Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT to separate from Openreach

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Any Kelly Communications Openreach Contractors Here? Opinions Welcome

Old 26-05-2014, 15:24   #1
-Chris
Inactive

-Chris is an unknown quantity at this point
Any Kelly Communications Openreach Contractors Here? Opinions Welcome

I'd be interested to hear thoughts and opinions from current and ex employees.

I found a thread on here (via Google) in relation to Kelly's but I can't seem to find it again and this section looks to have been cleaned out as I only see 5 threads in this entire section. If I am doing something wrong or have a setting turned off please do let me know, as it seems a bit odd for a forum of 89,000 members to have 5 threads in an entire section dedicated to all non-virgin media services.

Anyway, when I read many of the reviews it almost put me off applying for the position. There were so many bad reviews and so many people complaining how bad they had been treated. In the end I applied and I am so glad I did.

I have had nothing but a positive experience with Kelly's so far. The training was amazing, and my current team and managers are really good people who have patiently answered any questions I have and are always there to offer support if I need it. I know this can vary from area to area though, in some areas the team are not very nice and the managers are not organised, but I have not found this to be the case at all in my area. I am from North West Cumbria and the team is pretty solid.

I'm coming to the end of my training now, I’ve been buddying for 3 weeks so far on £60 a day, and got my van and tools on day 3 so I have just been following my experienced engineer around in it since. Will be on my own soon but I have many numbers in my phone to call including my managers to call if I am ever stuck when working on my own.

I'd be interested to hear other opinions from employees though as it seems other people have not been so lucky and have fallen into a bad team. I just came to perhaps ease the minds of some people who are thinking of applying (as we are recruiting a lot of engineers at the moment) to just give it a go first, you never know, the team you are put in may be very organised and friendly and in terms of work load, most buildings have a line already in them, so most the time it's easy money at £25 a job with the company paying for all the travel costs. They also don't send me further than 25 miles from home and I usually get my jobs in the same area for that day, although the area does vary, but usually if you get your first job in that area then it means you are staying in that area for the rest of the day (most of the time). I did read that some managers were sending their engineers all over the place which seems to make little sense for both you and the company, if it happens just speak up otherwise they will never notice you, it could just be a mistake/confusion on their part.

Anyway, thoughts and opinions welcome .
-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2014, 18:06   #2
judgey
Inactive

judgey is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Any Kelly Communications Openreach Contractors Here? Opinions Welcome

well i would like to apply for my area {Notts} but i can not find them.
judgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 18:39   #3
-Chris
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgey View Post
well i would like to apply for my area {Notts} but i can not find them.
http://www.kelly.co.uk/contact-us/contact-kelly-group

Just call them directly on the phone, that's how I did it. It's best to deal with them directly on the phone rather than wait for a job advert or send an e-mail. Can't harm to ask, but right now they are recruiting a lot of engineers and offering full training. They pay for everything except the travel to and from the training which would be either in Dunstable or Coventry. They might not want engineers for your area though, but can't harm to ask.
Old 04-06-2014, 16:51   #4
Damoa666
Inactive

Damoa666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all - i completed my telephone interview and was offered a role on the 16th May. i accepted and was asked to start training on the 9th June so handed in my notice in my current employment to reflect this (as you do).
On the day of accepting the role emails were quickly sent for references etc and was told they would be in contact within 2 weeks to confirm training arrangements etc. I called today explaining i hadn't received any correspondence to be told i have to call back Monday asking for a specific person as they are away at the moment. Now as you can imagine i'm worried. Has anybody else experienced this?
Damoa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 20:44   #5
judgey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoa666 View Post
Hi all - i completed my telephone interview and was offered a role on the 16th May. i accepted and was asked to start training on the 9th June so handed in my notice in my current employment to reflect this (as you do).
On the day of accepting the role emails were quickly sent for references etc and was told they would be in contact within 2 weeks to confirm training arrangements etc. I called today explaining i hadn't received any correspondence to be told i have to call back Monday asking for a specific person as they are away at the moment. Now as you can imagine i'm worried. Has anybody else experienced this?

is this with Kelly's or Quinns
Old 05-06-2014, 13:26   #6
Damoa666
Inactive

Damoa666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kelly's
Damoa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 21:37   #7
-Chris
Inactive

Damn looks like they missed you off the list for whatever reason. You should be on the programme they will have just noted your e-mail down incorrectly I would imagine? Call them to confirm your e-mail address.

