Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Not driving to work could save £1,000

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Not driving to work could save £1,000

Old 05-07-2017, 11:55   #31
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Not driving to work could save £1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
And is that because none of you cycle and therefore see no personal benefit in this for you? Expenditure on cycle lanes won't impact on your usual handouts so there's really no need to fret.

It has nothing to do with motoring in that context either! Car 'tax' is for emissions, bikes don't emit harmful chemicals. Roads are maintained through general taxation and cyclists DO therefore contribute. I know you know this but I've repeated it for thickos who don't.

I think they call that a cycle lane. Thanks for the support!
if your not taxed and insured i can't hear you
Old 05-07-2017, 12:02   #32
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
if your not taxed and insured i can't hear you
I AM insured (by you) and I pay income tax for road maintenance. Sigh.

You can't hear but you can see that you've provided me with the means to explain it to everyone else
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:11   #33
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I AM insured (by you) and I pay income tax for road maintenance. Sigh.

You can't hear but you can see that you've provided me with the means to explain it to everyone else
i've shut my eyes now i'm driving by feel it's ok it's an automatic - income tax for road mtc you can't be paying much the state the roads are in
Old 05-07-2017, 12:16   #34
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
i've shut my eyes now i'm driving by feel it's ok it's an automatic - income tax for road mtc you can't be paying much the state the roads are in
I suggest you stop feeling yourself and grab the wheel.

The lions share of income tax is spent on welfare.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:21   #35
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
I suggest you stop feeling yourself and grab the wheel.

The lions share of income tax is spent on welfare.
it's an automatic i sit in the back

spent on welfare i do enjoy paying for the lifestyle of others 60 inch tvs
beer oclock all day etc etc ohh don't get me started
Old 05-07-2017, 15:04   #36
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
it's an automatic i sit in the back

Don't be so mean; they have to fill their day somehow .

Now, back on topic: I wonder why Taf doesn't complain about bus lanes? Buses are filth emitters and they never stay in those lanes and they pass you on the inside at excessive speed. Allocating that much road space to buses, taxis and motorbikes causes more congestion than the odd 3-metre cycle lane here and there. Ah, but Taf has a bus pass so he wants that inconvenience imposed for his sporadic benefit.
Old 05-07-2017, 15:21   #37
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I wonder why Taf doesn't complain about bus lanes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Around here, whoever designs the layout for buslanes needs shooting:

One buslane stops just before a narrowing of the road.... this is where they decided to put a bus stop!

Another buslane stops 20 yards before a dedicated left turn lane.. again this is where they decided to put a bus stop!

Another buslane starts yards after the brow of a humpback bridge, with both the signage and lane invisible until traffic crest the bridge.

Most of the circluation problems are caused by buses at bus stops or buslanes!!
Quote:
Otherwise straight roads in Cardiff have become chicanes and slaloms around the bus lanes that appear and disappear all over the place. In dark, wet conditions it's almost impossible to spot the road markings at all, especially for visitors.

On the A48, the hard shoulder on one long stretch has been designated a bus lane primarily to and from a Park and Ride location on the outskirts, but also for other buses and taxis on their way in or out of the city. The speed limit was also dropped from 70mph to 50mph along a big chunk too... to allow buses to merge easier!
Quote:
I wish the buses would stay in the bus lanes... as soon as one arrives behind a cyclist toddling along in a bus lane they pull out into the other lane which is already crowded due to one lane being taken away for a bus lane!
Quote:
A local road, on a busy bus route, has just been marked with parking bays AND cycle lanes on both side, leaving only one, single lane down the middle for 2 way traffic! Don't they measure things before sending out the painters?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 15:29   #38
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Ah, I get it now, you moan about 'lanes' every couple of years or so? Wow.

Doesn't the use of public money on anything else bother you?
Old 05-07-2017, 15:40   #39
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

Quote:
Around here, whoever designs the layout for buslanes needs shooting:

One buslane stops just before a narrowing of the road.... this is where they decided to put a bus stop!

Another buslane stops 20 yards before a dedicated left turn lane.. again this is where they decided to put a bus stop!

Another buslane starts yards after the brow of a humpback bridge, with both the signage and lane invisible until traffic crest the bridge.

Most of the circluation problems are caused by buses at bus stops or buslanes!!
Quote:
Otherwise straight roads in Cardiff have become chicanes and slaloms around the bus lanes that appear and disappear all over the place. In dark, wet conditions it's almost impossible to spot the road markings at all, especially for visitors.

On the A48, the hard shoulder on one long stretch has been designated a bus lane primarily to and from a Park and Ride location on the outskirts, but also for other buses and taxis on their way in or out of the city. The speed limit was also dropped from 70mph to 50mph along a big chunk too... to allow buses to merge easier!
Quote:
I wish the buses would stay in the bus lanes... as soon as one arrives behind a cyclist toddling along in a bus lane they pull out into the other lane which is already crowded due to one lane being taken away for a bus lane!
Quote:
A local road, on a busy bus route, has just been marked with parking bays AND cycle lanes on both side, leaving only one, single lane down the middle for 2 way traffic! Don't they measure things before sending out the painters?
Stop complaining about bus lanes FGS!!

This thread is for complaining about bikes and cycle lanes.

Last edited by Osem; 05-07-2017 at 15:44.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 16:41   #40
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Stop complaining about bus lanes FGS!!

This thread is for complaining about bikes and cycle lanes.
And for complaints about welfare FGS!!

Quote:
Just the other day, I noticed someone jumping the welfare queue. It happens all the time. Stop me if you've heard the anecdote before...
Old 05-07-2017, 20:50   #41
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

**** country if you are a native English-Welsh-Scottish-British, I wonder if the person who jumped the welfare Q was a native British in desperate need.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 14:07   #42
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
**** country if you are a native English-Welsh-Scottish-British, I wonder if the person who jumped the welfare Q was a native British in desperate need.
Once the handouts are under proper control, the funding for a more efficient road network will be available. The Government is on the job .
Old 06-07-2017, 14:24   #43
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Once the handouts are under proper control, the funding for a more efficient road network will be available. The Government is on the job .
sounds like hard times ahead for some , good news about the roads though
Old 06-07-2017, 14:27   #44
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
sounds like hard times ahead for some , good news about the roads though
People will be finding out that you can't have the penny and the bun. I think that's likely to focus and change attitudes quite quickly.
Old 06-07-2017, 15:16   #45
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
And is that because none of you cycle and therefore see no personal benefit in this for you? Expenditure on cycle lanes won't impact on your usual handouts so there's really no need to fret.

It has nothing to do with motoring in that context either! Car 'tax' is for emissions, bikes don't emit harmful chemicals. Roads are maintained through general taxation and cyclists DO therefore contribute. I know you know this but I've repeated it for thickos who don't.

I think they call that a cycle lane. Thanks for the support!
Cycle lanes on normal roads are still hazards for the motorists. I meant complete physical separation, not a painted lane in a road.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote