Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Config file help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Config file help

Old 25-10-2008, 23:05   #16
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles
Re: Config file help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
So. is there 56k less upstream on NTL, than there is on Telewest or not?
All I know is that they are listed differently in the configs and in the online tools, that does not mean they are actually different speeds, you would need a NTL trained tech to tell you otherwise as I am Telewest trained and therefore not fully conversant with all the differences on the 3 platforms as stated above.
Advertisement
Old 25-10-2008, 23:13   #17
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech View Post
All I know is that they are listed differently in the configs and in the online tools, that does not mean they are actually different speeds, you would need a NTL trained tech to tell you otherwise as I am Telewest trained and therefore not fully conversant with all the differences on the 3 platforms as stated above.
Well I think 200000 in a config file is going to give you the same speed. whether or not you put it in an NTL or a Telewest modem.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 23:17   #18
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Well I think 200000 in a config file is going to give you the same speed. whether or not you put it in an NTL or a Telewest modem.
Depends how it is read as nearly all Telewest modems now have encrypted configs to prevent fraud.
Old 25-10-2008, 23:19   #19
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

The 2Mbit service on the Langley and Bromley platforms has always been 200000 bits/second, while on Telewest Knowsley it has always been 256000, so Knowsley have always had 56k more upstream on the 2Mbit, and that's about it. Not much more to say on that score, it's a difference in the config files between the platforms.

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

Quote:
Depends how it is read as nearly all Telewest modems now have encrypted configs to prevent fraud.
They are not encrypted, they have an MD5 hash incorporated into them. I realise that they are referred to as being encrypted but that's not the case, they are using the hash as an integrity check to ensure they haven't been diddled with but that's about it, the configs themselves remain easily readable via a DOCSIS config viewer.

It prevents obtaining extra upstream by feeding the modem a modified config file but does not alleviate the issue of cloned modems, this can only be addressed via dynamic config files and BPI+, utilising the public keys and certficates built into the modems, but requires a migration of the network to DOCSIS 1.1.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 23:21   #20
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
The 2Mbit service on the Langley and Bromley platforms has always been 200000 bits/second, while on Telewest Knowsley it has always been 256000, so Knowsley have always had 56k more upstream on the 2Mbit, and that's about it. Not much more to say on that score, it's a difference in the config files between the platforms.
Thanks mate that's all I wanted to know. it's like trying to squeeze juice out of a stone asking someone else
Old 25-10-2008, 23:23   #21
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Well Gary I think you have your answer, but as I said further up the thread many people have posted their configs but only today has anyone actually noticed that the is a difference.
Old 25-10-2008, 23:24   #22
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Well Gary I think you have your answer, but as I said further up the thread many people have posted their configs but only today has anyone actually noticed that the is a difference.
Have always been aware of it but if people don't care what's the point in mentioning it
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 23:29   #23
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I know. it's not mentioned in the small print either
Old 25-10-2008, 23:31   #24
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Thanks mate that's all I wanted to know. it's like trying to squeeze juice out of a stone asking someone else
I told you Gary I am not a NTL tech so not really aware of every subtle difference between the 3 platforms, that is why I said only a NTL tech or as it now happens someone with Broadbandings knowledge could confirm.

You cannot squeeze juice out if its not there

As I said the amount of times I have seen it in posts on here is amazing and only today someone noticed, I just used the 2MB config to tell me if they were NTL or Telewest.
Old 25-10-2008, 23:36   #25
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Have always been aware of it but if people don't care what's the point in mentioning it
People should care. especially when there's STM that restricts your upload one way, and you got a restriction already without STM
Old 25-10-2008, 23:37   #26
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
The Telewest side side have only been aware of it since we started taking NTL calls and noticed the difference.
Old 26-10-2008, 00:11   #27
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Why haven't Virgin done anything about it because it's blatant mis-advertising of your service.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 00:12   #28
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I told you Gary I am not a NTL tech so not really aware of every subtle difference between the 3 platforms, that is why I said only a NTL tech or as it now happens someone with Broadbandings knowledge could confirm.

You cannot squeeze juice out if its not there

As I said the amount of times I have seen it in posts on here is amazing and only today someone noticed, I just used the 2MB config to tell me if they were NTL or Telewest.
It's ok mate. you really don't have to explain yourself

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Machine View Post
Why haven't Virgin done anything about it because it's blatant mis-advertising of your service.
They thought nobody would notice. which nobody did.
up until now
Old 26-10-2008, 13:55   #29
Lucifer1
Inactive

Lucifer1 is on a distinguished roadLucifer1 is on a distinguished road

My story continued...

Well after an interesting everning calling tech support 4 times and getting through to india all 4 times and banging my head against a brick wall i decided to wait till the morning to get through to swansea, after talking to someone who knew what i was on about regarding the config file he said it was a website miss-print that the M package supported 256k up, at that point i just agreed (knowing he was wrong) and hung up, i then had an interesting call with CS and explained the situation and now my config file looks a lot more healthy, all be it not on the 2 meg package...

Thanks for all the input and help regarding this.

Lucifer
(ADSL tech support)
Lucifer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 14:15   #30
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer1 View Post
he said it was a website miss-print that the M package supported 256k up, at that point i just agreed (knowing he was wrong) and hung up,
It's not wrong, it's a lie.

Quote:
i then had an interesting call with CS and explained the situation and now my config file looks a lot more healthy, all be it not on the 2 meg package...
So now your config file is 256 upload and you're on NTL network?
if they can change yours and they know that others are being short changed then it will be very interesting.