I got my info for training the week before in an e-mail, although I was told my exact training dates and where I was going to be during the interview stage.
Old 15-06-2014, 23:24   #8
Paulsutherland
Inactive

Paulsutherland is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

I was called a year and a half ago for a telephone interview, but couldn't attend the training at that time. I was contacted in February this year, passed a telephone interview and was invited onto the training course on April this year.

I was told I would have to do a minimum of 4 jobs per day. Each job was paid at different amounts. I was told it was a self employed position and I would be paid through LCL, a CIS payment company fortnightly.

At NO point during either telephone interview was I told that I MUST work away from home 1 week in 4 in Aberdeen.
I accepted the training position and was emailed all the information required for accommodation etc.

I started 2 weeks training in Dunstable on April 28th, travelling down from Bathgate in Scotland both weeks of my training.

The first 2 days were held in a hotel 20 minutes from Dunstable. Both days involved "training" on H&S, using the company vehicle, rules relating to the job etc.
ALL the answers to the questions were given to us by the trainers. We were all to sit a formal test on the first day, the trainer told us that it was a formal test, no talking, no using our smart phones etc to get the answers and no copying from each other. Then he went into tell us "the test will last 20 minutes, I'm leaving the meeting room for 20 minutes to make a phone call".

EVERY part of the training was a joke. All the trainers gave the answers to all tests taken and everyone passed at 100% pass mark.
Days 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 We were all to carry out pole training & further tests. We were told of we failed the pole training we were to retrain or we would have no job. 2 guys failed, but guess what? Both were put out in the field without having to pole train again. On day 3 a guy called Brin came to speak to us about how we would be paid. He worked for LCL, I asked lots of questions but it was like trying to pull teeth. He was NOT forthcoming with answers. I states in the LCL contract you will be deducted £500 for training if you leave/sacked within 12 months. I asked about this, but was not given a straight answer.

I started my training in Scotland at the Bathgate office on the third Monday. I was told to come to the office for 8. I arrived, but guess what? No engineer to take me out. They ended up calling a guy 2.5 hours away in Fife to come pick me up. He arrived around 1020. I felt sorry of him, but he had no choice. He made it clear what I was getting into & that I must take my turn 1 in 4 to go and work in Aberdeen for a week at a time.
Day 2 I was out with what hey called a SENIOR engineer. Another joke, this guy installed the 2 jobs he had the complete opposite of what the showed us in the training school. Run cables under carpets, under carpet bars, round door checks etc and fitted NTEs on top of carpet. Really crap installs.
This SENIOR engineer said the same as the guy from day 1, told me axactly what the job was like and that I must take my turn 1 in 4 to go and work in Aberdeen for a week at a time.
Days 3, 4 & 5 the SENIOR engineer refused to take me out.

Week four, days 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 were a complete joke. The next SENIOR engineer was bish bash bosh. Cut corners, completed installs as quickly as possible and left them below BT training standard. Took GREAT delight in telling me he takes engineers wages off them for fixing jobs they can't complete due to faults at the exchange.

It's far to easy to lose money carrying out price work for Kelly's. the training is well below standard, with the trainers giving you 100% of the answers during the tests so everyone passes and gets out in the field.

The engineers that your out working with dont want to spend the time to help you get experience, they just want to get the jobs in make money and go home AND want to take your wages too for fixing faults that's not your fault.

Then when I speak to the area manager to ask him about the 1 in 4 working away issue I'm told if I'm not happy to do it I've no job.

I tell him I can't work away due to family and other working commitments, I'm told if I'm carrying out other work of my own I'm no good to Kelly's. please bear in mind, YOUR SELF EMPLOYED so why would you ONLY be doing work for Kelly's???

They took £500 from my send last wage, bumped me out if 2 days training money and almost didn't pay me the other 3 days. I asked LCL for proof of the deduction, it took them 2 weeks to provide the deduction proof in black & white. It was like trying to pull teeth, Kelly's did not want to provide it to me.
Currently taking advice from ACAS & a local solicitor.

