Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Project Lightning Silence...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Project Lightning Silence...

Old 11-10-2016, 12:01   #16
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold
Re: Project Lightning Silence...

Lightning strikes Scotland

http://www.virginmedia.com/corporate...-scotland.html
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2016, 13:02   #17
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Yes planning, know a lot about planning Networks do you?
Yes been on the sharp end of it for years hence my LOL
Old 14-10-2016, 20:14   #18
Smitherz87
Inactive

Services: TiVo 1TB, 300Mbps Shub3, V+, Telco.
Smitherz87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Or they don't want there competitors to know in advance when a area is going live
Exactly right.
Smitherz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 20:45   #19
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Yes planning, know a lot about planning Networks do you?
Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
Yes been on the sharp end of it for years hence my LOL
So have i 20 years in cable to be exact

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 14:12   #20
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitherz87 View Post
Exactly right.
BT publish their plans months or even years in advance.

Pointless being worried about what competitors may do. If the product's not going to sell well with competition it ends up more expensive for VM as they give the introductory discounts and pay for the installs then watch customers churn as the competition take measures to reclaim their punters.

If there's a fear the product can't stand up to competition the product needs some serious work.

I find it far more likely given my experience that until the street works go in and are approved there's no way VM can give any specific timescales so they avoid doing so. The work is considerably more complex than BT delivering FTTC.

There are streets here that have had tracks since February and are still not live. There are streets on the neighbouring estate that have had tracks since last year and are still not live. The MSAN and power distribution cabinets covering over 1,000 premises have been sitting there since March in one case and even earlier in the other doing nothing, one of them still has no power.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 17:36   #21
sollp
cf.mega poster

sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
BT publish their plans months or even years in advance.

Pointless being worried about what competitors may do. If the product's not going to sell well with competition it ends up more expensive for VM as they give the introductory discounts and pay for the installs then watch customers churn as the competition take measures to reclaim their punters.

If there's a fear the product can't stand up to competition the product needs some serious work.

I find it far more likely given my experience that until the street works go in and are approved there's no way VM can give any specific timescales so they avoid doing so. The work is considerably more complex than BT delivering FTTC.

There are streets here that have had tracks since February and are still not live. There are streets on the neighbouring estate that have had tracks since last year and are still not live. The MSAN and power distribution cabinets covering over 1,000 premises have been sitting there since March in one case and even earlier in the other doing nothing, one of them still has no power.
They will dig the streets and put the network in at a later date, this might be due to delays elsewhere but at least the construction is done, better it done than having contractors waiting around

The problem occurs when your competitors know your intentions and then blanket the area with discount tying customers in for 1-5yrs so your brand new network will sit there with little income due to the potential customers being tied into long contracts. So your network will not make money, seems sensible to me regardless of how good the product is.

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Indeed

So have i 20 years in cable to be exact

20yrs myself.
Old 15-10-2016, 18:06   #22
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
They will dig the streets and put the network in at a later date, this might be due to delays elsewhere but at least the construction is done, better it done than having contractors waiting around

The problem occurs when your competitors know your intentions and then blanket the area with discount tying customers in for 1-5yrs so your brand new network will sit there with little income due to the potential customers being tied into long contracts. So your network will not make money, seems sensible to me regardless of how good the product is.

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

20yrs myself.
5 years ? lol what a load of tosh
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 19:44   #23
sollp
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfunkdup View Post
5 years ? lol what a load of tosh
Really? I was offered that deal last year as i had left and was on the 6mths free deal and was then offered this deal to keep me. As i had sold my Sky box a few weeks earlier i was then offered the Family pack half price for a year with a new Sky box installed
Old 15-10-2016, 21:43   #24
Smitherz87
Inactive

Services: TiVo 1TB, 300Mbps Shub3, V+, Telco.
Smitherz87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree if competition finds out project lightning area's they will blanket the area with sales, this is a known fact and is why very little information is added.

BT is a different ball game as most upgrade area's for them they either already provide a service or there is no cable so all other companies will use the OpenReach network. A win win either way for BT.
Smitherz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 21:57   #25
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitherz87 View Post
I agree if competition finds out project lightning area's they will blanket the area with sales, this is a known fact and is why very little information is added.

BT is a different ball game as most upgrade area's for them they either already provide a service or there is no cable so all other companies will use the OpenReach network. A win win either way for BT.
So what's stopping them from doing that when the streetworks hit the register?

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the longest period anyone can be contracted is 3 years if you're a business. I'm not aware of any contracts over 18 months for consumers for right now, at least from the major players.

Surely when they dig the streets the competition will notice and 'blanket the area with discount' so doing the civils well in advance is a damn stupid thing to do?

Can't have it both ways. Either you keep it quiet until the last minute or you do the civils well in advance. I'd hope you see how these contradict each other if it's that big of a deal giving competitors a heads up. There's always going to be something for contractors to do and most local authorities will permit early starts if it's part of a larger programme.

---------- Post added at 20:57 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

Just thinking some more are you guys aware that when an area is planned the customers who've signed up on Cable My Street get an email indicating it's on the way? There are roads here that won't be built out to for years that have had that email as the planning has been done. Not exactly the actions of a business obsessing over secrecy.
Old 15-10-2016, 22:23   #26
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
The problem occurs when your competitors know your intentions and then blanket the area with discount tying customers in for 1-5yrs ...
Three-year contracts were banned by Ofcom over five years ago. https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...year-contracts
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 19:23   #27
sollp
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
So what's stopping them from doing that when the streetworks hit the register?

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

I'm pretty sure the longest period anyone can be contracted is 3 years if you're a business. I'm not aware of any contracts over 18 months for consumers for right now, at least from the major players.

Surely when they dig the streets the competition will notice and 'blanket the area with discount' so doing the civils well in advance is a damn stupid thing to do?

Can't have it both ways. Either you keep it quiet until the last minute or you do the civils well in advance. I'd hope you see how these contradict each other if it's that big of a deal giving competitors a heads up. There's always going to be something for contractors to do and most local authorities will permit early starts if it's part of a larger programme.

---------- Post added at 20:57 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

Just thinking some more are you guys aware that when an area is planned the customers who've signed up on Cable My Street get an email indicating it's on the way? There are roads here that won't be built out to for years that have had that email as the planning has been done. Not exactly the actions of a business obsessing over secrecy.
The construction side will probably be done advance for small infill areas not not major towns and cities.

As for the contract i was surprised when offered it as i hadn't heard of anyone having that type of contract. I didn't take it at the time so who knows if it was a genuine offer?

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Three-year contracts were banned by Ofcom over five years ago. https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...year-contracts
Don't tell me tell Sky, i was offered that so can only comment on what i was offered
Old 17-10-2016, 00:12   #28
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

how can u check what areas will be having this?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 14:04   #29
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:

Don't tell me tell Sky, i was offered that so can only comment on what i was offered
Now stop being silly .. its a serious debate
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 11:17   #30
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
how can u check what areas will be having this?
If you mean the build full stop you can't.

If you mean FTTP it will be 'brand new customers only'. More specifically new areas rather than smaller in-fill builds of streets near existing network.