Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free calls to Virgin mobile from Landline.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

No phone line available?

Old 23-12-2011, 09:35   #1
Tog
Inactive

Tog is an unknown quantity at this point
No phone line available?

Having moved house and ordered a Virgin TV/Broadband and phone package because they promised they could move my phone number quickly - I now find out they have run out of lines and can't give any indication of how long it will take. This is after nearly two weeks and two missed intstallations - this is ridiculous - the house already had a Virgin cable - it should have been simple...
what is going on and who do I complain to?

Tog
Tog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-12-2011, 15:47   #2
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of
Re: No phone line available?

Blimey, it's been a long time since I heard of a lack of available phone lines. Last time was back in the 70s. The solution I remember is for lines to be rationed and shared between houses. These are called 'party lines'. Contact VM and ask about this, the procedure is usually for you to share a phone line with your neighbour but if they are on the phone you have to wait to make a call. I assume the line rental is split between you, it's a long time ago this was an issue so I can't remember. VM will have to find the old 70s rule book and blow the dust off before they can give you full details of the party line mechanism I expect.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:20   #3
gwilliams51025
Inactive

gwilliams51025 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
Blimey, it's been a long time since I heard of a lack of available phone lines. Last time was back in the 70s. The solution I remember is for lines to be rationed and shared between houses. These are called 'party lines'. Contact VM and ask about this, the procedure is usually for you to share a phone line with your neighbour but if they are on the phone you have to wait to make a call. I assume the line rental is split between you, it's a long time ago this was an issue so I can't remember. VM will have to find the old 70s rule book and blow the dust off before they can give you full details of the party line mechanism I expect.

Or just add in more D-sides in the manhole and then connect to a free D-side in the next manhole. Would take 40mins and the network engineer would do this. Also the 2 customers would have the same number :S if someone phoned and the wrong person answered it would get frustrating
gwilliams51025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:15   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

It will be a lack of e sides in the cabinet, once some one leaves you can get on,ironically there will be some business e sides free but they don't let residential customers use them for whatever reason

---------- Post added at 06:15 ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 ----------

Quote:
The neighbour would never agree to that
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:08   #5
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: No phone line available?

It could be both 1 not enough e sides in the mux cab or 2 not enough d sides going to the cab the first one could be expensive if they had to put new esides in if the shelf was full .Normally they wait foe someone to disconnect then you get that eside .If the cab in the streeet is full then we would normally putt some new pairs/ d sides in if there was space on the cable in the cab .what i do not understand if the previous cust had phone why you cant use that e side unless they have not moved far and kept that eside .Normallyy they would send someone out to check the cab for spares in case the records were wrong
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:12   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Privacy laws will negate that as you could have the neighbour listening to your private calls and when you ring in your account details pop up which could cause DPA issues, that is something that should be left in the past.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote