Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Isohunt.com down?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

firefox won't start

Old 16-08-2009, 14:22   #1
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
firefox won't start

my son's acer laptop won't open firefox .It was working fine yesterday but has refused to start i keep on getting "fiefox has stopped working" message with no solutions .I have uninstalled and re-installed using I.E.that works with no problems ,any one got any ideas
Advertisement
Old 16-08-2009, 14:37   #2
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050
Re: firefox won't start

Ctrl + Alt + Delete - Task Manager =-

Processes - look for "firefox.exe" and click on it and then click "end process"
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 14:44   #3
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
Ctrl + Alt + Delete - Task Manager =-

Processes - look for "firefox.exe" and click on it and then click "end process"
i think you have misunderstood it won't start ,i don't have a problem stopping it
Old 16-08-2009, 14:44   #4
webcrawler2050
Inactive

webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age

Thats the point, sometimes, if things wont start, theres a build up in the services..
Old 16-08-2009, 14:51   #5
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Have you tried starting it in firefox safe mode and working through the options listed there?

Add...knew I had read about this some where when I was trying to work out the same problem. Found the link.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox
Old 16-08-2009, 15:12   #6
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Have you tried starting it in firefox safe mode and working through the options listed there?

Add...knew I had read about this some where when I was trying to work out the same problem. Found the link.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox

tried starting in safe mode with networking but it still won't start so i can't access any of the settings which should be default as it is a fresh install
Old 16-08-2009, 15:13   #7
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
tried starting in safe mode with networking but it still won't start so i can't access any of the settings which should be default as it is a fresh install
Have you started Firefox in safe mode? Or the PC?
Old 16-08-2009, 15:48   #8
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
Have you started Firefox in safe mode? Or the PC?
both to no effect

got it stated in safe mode all the settings are default ,as expected but still cannot open web pages when used out of safe mode it won't even open google

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:32 ----------

thanks for you help guys got it sorted i managed to get in and restore all defaults and disable the addons
Old 16-08-2009, 15:49   #9
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Could you try making a 2nd profile which will be completely clean? This is what I ended up doing, I still shudder when I remember having to use that scary black screen thingy, and luckily for me it worked

ADD.... just seen your post. Glad you got it sorted.
Old 16-08-2009, 17:20   #10
martyh

Quote:
Could you try making a 2nd profile which will be completely clean? This is what I ended up doing, I still shudder when I remember having to use that scary black screen thingy, and luckily for me it worked

ADD.... just seen your post. Glad you got it sorted.
thanks, don't know how long it will last though ,remember this was my teenage sons lappy ,after i got firefox fixed i decided to scan for malware and found 272 infections ,the firewall was turned off because his friend told him it slows the laptop down as was avast for the same reason

what can you do
Old 16-08-2009, 17:24   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
thanks, don't know how long it will last though ,remember this was my teenage sons lappy ,after i got firefox fixed i decided to scan for malware and found 272 infections ,the firewall was turned off because his friend told him it slows the laptop down as was avast for the same reason

what can you do
Shoot his friend...
Old 16-08-2009, 17:25   #12
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

what can you do
I dont know whether it`s an option but considering the above i would probably re-install that machine from scratch.....in fact,no probably about it.
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 17:32   #13
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpod View Post
I dont know whether it`s an option but considering the above i would probably re-install that machine from scratch.....in fact,no probably about it.
yeah i was going to do that but then thought why the hell should i waste my sunday messing on with his machine when he can't be bothered and doesn't listen to me anyway ,so the next time he loses connection during a vital sesion on face book or msn ..tough he can sort it out himself
Old 16-08-2009, 18:22   #14
joglynne
Born again teenager.

I'm probably the least savvy person who attempts to help on these threads so this is very likely not possible but, if you made yourself the administrator on his machine could you make his AV and/or firewall only changeable by you?

Sorry if it's not possible but my son did something that used to tell me off if I tried to change some settings on my computer when he didn't trust me not to fiddle. A couple of slaps around his knee caps and he changed the settings. Now he just sighs a lot when he sees what I get up to.
Old 16-08-2009, 18:25   #15
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
I'm probably the least savvy person who attempts to help on these threads so this is very likely not possible but, if you made yourself the administrator on his machine could you make his AV and/or firewall only changeable by you?

Sorry if it's not possible but my son did something that used to tell me off if I tried to change some settings on my computer when he didn't trust me not to fiddle. A couple of slaps around his knee caps and he changed the settings. Now he just sighs a lot when he sees what I get up to.
Ah yes, make a new password protective administrator account and make the other account a limited account, that should sort it out
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote