Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Football on Virgin Media UK (2016/2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

V6 installation

Old 26-07-2017, 18:46   #1
kered10
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media Big Kahuna with TiVo
kered10 is an unknown quantity at this point
V6 installation

Just a few notes about my recent experience.
My existing package was Full House TV with a 1GB TiVo, 100Mb broadband, and Talk more anytime, and having paid annual line-rental saver, this was £59.48 per month.
I phoned to ask about a V6 install, and move the TiVo to another room, to have two boxes. I was quoted £20 one-off cost, and monthly charge £65, which I accepted. I asked if the WiFi would be improved by changing my SH2 to Hub 3, and they were hesitant, but said I could have that included. I don't know if the old and new charges would be considered cheap, fair, or expensive, but I'll probably let that run until my line-rental saver expires, then enquire if this is as good as I can get.
I didn't want extra cables stapled to skirting boards, so I bought some RG6 coax, and some network cable, and ran cables through the loft. I terminated the network cable myself, and not being very experienced, was unsurprised to have the cable tester show incomplete connections (I forget, something like, 123567 good, 4&8 not. But plugging a laptop into it with WiFi off, I got speeds of 96Mb, so it seems acceptably good.) I left the RG6 for the install engineer to fit plugs to.
The engineer arrived on time. He looked suspiciously at my RG6 coax, but went ahead and fitted plugs to it. Both boxes booted up OK and showed the correct channel lists.
Before the engineer left, he said I could not have a Hub 3, and said that I would not get full multi-room functionality (watching a program from one box in the other room) as this was only possible with two V6s, not a V6 and a TiVo.
After he was gone and everything settled down with the boxes, I found that was incorrect. Everything I thought should work did - watch on one box in the kitchen, pause after finishing a meal, resume on the other box in the lounge. And I can access both boxes from the TV Anywhere app.
The next day I phoned Virgin to check if I was going mad about thinking I would get a Hub 3. I wasn't, so they apologised for that. I've left it just now, as the SH2 is working fairly well, but they say they've noted on my file that I can have the Hub 3 later if I wish.
Overall, this has been a successful install, and the V6 seems good, but a little disappointing that the engineer denied me the Hub 3, and didn't know that a TiVo can multi-room with a V6.
Derek
kered10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-07-2017, 20:28   #2
i am not scouse
cf.member

Services: 65"Samsung 4k tv. X2 v6 x3tivo's 200mb bb and a phone line I don't use.
i am not scouse is on a distinguished roadi am not scouse is on a distinguished road
Re: V6 installation

Ok
i am not scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 21:09   #3
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: V6 installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am not scouse View Post
Ok

Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote