Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 20:26   #3616
jj20x

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
There's still an EPG entry for the now closed Playboy on channel 979. I don't subscribe so can't access it, perhaps "Playboy" is a closedown slate that's on there??
There were changes at the end of November that should have dealt with that. Basically all that happened was that the substitute channel off-air slate, normally shown when a channel is off-air, was activate 24/7.

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Channel 5 rebrand that channel almost as much as Sky rebrands the Sky Cinema channels.

---------- Post added at 20:26 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Whoops, there goes ITV Encore....!
That's a really bad example. The purpose of ITV Encore was to attempt to create a new market for ITV drama and a new source of income. The experiment failed but it was flawed from the start. ITV have now moved on to an area where they already know a market exists. They have sold HD linear content at a premium for years, now they are trying to repeat this success with ITV Hub+.

Advertisement
Old 12-12-2017, 21:10   #3617
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Sky sources has given us an new DNP order until Tuesday.

We know what is set to happen but we have been ban from reveal it.
I'm taking it you mean package changes
https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/ne...s_tv_packages/
Old 12-12-2017, 21:12   #3618
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

hopefully new year will be better for VM very quiet year this year
Old 12-12-2017, 21:18   #3619
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
We have had information that Disney are looking to launch a VR and UHD service next year, right now we're taking it with a pinch of salt.
No platform was mentioned so it may be on all or may be part of Disneys own service, when i find out more i'll let you guys know.
Yeah. As a result, Disney are pulling all their content from Netflix in order to launch the service. May be a relaunch of Disney Life.
Old 12-12-2017, 21:43   #3620
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
Yeah. As a result, Disney are pulling all their content from Netflix in order to launch the service. May be a relaunch of Disney Life.
Could be yes.

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
hopefully new year will be better for VM very quiet year this year
But still no Sky Atlantic
Old 12-12-2017, 22:25   #3621
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsegirlbusmad View Post
Are any of the following channels coming to virgin media soon?

Disney channel HD
Disney junior HD
Disney junior +1
Disney Xd HD
Nick Jr HD
Nick Jr +1
Pop max
Pop max+1
Tiny pop + 1
E! HD
E!+1
History Hd
AMC
Amc Hd
Horse and country
Free sports
Sony movies +1
True movies + 1
C.I. Hd
C.I. + 1
Sky Atlantic
Sky Atlantic + 1
Sky Atlantic Hd
Sky one + 1
Pick + 1
5Spike + 1
MTV classic
Comedy central extra + 1
Apparently, Horse & Country have been looking into Freeview carriage. If they're looking into increasing their reach, let's hope that they consider VM too.

They were on Freesat, but couldn't make it pay, but, whilst Freeview costs a lot more, there is potential to pick up far more viewers.

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
There were changes at the end of November that should have dealt with that. Basically all that happened was that the substitute channel off-air slate, normally shown when a channel is off-air, was activate 24/7.

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

Channel 5 rebrand that channel almost as much as Sky rebrands the Sky Cinema channels.

---------- Post added at 20:26 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

That's a really bad example. The purpose of ITV Encore was to attempt to create a new market for ITV drama and a new source of income. The experiment failed but it was flawed from the start. ITV have now moved on to an area where they already know a market exists. They have sold HD linear content at a premium for years, now they are trying to repeat this success with ITV Hub+.
I always thought that it was a daft idea to rename 5+24 the same as their VOD service.

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

LFC currently being broadcast free on VM.
Old 12-12-2017, 22:53   #3622
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
LFC currently being broadcast free on VM.
The pack override flag was added somewhere around 4th / 5th December.

Old 12-12-2017, 23:03   #3623
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Thanks, only just noticed that it was available for free.

Re: My post about Horse & Country, this shows that Freeview is by far the most watched platform in the UK.

http://www.barb.co.uk/tv-landscape-r...m-interactive/

Cable, YouView, TalkTalk etc really are the poor relations!
Old 12-12-2017, 23:04   #3624
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Horse & Country has never been on Freesat, though a predecessor was. A licence has been issued for american owned Ride TV, so perhaps there is a joint venture with H & C in the offing
Old 12-12-2017, 23:09   #3625
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:

Any chance of that in non tech speak please?
Old 12-12-2017, 23:23   #3626
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Could be yes.

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

But still no Sky Atlantic
you know that will never ever happen
Old 13-12-2017, 00:33   #3627
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Horse & Country has never been on Freesat, though a predecessor was. A licence has been issued for american owned Ride TV, so perhaps there is a joint venture with H & C in the offing
Yes, maybe that's what it is. I remember someone posting about Ride TV.

Just asked the person who gave me this info and he said that from what he remembers (it was years ago) a channel called Rural TV was on Freesat and got into financial difficulties.

In the end they teamed up with Horse & Country and put some of their programmes onto their Sky channel, in return Rural TV put some blocks of Horse & Country programming onto the Rural TV Freesat channel.

Does this tally with what you remember?

I can think of worse channels to put onto VM and I think that they show reruns of Black Beauty

---------- Post added 13-12-2017 at 00:33 ---------- Previous post was 12-12-2017 at 23:46 ----------

Quote:
If VM mirror Sky, this will end on 14/12/17.
Old 13-12-2017, 00:36   #3628
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Any chance of that in non tech speak please?
A flag was added to the EPG area of the Service Description Table to over-ride the pack codes. Normally, Liverpool FC TV is a premium channel, only available to customers who subscribe to that channel. There are pack codes in place to limit the channel to those subscribers. The over-ride flag makes the channel available to all VM TV customers.

Believe it or not, what I said originally was a simplification. The flags and codes can't just be read, they are extracted from binary data.

Old 13-12-2017, 08:20   #3629
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'm taking it you mean package changes
https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/ne...s_tv_packages/
I was reading more about the new packages on Sky's website. Those who are used to getting retention deals are in for a shock. The FAQ section suggests existing discounts on TV packages, outwith deals for Sky Sports and Sky Movies, will not be carried forward when you get moved over to the same equivalent package in 2018. They days of 50% off and 75% off retention deals appear to be over.

If that's the case my package, once I've tinkered a little, will cost me £10.00 more. Not the end of the world. It's not worth me cancelling. They have played a shrewd game. My wife and I have our mobiles with Sky. Calls and text are "free" as long as you are a TV subscriber. Cancel your TV and your mobile bill goes up by £10 to cover the cost of the calls and texts. I'm £10 worse off if I stay, £20 worse off if I leave.

It was good while it lasted.
Old 13-12-2017, 11:47   #3630
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I was reading more about the new packages on Sky's website. Those who are used to getting retention deals are in for a shock. The FAQ section suggests existing discounts on TV packages, outwith deals for Sky Sports and Sky Movies, will not be carried forward when you get moved over to the same equivalent package in 2018. They days of 50% off and 75% off retention deals appear to be over.

If that's the case my package, once I've tinkered a little, will cost me £10.00 more. Not the end of the world. It's not worth me cancelling. They have played a shrewd game. My wife and I have our mobiles with Sky. Calls and text are "free" as long as you are a TV subscriber. Cancel your TV and your mobile bill goes up by £10 to cover the cost of the calls and texts. I'm £10 worse off if I stay, £20 worse off if I leave.

It was good while it lasted.
Got you by the short and curlies then.

This is the problem with putting all your eggs in one basket as I see it.
Closed Thread