Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Home Network Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Port Forward Not Working, Help!

Old 21-04-2012, 17:42   #1
Mechanicus
Inactive

Mechanicus will become famous soon enoughMechanicus will become famous soon enoughMechanicus will become famous soon enough
Port Forward Not Working, Help!

Hello. I recently purchased Minecraft, and decided to play some multiplayer, but have run into a problem.

It seems that any server with a port on the end doesn't work. So a server with the address 90.204.209.130 works fine, but another server like 178.239.170.69:25565 doesn't work.

I went into port forwarding a put this in:

Name: Mcraft
Start Port: 25565
End Port: 25565
Protocol: Both
Local IP Address: 192.168.0.2

But it doesn't work. I tried using 2 port checker sites, but they both say that the port is still closed. I have checked the same ports with my laptop, and get the same problem. I tried turning off my firewall and antivirus software, as well as the firewall in the router, but no luck. I also tried forwarding a different port for a different server, but that didn't work either.

What do I do?
Mechanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-04-2012, 18:55   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Port Forward Not Working, Help!

Did you set a fixed IP in your computer?

When checking ports the application in question must be closed.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 18:58   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Port forwarding won't help since you can't connect to a server not a server cannot connect to you. Port forwarding only enables a port to work if you're running a server on your own machine.

Default port for minecraft is 25565 so you can connect fine to servers on that port. More likely than not you are entering the IP address format wrong or the program is not recognizing it. Also read the port forwarding warning on the Minecraft wiki pages: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Setting_up_a_server
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 19:49   #4
Mechanicus
Inactive

Mechanicus will become famous soon enoughMechanicus will become famous soon enoughMechanicus will become famous soon enough

Well yougetsignal.com tells me
Quote:
"Closed Port 25565 is closed on [IP Address]."

And canyouseeme.org says
Quote:
"Error: I could not see your service on [IP Address] on port (25565)
Reason: Connection refused"
So clearly the ports aren't open.
Old 22-04-2012, 00:37   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

They're not supposed to be open.
Old 22-04-2012, 12:15   #6
Mechanicus
Inactive

Ok so I found another server with a port, and that worked. I have no idea why some of the other server aren't working, but someone else on the server thread mentioned they couldn't get in either.

Thanks for the help anyway.
Old 22-04-2012, 12:50   #7
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

You've gotten the wrong end of the stick anyway, port forwarding is not for opening ports to your PC for outgoing communications it is for incoming communications, for instance, if you were running your own Minecraft server.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 21:14   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I already said that