Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 17-12-2016, 23:28   #2431
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtolemyIV View Post
Re. SSD or SATA, I totally agree with you and £25 a drive does seem impossible whoever you are... so you are most likely right but the guy was oddly adamant despite my repeated probing whilst I waited for the box to reboot! To the extent I was asking how to safely turn off the box and he was like 'oh, just pull the switch - its ssd so doesnt matter'
It doesn't have an SSD, but he was right that you can just power it off. The heads will park themselves, and any database inconsistencies will get sorted out next time it boots up. Just don't move the box until the disc has stopped - 10 seconds after powering off should be enough.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-12-2016, 01:35   #2432
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Well I have been using it for 4 days and I find good and bad points about v6

Good:

Ethernet and wireless connection work great for on demand and 4k
Streaming content to other v6 seamless
Apps load instantly apart from lifetime which crash your box
4k on the box looks amazing no question.
Navigation is as fast as promised.

Bad

Restrictions on downloads are crazy and some don't make any sense and there is no sky exclusives stopping virgin like channel 4 or sooty for my sister, also very very slow downloads.
Limited 4k
Why not have itv hub, all 4 and My5 apps

Box is still with it but they need to up theee game
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 11:37   #2433
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
Well I have been using it for 4 days and I find good and bad points about v6

Good:

Ethernet and wireless connection work great for on demand and 4k
Streaming content to other v6 seamless
Apps load instantly apart from lifetime which crash your box
4k on the box looks amazing no question.
Navigation is as fast as promised.

Bad

Restrictions on downloads are crazy and some don't make any sense and there is no sky exclusives stopping virgin like channel 4 or sooty for my sister, also very very slow downloads.
Limited 4k

Box is still with it but they need to up theee game
None of your bad points are about the V6??
Old 18-12-2016, 12:14   #2434
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
We have these players on demand, which provide catch up TV for the past week without advertisements interrupting programmes.

However, I agree with you that we should have the apps as well, as they provide catch up over a longer period of a month as well as additional programmes (for example, All 4 gives you a full series of Indian Summers which is not going to be broadcast until next year).

The annoying thing about the apps, however, is that programmes on there are interrupted by unskippable advertisements. For me, that is a no-no but others will tolerate this. Personally, I wish there was also a subscription option with a bigger programme library and no adverts (apart from a programme sponsorship commercial perhaps just before the commencement of a video).
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 15:23   #2435
barbelboy
Inactive

barbelboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Read somewhere that new 4k hlg planet earth 2 clip ( 4 mins ) can be accessed via v6. Can anyone confirm this.
barbelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 15:27   #2436
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbelboy View Post
Read somewhere that new 4k hlg planet earth 2 clip ( 4 mins ) can be accessed via v6. Can anyone confirm this.
Yes via V6 certain Panasonic UHD TV's and Sky Q.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 15:45   #2437
barbelboy
Inactive

The article was indicating tvs otherthan Panasonic, namely hdr tvs.
Old 18-12-2016, 15:55   #2438
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The article was indicating tvs otherthan Panasonic, namely hdr tvs.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/planet_earth_4k
Old 18-12-2016, 16:15   #2439
barbelboy
Inactive

The report im talking about refers to clip being played on Samsung hdr tv via v6 box. Neither v6 box or samsung tvs are listed on bbc listing posted above.
Old 18-12-2016, 16:39   #2440
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The report im talking about refers to clip being played on Samsung hdr tv via v6 box. Neither v6 box or samsung tvs are listed on bbc listing posted above.
The V6 needs an update for HDR to work doesn't it so yes you'll be able to get it to display on your Samsung TV just not with HDR included. Sky Q also doesn't currently include HDR so no matter what tv you have connected to it you'll only be able to watch the standard UHD picture.
Old 18-12-2016, 18:58   #2441
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
ok, called the number in my screenshot and got through to the typical 150 menus (where amusingly there's no menu option to ask about upgrading your package!! Just are you moving house or thinking of leaving us! LOL) and ended up in customer relations (retention).

I was offered just under £100 as a one off fee for the new box, where it is delivered to me and I swap it over myself (needs to be close to superhub).

There's no way to copy over recordings which means I need to delay upgrade until after new year anyway, so I asked about availability if I were to ask for one now and while looking he said "we've barely booked any V6 yet as it's only been out a few weeks" and "the box codes have not loaded onto the system correctly yet". After much button tapping and some tutting the earliest date I could get one was mid February.

Sounds good to me, coincides with my annual contract bartering. Although this time I might just take their excellent internet and use the numerous IP TV services I already subscribe to instead.
Does this mean that Quickstart has now started for the V6?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 20:52   #2442
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtolemyIV View Post

In case of interest I also got told what the tech specs of the boxes are (am sure this is public) but in case not - 1.6ghz dual core processor, 1gb SSD (i was surprised too but apparently only £25 wholesale in their volumes), 3gb ddr ram, gigabit ethernet and AC/B/G/N. The previous tivo was 800mhz single core, sata drives, 1gb ram and 10mb cable modem.
The specs you were given for the current box are a bit wide of the mark. It has a dual core processor and a 20Mb modem.

Disappointing if your information about a VM broadband connection being a prerequisite is correct. A bit hit to net neutrality.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 21:54   #2443
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Net neutrality is about what happens to data over a connection.

It's not about whether a particular service from a provider is tied to another of their services.
Old 18-12-2016, 22:15   #2444
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Net neutrality is about what happens to data over a connection.

It's not about whether a particular service from a provider is tied to another of their services.
Sorry Ben you couldn't be more wrong. If the rumours are true VM are in effect making their Internet connection distinct from every other connection. How someone connects to the Internet should have no bearing on how any device wishing to use the Internet operates.

The idea of tiered data plans, which i assume you were referring to, are only a small part of the potential problem.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 22:43   #2445
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Again eh?

V6 only being available to Virgin TV customers with Virgin broadband is a commercial decision.

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

If Netflix on the V6 was prioritised over iPlayer on V6, you might have a point about Net Neutrality.

But all data from and to the V6 is treated the same.

Last edited by BenMcr; 18-12-2016 at 22:39.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote