTM.

command prompt slmgr /xpr it says permanently activated.
some people got windows pirate and got free windows 10.
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 17:42   #1101
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
i just read on google search some people did clean install without windows 7 or windows 8.1 and got windows 10 insider preview got a free RTM.

command prompt slmgr /xpr it says permanently activated.
some people got windows pirate and got free windows 10.
read about it here http://forums.mydigitallife.info/forums/54-Windows-10?
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 17:52   #1102
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

To be a little clearer the final phase during shutdown the screen goes blank but the machine remains on for 10 odd seconds. Seems a bit odd.
What makes you think it isn't update related as it clearly says it is?

Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (21.1 KB, 143 views)
Old 01-08-2015, 18:02   #1103
thenry
Inactive

I've turned it off and the shutdown hold up or screw up still persists.
Old 01-08-2015, 18:21   #1104
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
I've turned it off and the shutdown hold up or screw up still persists.
I wasn't saying this update thing i posted was anything to do with your shutdown problem, i was just pointing it out.

You probably have another setting switched on that is slowing it down somewhere.
Old 01-08-2015, 18:56   #1105
thenry
Inactive

What I meant was the issue isn't update related but thank you for bringing windows update distribution to my attention.

Quote:

There are no messages regarding updates being installed processed or otherwise during shutdown for the shutdown issue to be present due to updates being installed.
Old 01-08-2015, 21:58   #1106
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Well, my Start Menu and Cortana is broken, again.

This happened in an insider build and the fixes from then work until a reboot occurs. Going to have to do some investimigations.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 22:01   #1107
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It View Post
Well, my Start Menu and Cortana is broken, again.

This happened in an insider build and the fixes from then work until a reboot occurs. Going to have to do some investimigations.
have you done a sfc/scannow in command prompt to make sure no corrupt files
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 22:03   #1108
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
have you done a sfc/scannow in command prompt to make sure no corrupt files
Not as yet, going to play around this evening and see what's up.

Aside from that Windows 10 has been very good to me but something clearly has hit a snag there.

Edit: Nothing Found there.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 23:13   #1109
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It View Post
Not as yet, going to play around this evening and see what's up.

Aside from that Windows 10 has been very good to me but something clearly has hit a snag there.

Edit: Nothing Found there.
No idea if this will work but try going into tablet mode then back to the desktop.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:02   #1110
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Just turned it off so that my laptop doesn't share updates out. can you imagine those on a limited bandwidth not knowing about this
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote