Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century
Closed Thread

Old 28-03-2012, 13:42   #61
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

Aye theoretically around 35-36 ohms over a perfect groundplane which would present an swr of around 2:1 in an unbalanced 50 ohm system. Bringing that down to a more acceptable level of swr using the radiator cutting method would indeed throw you off resonance.

The LA8OKA corner-fed delta loop is an interesting antenna. Using a specific ratio of side dimensions you can bring the feed-point impedance down to the 50 ohm mark which effectively gives you the best of both worlds in terms of cutting out matching system losses (by not having to use one) while retaining resonance. I have one up for 20m suspended between two fishing poles using aluminium welding wire for the radiator itself - it's an excellent DX antenna for it's profile.

http://www.arcticpeak.com/antennapag...delta_loop.htm
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2012, 14:57   #62
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I never was into CB or Ham but had a scanner for years, took the aerial down this weekend as when the Emergency Services went over to Tetra it all got boring!
Old 28-03-2012, 15:26   #63
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

Kymmy/Peter - thanks for the very detailed info.
I'll look more closely into this and see if I can't get away with a pole on the back wall. Should make things less complicated.
Having fun at the mo choosing a new rig
Old 28-03-2012, 16:13   #64
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
Having fun at the mo choosing a new rig
Was in Rocket Radio in Letchworth today (great little shop with some good stuff in..grabbing a few PL259's and some 2" mast clamps to put up the new antenna) I did like the look of the Lafeyette Venus which has all the controls on the microphone..

As for an antenna if you can get an outside one then if they're still made an antron 99 or similar and you can't go wrong..
Old 28-03-2012, 16:18   #65
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Pop a flag on top, nobody will say owt

That's a canny trick for your fishing-pole verticals.
Old 28-03-2012, 17:09   #66
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

Nice that Kymmy.
I reckon I'll go retro at this stage though. Can't help myself. I love those old rigs.
On the hunt for a Superstar 2000 with the 5 banks of 40 or a 148GTLDX with some extra freqs. Money's a bit tight at the mo though so could go with something lower end for the time being.
Old 28-03-2012, 17:48   #67
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

lol i remember my cb days..i had a cobra 148 and a superstar 360 plus a sigma 4 on the roof on top of a very large scaffolding pole and a nice meaty 500w solid state burner

used to be fun and games
Old 28-03-2012, 18:33   #68
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

heh if it was a Zetagi B550 then I bet it wasn't very linear either
Old 28-03-2012, 18:54   #69
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Bet your neighbours liked you.
yea them and the dti lol .....
Old 28-03-2012, 19:01   #70
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Check this out for a twig

http://www.radioarcala.com/nbspStati...8/Default.aspx
Old 28-03-2012, 19:24   #71
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfunkdup View Post
yea them and the dti lol .....

You're safe now, DTI don;t exist any more... instead you'll get Ofcom chasing you
Old 29-03-2012, 12:18   #72
Blackened
Inactive

So much for old skool (and tight budget though £150 ain't too bad for a rig like this)
Just got one of these

6 banks of 60 covering 25.615 to 30.105Mhz & multi-programmable from the PC
(so you can make it go from 1-40 CEPT on one bank for example).
Interesting foray back into radio and probably a bit of a whim, but hey.
The YouTube vids suckered me in.
Old 29-03-2012, 19:51   #73
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
So much for old skool (and tight budget though £150 ain't too bad for a rig like this)
Just got one of these
Interesting bit of kit that and also to see that the market for those export type radios is still very much alive and kicking. A lot of the old names like President, Superstar and Cobra are still kicking about it seems.

Just in time for sporadic E season eh, hours of fun to be had with the Russian taxi drivers
Old 29-03-2012, 21:15   #74
Blackened
Inactive

Heh.

Superstar not always to be associated with the old now, Peter. Or at least not old rigs. Chinese built models are all over the place now, with freq counters and blue displays. Whilst hunting I was offered a Superstar 3900 and a Superstar Ranger both pretty much new boxed models. Word is, they lack the integrity and stability of their counterparts, and new surface mounted components make them difficult to repair - but they have the look mate. I was seriously tempted. The Ranger with the freq counter is a lovely thing.

http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.co...idproduct=1152

Old 29-03-2012, 22:12   #75
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

I guess they're all based on a limited subset of chassis like back in the day. I had one of the first generation of Superstar 3900s - must have been around 89-90. Basically a cheapo copy of the PB010 which reflected on the performance of the radio which was not aligned properly in the factory: carrier leakthrough and all kinds of grounding issues due to poor soldering and general design problems. IIRC I swapped that for a President Lincoln which had shocking selectivity but after installing the uprated 1st and 2nd IF filters (crystal and active) it was a pretty solid radio.
Closed Thread