Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 26-10-2017, 14:51   #91
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The voice of doom speaks again.
So if someone does not agree with you there must be quite a few doom merchants on here then.
Old 26-10-2017, 14:51   #92
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point

I am about to purchase a new telly and will buy a 4K HDR one (still debating which model but that's another discussion).

I know there's no 4K broadcast on Virgin yet BUT does Netflix 4K work through the V6 Netflix app?

I suspect it won't work for me anyway as the amp that I route my V6 through isn't 4K capable (something else to upgrade) and I suspect I can use the Netflix app on the telly itself. But just curious if the V6 has enabled 4K through Netflix.

Apologies if answered elsewhere on the thread...
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 14:56   #93
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
This casts a little extra light on whether the UK will benefit from seeing the World Cup in UHD.

The article lends support to the likelihood of the BBC taking advantage of this opportunity, and the probability that ITV will pass on this one.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1282...shot-in-4k-hdr[COLOR="Silver"]
More links so it must happen then?.

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

Quote:
How can it be a fact when I have already reminded you that the BBC can stream the World Cup on the i-Player? They have already tested UHD by this method.

I accept that you may not think it will happen, but that doesn't make it a fact.

Well most of your facts does not make it a true fact either as l still waiting for 99% of it to happen OB.
Old 26-10-2017, 15:48   #94
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
So if someone does not agree with you there must be quite a few doom merchants on here then.

I'm sure he doesn't mean it that way, Den, and as you know Dave is the ultimate doom merchant on here..........
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 15:55   #95
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I'm sure he doesn't mean it that way, Den, and as you know Dave is the ultimate doom merchant on here..........
I ask again how is stating a fact being a doom merchant
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 16:40   #96
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
l know that MM as one has to have light-hearted moments but of course staying within the boundaries of good taste.

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
There are a lot worse things one can be called in life.
Old 26-10-2017, 16:49   #97
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgerp View Post
I am about to purchase a new telly and will buy a 4K HDR one (still debating which model but that's another discussion).

I know there's no 4K broadcast on Virgin yet BUT does Netflix 4K work through the V6 Netflix app?

I suspect it won't work for me anyway as the amp that I route my V6 through isn't 4K capable (something else to upgrade) and I suspect I can use the Netflix app on the telly itself. But just curious if the V6 has enabled 4K through Netflix.

Apologies if answered elsewhere on the thread...
Yes V6 supports 4K, delivered by Netflix and YouTube.
Remember you need a Netflix 4K subscription.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 16:50   #98
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
It isn't, Dave. The problem is, it's not a fact. It's your view, that is all.

It is a fact, however, that the BBC have been trialling UHD broadcasting through the i-Player. Given that, I am saying that if there is going to be a World Cup feed, the Beeb are equipped to bring this to the UK audience.

I don't really understand why you are having doubts about this. Please explain.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 16:53   #99
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
No extra multiplexes are required. The existing ones have sufficient capacity.
Okay - I wasn't sure how far the business was along with the MP2 -> MP4 migration.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 16:54   #100
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
To my mind, constant negative comments about anything that could happen in the future do sound a bit doom laden!

I dare say when Dave's wife tells him that she'll bring a nice treat home with her in the groceries, he swears it will never happen any time soon!
Old 26-10-2017, 16:56   #101
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
But would that problem impact on the ability of VM to allow UHD on apps like the BBC i-Player? It doesn't appear to be a problem on Netflix or You Tube.
Outside of any iPlayer app on a set top box that wouldn't really be up to VM?
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 17:01   #102
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
To my mind, constant negative comments about anything that could happen in the future do sound a bit doom laden!

I dare say when Dave's wife tells him that she'll bring a nice treat home with her in the groceries, he swears it will never happen any time soon!
Only in your mind OB as l like to deal with reality and not big if's , but's and maybe's.

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

Quote:

l cannot really answer that OB.
Old 26-10-2017, 17:57   #103
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Only in your mind OB as l like to deal with reality and not big if's , but's and maybes.

If you like to deal with reality, you might be able to convince me if you gave reasons why you are so dismissive of many of my posts on what may come.

At least I do provide links to back up what I say. You tend to tell me it will never happen, without any supporting argument.

Why exactly do you think the 2018 World Cup will not be shown in 4k in the UK, given the information I have provided? I agree it's not certain that we will get it, but saying there's no prospect of it happening ignores the fact that the beeb have already completed trials on their player.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 26-10-2017 at 18:00.
Old 26-10-2017, 18:11   #104
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
If you like to deal with reality, you might be able to convince me if you gave reasons why you are so dismissive of many of my posts on what may come.
Dismissive is that what you call it OB as l would call it a opinion from another member who thinks differently from you on a variety of threads and discussions as l thought that is what one did when one is allowed to have a view and a opinion.

---------- Post added at 17:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

Quote:
At least I do provide links to back up what I say. You tend to tell me it will never happen, without any supporting argument.
Posting links does not make something happen OB as like you , l and others its just another subjective opinion by someone else at the end of the day
Old 26-10-2017, 18:12   #105
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Dismissive is that what you call it OB as l would call it a opinion from another member who thinks differently from you on a variety of threads and discussions as l thought that is what one did when one is allowed to have a view and a opinion.
But if an opinion is to be taken seriously, should not a reason for the opinion be given?