Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Nintendo Switch(NX) - release date 3rd March 2017

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Nintendo Games Systems

The Nintendo Switch(NX) - release date 3rd March 2017

Old 04-03-2017, 20:13   #31
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: The Nintendo Switch(NX) - release date 3rd March 2017

Well we shall see adzii.
Old 04-03-2017, 20:17   #32
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

The only questionable thing is the launch date, it makes no sense. If they'd waited to perfect more launch titles and riled people up, generating hype, it'd launch even better. They've got to tap into what they potentially have too. Offer downloadable DS games at reduced prices and you'll lap up sales. So much opportunity here to take.
Old 05-03-2017, 15:17   #33
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I think it launched when it did due to the coming end of the financial year.

Personally don't have one yet as a trip to NYC in less than 10 days, but will be picking one up in April.

a friend has one and its a really smart bit of kit, very solid and well built. Quality is really spot on. yes there is a lack of launch titles but there are over 80 due by the end of the year I am sure.

As well as the retail titles there are a few more digital only games on the store just now. sadly the virtual console wasn't ready for launch either but after that launches it will be fantastic being able to take a fully fledged home console on the move and play games like zelda and Skyrim on the go not to mention all the classic NES/SNES/N64/Gamecube and Wii games on the go.

I think the console will sell by the bucket load, its already sold a lot this weekend. Price wise its a great price for what it is and of course all tech and games consoles are expensive to start with. Look at the 3DS XL it still costs about £200
Old 05-03-2017, 16:41   #34
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Don't stick any decals on the Switch as it does something nasty to the plastic.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/3/1480...ins-maybe-dont
Old 12-03-2017, 15:30   #35
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

I got a switch last weekend and have been completely immersed in Zelda since getting it.
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 21:33   #36
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I can't decide if I should get a Switch now and play Zelda or get Zelda for the Wii U and wait for more games on the Switch. HELP!
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 21:38   #37
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is out April 28th.

Also Fast RMX is great if you enjoy racing games. There are actually quite a few games in the estore.
Old 15-03-2017, 21:39   #38
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Isn't Mario Kart 8 deluxe the same as the Wii U version? Only tempting thing is the portability I think...
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 22:59   #39
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Anyone got one?

Still just waiting till more games appear, but it's still on my list as a buy. I don't like Zelda for those wondering why I haven't just upped and got one already. Never have. Love anything Mario though.

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

By the end of it's lifespan it'll have outsold the PS4 and Xbox One, the price will continue to drop significantly and with both Microsoft and Sony pushing 'Elite' consoles or upgrades as they're calling them for ridiculous prices, Nintendo will actually be undercutting both. As said earlier, this will just continue to drop in price. There will be a massive drop off when both the PS4 pro and Xbox Scorpio go head to head at which point the cheaper Nintendo Switch will gain massive figures over the other two.

Right now, it's PS4/Xbox One/Wii U, in which the PS4 leads significantly. Both will see a drop off when the upgraded versions start competing and become the premium consoles.

It'll be Nintendo Switch/PS4pro/Scorpio from December onwards. That's where the switch will start outselling the other two significantly.

It was expected to ship 5 million by December, it's currently averaging close to double that amid massive sell outs world wide, not to say it'd still sell more than the expected amount though. That's with it's very limited titles, expect that to spike again when Mario Kart bundles drop.

I don't disagree about the price, I just think this will drop like the Wii did and constantly undercut the other two on it's way to being the underdog winner.
The Wii sold well because of three things. It was cheaper than the Xbox 360 and PS3. It had the Nintendo IPs (Mario, Zelda etc) and it had a novel controller. This attracted a lot of buyers who previously wouldn't have gone near a console. Remember all the hype about the Wiimote? Stories like hospitals using it as part of Physiotherapy? All of a sudden, people could justify a couple of hundred quid on a console because it would help them get fit.

The problem with going for that market is that for future generations of the console, you have to persuade them to upgrade. They aren't gamers. They aren't interested in having the most powerful console or the best graphics. As long as they can play their games, they are happy.

Nintendo made the mistake of assuming that the Wii sold well purely because it's unique controller and games, so they tried to build on that controller. The DS was successful so they thought the Dual Screen thing was working. So, they thought "Why not give the Wii Mote a screen?".

The problem is the Wii U controller added a massive cost to the console, when Sony and Microsoft could include most of it's functionality in a Tablet or Phone app for a fraction of the cost. This has severely hampered Nintendo's ability to lower the price of the Wii U (which, frankly, they needed to).

Nintendo actually don't have a great record when it comes to selling home (ie non portable) consoles. They've released a lot, but the only ones that really did well are the NES, the SNES and Wii. I think financially, they've been using their pocket console sales to subsidise the rest of the company.

I actually think the Switch can succeed. It seems a good console, but I think they need to drop the prices now. It's more expensive than either the PS4 or XBox one, but does not have anywhere near the number of titles either had at launch, and the mobile gaming market is nowhere near as big as it was.

What makes me sad about this is I think Nintendo need it to succeed (why else would they have rushed out the Mini NES and Mini Famicom just before Christmas if not to give themselves a quick boost of cash), and I am not sure it will.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 01:53   #40
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Isn't Mario Kart 8 deluxe the same as the Wii U version? Only tempting thing is the portability I think...
It is technically the same but it includes all the DLC plus a whole load of new multiplayer modes and also runs 1080p at 60fps and it really looks amazing.

---------- Post added 16-03-2017 at 00:53 ---------- Previous post was 15-03-2017 at 23:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
snip.......

Nintendo actually don't have a great record when it comes to selling home (ie non portable) consoles. They've released a lot, but the only ones that really did well are the NES, the SNES and Wii. I think financially, they've been using their pocket console sales to subsidise the rest of the company.

I actually think the Switch can succeed. It seems a good console, but I think they need to drop the prices now. It's more expensive than either the PS4 or XBox one, but does not have anywhere near the number of titles either had at launch, and the mobile gaming market is nowhere near as big as it was.

What makes me sad about this is I think Nintendo need it to succeed (why else would they have rushed out the Mini NES and Mini Famicom just before Christmas if not to give themselves a quick boost of cash), and I am not sure it will.
I am sure the N64 and Gamecube also we relatively successful. I think the Wii U and the Virtuaboy were the really bad home consoles.
Old 16-03-2017, 13:28   #41
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

They did relatively well in their own way but overall were destroyed by both the PS1 and PS2 over those two generations, don't think there's an argument to be had there, we all surely owned both and we'll likely all conclude they were two of the best if not the best consoles ever made.

I'd put the game cube down in the Xbox category for that era, the xbox was massively impressive but came too late to dent anyone significant and both released after the PS2 was heavily established by it's first year of sales (The Xbox came even later). The N64 is a cult console for me bundled with classic games that are unforgettable.

At the end of it though, I owned all five of these consoles and I'd love to be back in that era of gaming. The hours spent playing GoldenEye split screen with that Golden gun, the release of San Andreas on the PS2 was monumental.

The Switch will gain that same effect as the Wii come the holiday season, the vastly more expensive upgrades of the PS4 and Xbox One will boost the Switch and as before, this is essentially that new DS too so they're playing two markets here. I don't own a Wii U either so getting a Mario Kart port is a non issue for me.

As above though, the amount sold doesn't always mean a better all round system. Frankly there's been plenty of truly awesome gaming systems. The Genesis/Megadrive (II), NES, SNES, Xbox, PS1/2, Xbox 360, N64, Gamecube. They all had different reasons for being great systems too, although exclusives were a telling factor in all of those it becomes heavily exclusive based as we move into the 360/PS3 and upwards.

Why did the PS1/2 easily smash 100+ million? Gotta take everything into consideration here and just say it, Game piracy boosted the sales of both Sony consoles. It's still a factor today, it isn't as big but it's a part of decision making when it comes to consoles. The DS didn't just sell well because it was handheld, it also sold because R4 cards exist for the device. Especially parents buying said devices for the younger generation that lack the interest of online play. (Self DRM came with Xbox live essentially) If you wanted to play online you had little other choice than to legitimately purchase the game.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 16-03-2017 at 13:41.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 19:34   #42
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Nintendo Switch is outselling what the Wii sold and there's waiting lists in places. Nintendo are still struggling to keep up with demand despite doubling output.

Metroid Prime 4 announced, Rocket league to be ported over too.

Rocket League is a global phenomenon right now so that made sense.
Old 14-06-2017, 01:40   #43
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Also a Pokemon rpg is in development but about 12+ months away.

Mario Odessey, which looks awesome will be out in October this year.

A new Kirby and a new Yoshi game also coming.
Old 27-06-2017, 11:02   #44
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Nintendo announces the Mini SNES.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...snes?CMP=fb_gu
Old 29-06-2017, 15:05   #45
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I liked the amiga A500+ and the Amiga cd32. classics of their day even the 3D0
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote