Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 04-03-2017, 13:45   #2971
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't know why you say it's mors problematic, but maybe it depends on your set up.

I was worried I might have problems, but they haven't transpired as yet.
I find that multi room streaming is a frequent issue where the connection drops back to the menus screen on the live box. I have tried both Powerline and wifi. I have a strong wifi connection. Powerline is not so good because it seems that the Modem and one V6 is on a circuit in my loft conversion and the other V6 and old Tivo are on the lower level which seems to be on a different electrical circuit.

Its not a deal breaker for me. I am more than happy with the extra tuners and the much improved speed.
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2017, 14:00   #2972
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
I find that multi room streaming is a frequent issue where the connection drops back to the menus screen on the live box. I have tried both Powerline and wifi. I have a strong wifi connection. Powerline is not so good because it seems that the Modem and one V6 is on a circuit in my loft conversion and the other V6 and old Tivo are on the lower level which seems to be on a different electrical circuit.

Its not a deal breaker for me. I am more than happy with the extra tuners and the much improved speed.
Do you think it could be your particular set up, fixerman, or is it definitely the V6s that are causing the problem? I'm not a particularly technical person, but I know that sometimes it can be a very simple issue that can cause a big problem.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 14:56   #2973
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Do you think it could be your particular set up, fixerman, or is it definitely the V6s that are causing the problem? I'm not a particularly technical person, but I know that sometimes it can be a very simple issue that can cause a big problem.
Wifi can be problematic for many people just because yours works without issue doesn't mean it will be the same for everyone.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 15:27   #2974
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Wifi can be problematic for many people just because yours works without issue doesn't mean it will be the same for everyone.
Yes, I appreciate that the standard of service can vary around the country, but I think it's important to distinguish between problems with Virgin's system and the way people wire up their systems. The more complicated these arrangements are, the more prone they will be to small glitches that can interfere with or totally disrupt the signals.

It's easy to blame Virgin for issues that are nothing to do with them, such as the connections and other work individuals have done, or the model of TV used, etc.

I'm sure fixerman knows what he's doing, but it was worth asking the question, I think. Such problems have arisen before which have turned out not to be a fault at Virgin's end, and I wondered if this might be one of them.
Old 04-03-2017, 15:28   #2975
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Quelle surprise we actually agree on something MM.
Old 04-03-2017, 15:30   #2976
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Quelle surprise we actually agree on something MM.
That makes three of us, then.
Old 04-03-2017, 15:45   #2977
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Yes, I appreciate that the standard of service can vary around the country, but I think it's important to distinguish between problems with Virgin's system and the way people wire up their systems. The more complicated these arrangements are, the more prone they will be to small glitches that can interfere with or totally disrupt the signals.

It's easy to blame Virgin for issues that are nothing to do with them, such as the connections and other work individuals have done, or the model of TV used, etc.

I'm sure fixerman knows what he's doing, but it was worth asking the question, I think. Such problems have arisen before which have turned out not to be a fault at Virgin's end, and I wondered if this might be one of them.
I wasn't insinuating it was Virgins problem , Wifi is great however there are so many things that can degrade your signal in the home.
Old 04-03-2017, 21:47   #2978
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

What channels are available on MRS now, I though it was pretty much all of them? Watch and Universal HD (only channels with recordings on the bedroom box) are both showing restricted due to rights. Conversely all programs on the other box are showing as available, but the V6 rebooted as soon as I tried to play one.

Had a few reboots whist trying to play recordings (not MRS) tonight also. Software is clearly a bit flakey at the moment, but the hardware looks up to the job. Pretty much expect a few teething problems as an early adopter, and think after a code update or two this will be an excellent piece of kit.
Old 05-03-2017, 13:49   #2979
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
Had a few reboots whist trying to play recordings
Wasn't Modern Family or Elementary was it.
Old 05-03-2017, 15:58   #2980
kgollop
cf.geek

kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Wasn't Modern Family or Elementary was it.
Modern Family! Take it this is a known issue?
Old 05-03-2017, 16:26   #2981
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
Modern Family! Take it this is a known issue?
According to the official Virgin Community it is.
Old 05-03-2017, 16:36   #2982
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Good grief MM you must be on good terms visiting the enemy's camp.
Old 05-03-2017, 16:56   #2983
kgollop
cf.geek

Quote:
So I see now. Thanks for the reply, hopefully this can be sorted soon. Hopefully the pilot code is working well.
Old 06-03-2017, 00:49   #2984
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

Hi

Hope this is the right thread for this. I have recently switched from Sky and have a few questions about whether certain functionality that was available on Sky+HD box is available on the V6. As of yet, I haven't found this functionality, so I'm guessing maybe not. But perhaps it's just something I'm missing.

i) On Sky+HD you could bring up a mini guide by pressing an arrow button and then cycle up and down channels to see what's on them now and for the rest of the day, without having to use the main TV guide. On V6 I can only get the mini guide for that one channel and cannot scroll forward or bring up any other later shows, or bring up any other channel details. Does the mini guide not work the same as Sky?

ii) Is there any way of changing the length of time that the mini guide stays on screen when changing channel or pressing the info button?

iii) When playing a recording from My Shows, can you start the playback from a 'user-defined' start point? On Sky you could select this and input the number of minutes from which you wanted to start playback.

iv) Another Sky functionality was the ability to bookmark certain point in a recording you are playing by pausing and pressing the red button. Can bookmarking be done on the V6?

Sorry for all the comparisons to Sky. I'm not picking flies with the V6. In fact I love it and really glad I switched. It's just the above functionality were things I found useful on Sky and would be interested to know if they are replicated on the V6 at all.

Thanks.
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:20   #2985
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

i) The mini guide shows three channels, and then works in a similar way. Press 'OK' when on a live channel. Pressing 'Info' brings up details about the show you're watching only.

ii) No

iii) No, but if you stop a show and then go back to it, the playback will normally resume from the point it was stopped. Also you can use the skip marks on the playback controls to quickly get to different points in a show (press ¦<- or ->¦ during FF or REW)

iv) No.