Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phone cost increasing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Phone cost increasing

Old 21-06-2011, 21:18   #16
tridens

Services: Sky TV HD
Re: Phone cost increasing

Sky at the moment are doing Free line install for Virgin customers taking line rental and calls Normally £40 i just got my line rental with sky for £9.25 pm if you pay for 12 months free evening and weekend calls 0870 caller display
Advertisement
Old 23-06-2011, 11:56   #17
BILLYVIRGIN
Inactive

BILLYVIRGIN is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Virgin Mobile Out of Tariff Price increase 25th July

Virgin tell me that by September 0845, 0870 etc numbers will be included in your unlimited calls per month, assuming you have of-course that set-up on your phone package, I am still annoyed the 90p on phone bill rise in August is pathetic and greed by Virgin. but we are all hooked on there big three, Phone/Broadband/TV so what do we do ?? complain to Virgin and Sky and the likes of multinational company's.every day phone and complain, stick together and complain. United we stand !! divided we fall.
BILLYVIRGIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 15:12   #18
windbag
Inactive

Services: Virgin 10M Broadband
windbag is an unknown quantity at this point

We were a bit miffed at getting the letter re the increase, as the contact we signed was only in April, installed May 11th (via an employee-specific Advantages deal).
The pdf brochure on the Advantages site describing the (minimum one year) contract package gave as part of monthly cost breakdown:

"Cost breakdown:
• Phoneline is £12.99 ongoing"

No mention of an increase to come only 2 months later. If we have to be tied to the specified contract for 12 months (without penalty), so should VM.

It's not obvious how much benefit the 0870 change will be.
It could be significant, but unless they detail it on the bills, which they didn't on our first, that will be difficult to assess.
windbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 19:54   #19
BILLYVIRGIN
Inactive

BILLYVIRGIN is an unknown quantity at this point

More company's are now using 0870 0844 etc etc, so at the moment if you phone a lot of business numbers it will help significantly in the future. As i said get on the phone to Virgin,ask for customer service and suggest you wish to discuss leaving them for BT,or Sky ?? and they will talk to you about reducing your monthly expense, tell then you have a budget etc etc, ok lay it on thick, ,just try it ok, good luck, post me with a victory
BILLYVIRGIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 22:57   #20
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by windbag View Post
No mention of an increase to come only 2 months later. If we have to be tied to the specified contract for 12 months (without penalty), so should VM.
VM are bound by the contract. That is why you are free to leave the contract with no ongoing charges if they change it in any way, such as by putting the price up. Just call up VM and ask to dissolve your contract quoting their price rise letter as the reason. You can then switch to another provider. I warn you though, I think they all do this because the alternative is to have people on a whole range of different call charge ladders with different time-out dates to switch to the latest tariffs.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 20:17   #21
kenoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
VM are bound by the contract. That is why you are free to leave the contract with no ongoing charges if they change it in any way, such as by putting the price up. Just call up VM and ask to dissolve your contract quoting their price rise letter as the reason. You can then switch to another provider. I warn you though, I think they all do this because the alternative is to have people on a whole range of different call charge ladders with different time-out dates to switch to the latest tariffs.
I wonder if it's ever a good idea to switch anything

lets assume the switch goes smoothly, there is no guarantee that the new company will not do the same to you, in the future months

In my experience VM are the best provider particularly if you have their cable service, so many of my friends have switched away only to find the Broadband speeds appalling

I don't like price increases anymore than the next bloke, but sometimes its better sticking with what you know

IMHO VM are up there with the best and no dearer in the long run
Old 26-06-2011, 22:01   #22
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Well, if you have Sky telly then Sky LLU is worth considering as their package prices are good. If you use Freeview then TalkTalk LLU is really cheap and their forum support is great (though not so their phone support). BE do some interesting products as well, especially if you want LLU ADSL with no phone line. All of these services rely on a good phone line though, so it all depends on that. Also BE and Talk Talk rely on BT to do the engineering so it can be a bit of a disjointed experience getting anything done. I have no idea if Sky use BT to do their engineering or not.

Certainly, most providers follow BT's lead with phone tariff price rises. VM are a little better in this regard as they don't always seem to follow the BT tune, at least they haven't moved evening rates from 18:00h to 19:00h, but their call charges are not the best and the additional cost for Caller Display seems outdated.

The key is packages, as always.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 12:06   #23
VMboy
Inactive

VMboy is infamous around these partsVMboy is infamous around these parts

Talk Weekends, am I right in that when it says Unlimited calls to 0870, 01, 02, 03 and Virgin Mobile phones at weekends. does this mean any numbers that begin with 0131 the Edinburgh code for example?

Also I take it that Talk Weekends is the Medium package?
VMboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 12:45   #24
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMboy View Post
does this mean any numbers that begin with 0131 the Edinburgh code for example?
Yes

Quote:
Also I take it that Talk Weekends is the Medium package?
Yes
Old 27-06-2011, 16:33   #25
VMboy
Inactive

VMboy is infamous around these partsVMboy is infamous around these parts

I don't suppose it matters that we don't dial the first part (0131) when calling locally?
VMboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 16:46   #26
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Nope
Old 27-06-2011, 20:21   #27
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYVIRGIN View Post
More company's are now using 0870 0844 etc etc, so at the moment if you phone a lot of business numbers it will help significantly in the future. As i said get on the phone to Virgin,ask for customer service and suggest you wish to discuss leaving them for BT,or Sky ?? and they will talk to you about reducing your monthly expense, tell then you have a budget etc etc, ok lay it on thick, ,just try it ok, good luck, post me with a victory
The whole thing is a game of cat & mouse - as soon as VM start to offer the incusion of 0845 & 0870, more companies are moving to 0844 & 0871 which are chargeable across every network operator.

For customers who get this package - good on them. Personally, I can't help but think this only goes towards legitimising 08x numbers and giving companies an excuse to keep earning their revenue-share on incoming calls at the expense of the majority of the British public.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 20:35   #28
kenoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
The whole thing is a game of cat & mouse - as soon as VM start to offer the incusion of 0845 & 0870, more companies are moving to 0844 & 0871 which are chargeable across every network operator.

For customers who get this package - good on them. Personally, I can't help but think this only goes towards legitimising 08x numbers and giving companies an excuse to keep earning their revenue-share on incoming calls at the expense of the majority of the British public.
Yes your right,

I had the 0845 package for a while (£2 pm) but cancelled it as most of the numbers I needed to ring had changed from 0845 to 0844 or 0871
so it didn't work for me as the 0844 and 0871 are still chargeable
Old 28-06-2011, 11:38   #29
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoliver View Post
Yes your right,

I had the 0845 package for a while (£2 pm) but cancelled it as most of the numbers I needed to ring had changed from 0845 to 0844 or 0871
so it didn't work for me as the 0844 and 0871 are still chargeable
Hi Ken i think vm have 2 levels of 08 packages your old one is talk 08 £2 which includes 0845/0870 as well i think,and there is also talk 08 £5 which includes numbers such as 0844 and 0871 i think as well as 0845/0870.
Old 28-06-2011, 11:42   #30
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

That's correct - the £5 covers every number starting 08