Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub WiFi performance?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub WiFi performance?

Old 20-02-2011, 13:49   #1
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of
Superhub WiFi performance?

I have received a letter offering me an upgrade to 30MB and a Superhub for £30.

My present set up is a VM Modem and my own Belkin "N" wireless router.

My main concern is the wireless performance of the Superhub as I use multiple wireless connections and Homeplugs. Laptops, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV etc.

My questions are :-

1/ Will the Superhub be compatible with my Belkin wireless dongles and Apple TV.

2/ What are the Superhub wireless experiences of forum members?
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2011, 13:52   #2
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Re: Superhub WiFi performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
I have received a letter offering me an upgrade to 30MB and a Superhub for £30.

My present set up is a VM Modem and my own Belkin "N" wireless router.

My main concern is the wireless performance of the Superhub as I use multiple wireless connections and Homeplugs. Laptops, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV etc.

My questions are :-

1/ Will the Superhub be compatible with my Belkin wireless dongles and Apple TV.

2/ What are the Superhub wireless experiences of forum members?
1 + 2.

Should be fine on both.

Actually, I get a better signal + uptime on my Superhub than I did with my DIR 615 Wireless router, even with special firmware. Odd but True
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 14:11   #3
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I use Belkin and Netgear dongles, and both work fine - also have had no issues on my Apple TV.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 14:17   #4
Marcus125
Permanently Banned

Marcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathers

I have the superhub and its pretty good although mine doesnt like 2 xboxes connected at once.

But at any 1 time our hub can have 3 laptops, 1ipad, 2 android mobile phones an IPOD touch and wireless printer, xbox and or ps3 with no problems.

The online performance with all devices connected is sweet aswell but thats down to our line and not just the hub.

EDIT

Our bluray player is also connected but thats the only wired device.

AND!!!!! Some people say the superhub doesnt like atheros wireless adaptors but if you got the latest firmwear its fine and will hit max speed if your line is ok an not over subscribed or suffering high utlisation.

Ok this is what I get right now but only 2 devices connected both wireless both laptops.

Marcus125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 14:22   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

I have my Edimax router connected as an access point with DHCP disabled, my PC and my Bluray player and all working without any problem.

The router will be able to work correctly later in the year once we have bridge mode.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 15:24   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

As stated before, I have, attached to the Super Hub -

Cat 5 cable to a Buffalo Airstation upstairs, which supports my (wired) main PC, an Apple TV, two PC's on wifi
Cat 5 cable to BluRay player
Wifi to 3/4 (depending if my son/daughter are at home) x laptops downstairs
Wifi to Wii downstairs

and 3 smartphones and an iPod Touch which roam between the Super Hub and the AirStation.

No problems.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 15:37   #7
StevenJohnson
Inactive

StevenJohnson is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having a terrible time with the Superhub. If you want a better idea, just take a look at the official VM forums. Everyday they are flooded with customers and their Wireless issues.

Just based on my experience at the moment, I couldn't recommend this upgrade to anyone...
StevenJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 17:44   #8
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJohnson View Post
I'm having a terrible time with the Superhub. If you want a better idea, just take a look at the official VM forums. Everyday they are flooded with customers and their Wireless issues.

Just based on my experience at the moment, I couldn't recommend this upgrade to anyone...
Four very positive responses and one negative?

The law of averages would suggest I give the Superhub a go!

I'm tempted to go the whole hog and get the 50MB upgrade. Life is short!

Thanks folks for your advice. It's much appreciated!
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 19:47   #9
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

I'd go with the Superhub as its the best on offer from VM at the moment.
Would you see any increase in speed - maybe, but depends on how far you are from the wireless hub. In the same room, I am getting 30+, whilst on another floor, I can pull only 11.
Devolvo HomePlugs slow the connection down. If you are wired directly into the hub, or in the same room, then there's a huge improvement.

There's useful features, liket setting up a guest network easily too.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 23:55   #10
StevenJohnson
Inactive

StevenJohnson is an unknown quantity at this point

I was previously using a DIR-655 which was upstairs, my wireless devices are downstairs and I always had a stable 90%+ signal. I then had to use the Superhub because I upgraded to 30mb which is the same location of my previous router and it's a very unstable 50%+ signal... that's not good if you ask me?!
StevenJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 00:07   #11
tosh mate
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV L 20MB BB
tosh mate has reached the bronze age
tosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze age

I have recently upgraded and have slight problems with my superhub
occassionally i loose connection only for a few seconds ( even when it's wired )
tosh mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 00:45   #12
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

My particular Super Hub plays fast and loose with everything, even when you ignore the cable modem and just use the LAN side. Wireless drops and has poor range overall, wired gigabit to gigabit fast file transfers can cause hangs and overall the thing needs rebooting all the time due to weird problems. I drop it in every week or so to see if the results vary, but they never do.

I would also like to point out that these problems get worse when you connect other routers to it, with the Super Hub being the main one. In my case I run one main router and two (sometimes three) additional ones as I need a bunch of extra ethernet ports and a couple of wireless networks running on different channels (one timed for "guest" access, one all day for my own personal use) and it really makes the problem much worse. Doing multiple LAN transfers and using a P2P client while a couple of other devices stream iPlayer content made it freeze quicker than [rude metaphor deleted].

Just my experience, and bear in mind I'm a heavy user of both the LAN and WAN side. Whereas other people who have several devices connected, perhaps even more than me wirelessly, might only be doing very low bandwidth stuff. Quantity of devices isn't necessarily indicative of overall performance unless those devices are generating notable packet traffic.

Until the firmware update I'm sticking with my NTL blue Ambit 250 modem and trio of DIR-615s (main one with DD-WRT).
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 10:36   #13
Auld Reekie
Inactive

Auld Reekie is an unknown quantity at this point

Being a layman in the computer world I would appreciate any help.
At the moment I have a Netgear router connected to my modem and main computer.
I will shortly be upgraded from 20m to 50m and have the Super hub router installed.
Do I still need my Netgear router in use when I use my laptop in another room?
Thanks in advance.
Auld Reekie is offline   Reply With Quote