Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo V6 compared to SkyQ

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TiVo V6 compared to SkyQ

Old 22-04-2017, 21:07   #1
Doctor_YOU
Inactive

Doctor_YOU is an unknown quantity at this point
TiVo V6 compared to SkyQ

As title..

So I've had both, and for a few weeks I had both systems at the same time. Let me tell you there is nothing in it, nothing at all. Where one wins in one area another wins in another area.

Box speed is the same, responsiveness is the same, Sky has a bit more content (sky Atlantic) But Virgin has a bit more speed (300Mb/s)

If you can still get the Limited edition Full house with movies from VM that comes with 200mb/s fibre and a V6 plus phone then go for it. Add a second V6 for under a tenner a month, Sky cant match it!
Doctor_YOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2017, 22:55   #2
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: TiVo V6 compared to SkyQ

Yes, I gather there's not a lot in it, but I've not had any personal experience of Sky Q to date.

I am certainly extremely satisfied with the V6, which works very well for me.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 14:18   #3
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

SkyQ will only let you have 1 recording box (this means if that box crashes all recordings fail until rebooted. (V6 wins)

SkyQ cannot record 12 programmes at once as V6 does,including 2nd box (V6 wins)

SkyQ has 2 Tb disk (SkyQ wins)

SkyQ has UHD channels (SkyQ wins)

SkyQ has Sky Atlantic (SkyQ wins)

Neither box has scart output - major disappointment!

So it depends on what is most important to you personally as to which suits you best.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 15:06   #4
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
SkyQ will only let you have 1 recording box (this means if that box crashes all recordings fail until rebooted. (V6 wins)

If you have a second V6, then you have 2Tb of disk as you can play recordings from both boxes on either TV.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 15:28   #5
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
If you have a second V6, then you have 2Tb of disk as you can play recordings from both boxes on either TV.

Agreed, that would then be a draw - however with V6 you would have to pay an extra monthly fee so possibly a SkyQ win?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 15:31   #6
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

As a revered venerable forum member would say they both are very good with their good points and their bad points.
Old 23-04-2017, 16:40   #7
Doctor_YOU
Inactive

Overall I'm thinking the TiVo V6 wins. When Virgin do start doing UHD all V6's in your house will be able to show UHD. On SkyQ only the SkyQ 2tb is capable of showing UHD content. If you have SkyQ 1tb you cannot get UHD content, the SkyQ minis do not show UHD content.

The SkyQ minis rely 100% on a wifi or Ethernet connect. If your house is not wired in every room for Ethernet then you're relying on wifi to send the picture, sound to your SkyQ mini, and when you have 2 minis running on a Dolby enabled HD channel the things can get pretty choppy.

The V6 is what everyone thought the TiVo would be, as long as VM keep it running fast and keep it updated then it's going to be a huge win for them. UHD won't lose them any customers, football and formula 1 in UHD is not that different from HD. If the leap from HD to UHD matched the leap from SD to HD then yeah UHD would be a strong selling point, but it just isn't.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Quote:
Agreed, that would then be a draw - however with V6 you would have to pay an extra monthly fee so possibly a SkyQ win?

SkyQ now has a multi room fee of £12 a month if you want a mini, the price for a second V6 is around £7. But that's easily negotiated downwards with some polite and friendly chat to customer services.

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:13 ----------

An just to add, I'm currently enjoying Arsenal V ManCity in HD iNthe FA Cup at no extra charge.

Don't get me wrong though, the original TiVo was a useless piece of crap in my opinion. It performed like a 10 year old PC does running today's software, the only thing the V6 TiVo has in common with the original TiVo is the name.

It's biggest issue may well be that a lot of people's experience of TiVo in the UK is Virginmedias original TiVo. Hence most people seem to think TiVo as a brand or as software is old, slow, clunky. I'm not sure some understand it's was the hardware that was crap!

Last edited by Doctor_YOU; 23-04-2017 at 16:45.
Old 23-04-2017, 17:02   #8
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

I think a much more interesting comparison will come in 2018 when Sky offer their Q service over broadband.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 19:07   #9
Doctor_YOU
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
I think a much more interesting comparison will come in 2018 when Sky offer their Q service over broadband.
Why will it be more interesting?
Old 23-04-2017, 20:57   #10
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_YOU View Post
Why will it be more interesting?
People won't need a dish.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 22:38   #11
Doctor_YOU
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
People won't need a dish.

Oh, ermmmm ok. that will be very interesting...
Old 24-04-2017, 09:03   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

SkyQ has UHD channels (SkyQ wins)

SkyQ has Sky Atlantic (SkyQ wins)

Neither box has scart output - major disappointment!

So it depends on what is most important to you personally as to which suits you best.
Given that your points about UHD and Sky Atlantic are content related issues and nothing to do with the capability of the V6, and given that two V6s together give you 2 TB, then in your assessment, the V6 wins hands down.

---------- Post added at 08:03 ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
Ah, so Sky are running behind Virgin for a change!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 10:21   #13
cje85
cf.member

cje85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_YOU View Post
The SkyQ minis rely 100% on a wifi or Ethernet connect. If your house is not wired in every room for Ethernet then you're relying on wifi to send the picture, sound to your SkyQ mini, and when you have 2 minis running on a Dolby enabled HD channel the things can get pretty choppy.
They also have built in powerline networking. I tried disabling WiFi and Ethernet so they had to fall back to powerline and it continued to work fine, even on HD.
cje85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 11:22   #14
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I honestly have no idea about the V6 as I've never owned or even used one so can't comment , for our house the Sky Q is an excellent set top box and I look forward to its future innovations.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 12:29   #15
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I honestly have no idea about the V6 as I've never owned or even used one so can't comment , for our house the Sky Q is an excellent set top box and I look forward to its future innovations.
Each to their own choices as they say.