All in all THE WORST EXPERIENCE SO FAR.

If you have any questions please ask away.

Please please AVOID AVOID AVOID Kelly's like the plague.
Paulsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 19:29   #9
Ogri1
Inactive

Ogri1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,although I have read some bad reports on here re Kelly's! I am attending training on the 7th of July and hopefully all will be ok.
I have worked in the past For the likes of AVC and feel confident that no other company could possibly be that bad! But we will see on another note is anyone else on here attending the training on the 7th from the West Country ?
Ogri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 21:28   #10
mines
Inactive

mines is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri1 View Post
Hi,although I have read some bad reports on here re Kelly's! I am attending training on the 7th of July and hopefully all will be ok.
I have worked in the past For the likes of AVC and feel confident that no other company could possibly be that bad! But we will see on another note is anyone else on here attending the training on the 7th from the West Country ?
How's it going so far Ogri?
mines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 16:47   #11
pegasis
Inactive

pegasis is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish you good luck in training for kellys seeing as there trainers dont have a clue and all they give you is as little as possible training and tell you a load of bull about how great kellys are well ask them why they have such a massive turnover of engineers and also ask them how much profits they lost last finance year i bet they laugh and say we are the best and are a preffered contractor and all that bull. I would stay clear if i was you and go to quinns trust me you will earn alot more money or even better apply to a professional company like openreach and stay away from cowboys and bullies like kellys

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

Now this a funny qoute more thank likely you have either brand new to the game and blind deaf and dumb or you one of the sim lot trying to stick up for kelly communications which ever is you still makes me laugh as on average i travelled 2 -3 hours for my first job and same most of the day. No help or support from sim all they seem to do is sit at home and ignore the phones. Or they come out and see you and have no clue what to even look for as most of the sim are pretty new and havr never done the job longer than 2 years if that. Theu just bunch of bullies who hide behind a wall from kellys upper management who are also a bunch of ***** who think they are hard as nails over the phone but when you square up to them to ask them to explain why they balled shouted and swearing down the phone at you they just cower away lollll makes.me.laugh bunch of no hopers who dont really have a clue about the job or even k ow how to manage a team of engineers lmaookkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Chris View Post

I found a thread on here (via Google) in relation to Kelly's but I can't seem to find it again and this section looks to have been cleaned out as I only see 5 threads in this entire section. If I am doing something wrong or have a setting turned off please do let me know, as it seems a bit odd for a forum of 89,000 members to have 5 threads in an entire section dedicated to all non-virgin media services.

Anyway, when I read many of the reviews it almost put me off applying for the position. There were so many bad reviews and so many people complaining how bad they had been treated. In the end I applied and I am so glad I did.

I have had nothing but a positive experience with Kelly's so far. The training was amazing, and my current team and managers are really good people who have patiently answered any questions I have and are always there to offer support if I need it. I know this can vary from area to area though, in some areas the team are not very nice and the managers are not organised, but I have not found this to be the case at all in my area. I am from North West Cumbria and the team is pretty solid.

I'm coming to the end of my training now, I’ve been buddying for 3 weeks so far on £60 a day, and got my van and tools on day 3 so I have just been following my experienced engineer around in it since. Will be on my own soon but I have many numbers in my phone to call including my managers to call if I am ever stuck when working on my own.

I'd be interested to hear other opinions from employees though as it seems other people have not been so lucky and have fallen into a bad team. I just came to perhaps ease the minds of some people who are thinking of applying (as we are recruiting a lot of engineers at the moment) to just give it a go first, you never know, the team you are put in may be very organised and friendly and in terms of work load, most buildings have a line already in them, so most the time it's easy money at £25 a job with the company paying for all the travel costs. They also don't send me further than 25 miles from home and I usually get my jobs in the same area for that day, although the area does vary, but usually if you get your first job in that area then it means you are staying in that area for the rest of the day (most of the time). I did read that some managers were sending their engineers all over the place which seems to make little sense for both you and the company, if it happens just speak up otherwise they will never notice you, it could just be a mistake/confusion on their part.

pegasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 01:27   #12
totally wired
Inactive

totally wired is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Chris View Post

Hi Chris. I have also applied for this position in the north west. How are you finding it after a few months now, as i have also been left a little daunted from peoples mixed reviews of the job. Im also a little nervous as 1: i have never done a role like this and 2: im a little worried about there "self employed" method as i have regular outgoings and a family to provide for. How steady is the income, and are you enjoying it as much as when u first started? Your advice will be most welcome. Thanks.
totally wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 16:30   #13
Danny2505
Inactive

Danny2505 is an unknown quantity at this point

Please don't apply for kellys they are so bad it's beyond words, I spent 19 years in the Army I was already self employed as a telecommunications engineer but the work took me away from home all the time, after all that time in the infantry I just wanted to be home and have a chilled job.

How wrong I was it all started with a 2 week course I learnt nothing it was rushed from day 1 the instructors where good but the dregs of low life's they had on the course was embarrassing, they expected these mongs to go I to people's house they could not even tie there own shoes.

I had a knee operation before leaving the Army and was struggling with my knee being knelt down at PCP's all day so I i formed my manager I was going sick he was good and said ok get your knee sorted before you return.

I was phoned at home stating that I needed to hand my can back by this time I had only had it a couple of months as I was waiting 3 months for it. If I did not hand it back I would get charged £75 a day for it so I decided I would do 1 more week to earn some cash to cover me why I was on the sick , so done that week In pain and spoke with my boss about money he said you will get paid as your not leaving your just going sick for a month of physio, pay day arrived and no money I spoke with my boss and he gave me welfares number they was not helpful at all upon sending email to a so called area manager ( frank) he totally ignored me and got somebody else to email saying that they where holding the money as it was for my training fee,

And I would not receive this money I was going to return but now they can bite my **** I was a good engineer with no comaints at all and this is how they treat me,

All I can advise is don't join everybody that was on my course that could hold a conservation and kept in touch with have left and 1 of them was ex bt so think long and hard before applying as I guarantee It won't be worh it and you will be treat like poo

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny2505 View Post
Please don't apply for kellys they are so bad it's beyond words, I spent 19 years in the Army I was already self employed as a telecommunications engineer but the work took me away from home all the time, after all that time in the infantry I just wanted to be home and have a chilled job.

How wrong I was it all started with a 2 week course I learnt nothing it was rushed from day 1 the instructors where good but the dregs of low life's they had on the course was embarrassing, they expected these mongs to go into people's house they could not even tie there own shoes.

I had a knee operation before leaving the Army and was struggling with my knee being knelt down at PCP's all day so I i formed my manager I was going sick he was good and said ok get your knee sorted before you return.

I was phoned at home stating that I needed to hand my van back by this time I had only had it a couple of months as I was waiting 3 months for it. If I did not hand it back I would get charged £75 a day for it so I decided I would do 1 more week to earn some cash to cover me why I was on the sick , so done that week In pain and spoke with my boss about money he said you will get paid as your not leaving your just going sick for a month of physio, pay day arrived and no money I spoke with my boss and he gave me welfares number they was not helpful at all upon sending email to a so called area manager ( frank) he totally ignored me and got somebody else to email saying that they where holding the money as it was for my training fee,

And I would not receive this money I was going to return but now they can bite my **** I was a good engineer with no comaints at all and this is how they treat me,

All I can advise is don't join everybody that was on my course that could hold a conservation and kept in touch with have left and 1 of them was ex bt so think long and hard before applying as I guarantee It won't be worh it and you will be treat like poo
Danny2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 21:22   #14
judgey
Inactive

Has any one got any news on Kelly's now, thoses of you that are working there ??
As i am suppose to start on the 5th of Jan for 2 weeks training.

But i heard BT were taking on 1600 engineers so im wondering how long the contract would last because surely they wouldnt need so many contractors ??
Old 18-01-2015, 20:14   #15
insulatorpotty
Inactive

insulatorpotty is an unknown quantity at this point

dont bother, quinns are ****,kellys are worse.
insulatorpotty is offline   Reply With Quote