Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | virgin's netgear router and cable modem problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

dLAN plug problems

Old 01-08-2009, 17:02   #1
Simiolion
Inactive

Simiolion is an unknown quantity at this point
dLAN plug problems

I recently had to change the motherboard on my computer as the old one kond of blew up on me. When I had set the new one up properly and the computer got up and running I plugged my dLAN plugs into the back of the computer like usual and the network connects to 'unidentified network'.

My internet set up is kinda weird so I will try to explain it:

My computer -> dLan plug -> Router -> Phone Line
Parents computer -> Router -> Phone line

The only thing that has changed to stop it working is that I have changed my motherboard.

If i type "ipconfig /all" in the cmd thing it comes up with the following

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethern
et Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : <removed>
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5c83:27f6:8bbf:331d%14(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.<removed>(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : <removed>
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I get the feeling that the Autoconfiguration should start with 192 like my wireless does but don't know how to change it. Have reset router, pc etc etc and nothing changes. I have also tried different ethernet cables and the software that comes with the plugs never did anything relating to the set up even when it all worked.
Simiolion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2009, 17:48   #2
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: dLAN plug problems

Is there software that came with the dLan plugs? Perhaps you have to run that to register the new MAC address.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 17:57   #3
Simiolion
Inactive

I never had to install the software for it to work before . . .

If i install the software though the programs it installs are:
1. Program to encrypt your data so if you have more than one computer using them it does not get mixed up with the other ones.
2. Program to sent files between computers via a LAN
3. Program which shows some information about what Firmware is on the plugs and the MAC addresses
Old 01-08-2009, 19:51   #4
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

"My internet set up is kinda weird so I will try to explain it:

My computer -> dLan plug -> Router -> Phone Line
Parents computer -> Router -> Phone line

"

why do you think its weard ?
the Atheros AR8121 is a generic 1 gig ethernet chipset/SOC what exactly is this "dlan plug" you speak of ?

do you actually mean a generic wired ethernet cable pluged into your onboard ethernet socket at one end and the other into the routers lan port 1, i assume so....

right, as far as the internal LAN your connected to is concerned, the thing thats changed is YOUR MAC No.

the router above you refer to, is not giving out a DHCP IP address after getting a request from you, or your PCs not picking up the response....

is the router locked down to only give access to the old MAC No.s and if so thats simple, unlock it, then it should let you connect, then add your new MAC no. to the list and set it back to secure...

the problem IS between your ethernet port and the router, nothing after than can effect you as you deal with that router for all your input/ouput routing..... so concentrate your efforts there if the info you have given is accurate....

you removed the MAC address so i cant be sure, but in the case of a direct connection to the VM CM its been known that a generic MAC of 00.00.00.00 on a wired ethernet PCi card can stop the DHCP server giving out a valid IP address, but it works fine for a USB2 ethernet with the same generic MAC address, but iv never seen it, or had any reports that it can also happen with a 3rd party routers DHCP server before..... but werth keeping in mind.

the solution for that old VM bug was simple, put another MAC address in your windows ethernet stack registry overrideing the default 00.00.00.00 and the connected DHCP server will then give you a valid IP, netmask, default gateway, and DNS server ip address for the network.

that may work for you too...even if this is a 3rd party routers HDCPd

what is that EXACT routers make, model, and firmware No. BTW, a direct URL to its page might enlighten us perhaps.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 20:40   #5
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

The dLan is mains plugs, so his pathway would be NIC to dlan, dlan through house wiring, eth to router.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:16   #6
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

ohh right, so its actually a generic "HomePlug" mains Ethernet kit then, it would seem if he strings a generic straight ethernet cable between the new PC and the router and the problem goes away then its all down to this dlan HomePlug kit....

its so much easyer to try and help people if your given the full details from the onset...

does the ethernet Leds light up and stay on at both ends proving a wired connnection exists at some point, if not then it seems these HomePlug are to blame for the bad connection.

iv never seen a valid reason to use them myself when cheap 5E ethernet gets you full speed connections at far lower prices, but it seems you need to go "back to basics", connecting a simple cheap (£5 or less) long ethernet cable across the pc/router taking out the HomePlug kit to see if its the PC ,the router or the HomePlug kit settings playing up and stopping basic connectivity.

---------- Post added at 08:16 ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 ----------

hmm , i thought id take a look and according to this review
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardwa...37-devolo.html

i suspect the "encryption key" they refer to was generated by the/your old PC using its internal ethernet cards MAC address as a core component.....

if thats the case, it seems logical to me that right there is your problem....

two options
1: change the new PCs registry MAC address to the old working one, or
2: regenerate a new key for both ends to make it work with your new PC's MAC address.

odd though that implys you cant simply connect any pc you might want to test on that "HomePlug" if you didnt originally generate the "HomePlug" keys with a router/switch already wired up on that section and have it just work.

give me ethernet and wireless every time, such a low 5.2Mbps max (half of even the VM 10Mbit package speed before STM kicks in) for £77/£42 a shot doesnt seem very good value and you would be waiting around a LOT longer for simple binary file copying to/from your other PC's on the LAN.

you can forget most smooth HD video streaming too at that 5.2Mbps max speed, its again half the speed of even the xbox 360's known smooth AVC HD.mp4 playback at 10Mbit/s max...., you do know that even cheap wireless 11n can do "real world" 50Mbit+/s longer reach transfer speeds today dont you.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:49   #7
Simiolion
Inactive

I would use just a long ethernet cable but I am upstairs and at the other end of my house so its not really practical to send a cable all around the house

I am not very apt when it comes to tech related things with my computer. Are you able to tell me exactly how I would go about changing my PCs registry MAC address to the old one or generating a new key for both ends.

Another thing I probably should have mentioned before is that my parents computer is the one that has the control of the router I think. Unless I just haven't figured out how to get to the settings on my end . . .

. . . Or are just being dim. Which is likely

Also I am not worried about internet speeds, our connection is only a 2Mbps connection as the island where I live is dump.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:23   #8
popper
Inactive

theres a slight problem in that you need to know the old working MAC address if the asumption is right, probably the easyest way, is to look at the routers log and get your old working mac from there, you open a url in any browser for the routers internal webpage, something like http://192.168.1.1 depending on the make model etc, if you need more help, tell us the router info and we can try and find it for you....

moving on:
the simplest way to change your MAC address if your in windows XP etc is
open start/ control pannel/network connections

right click your ethernet card that "HomePlug" connected to
click properties
click configure
click advanced and look for the "network address" click that and in the "value" section put your old mac addess as one No. like so

if the old one was 00.00.00.00 so put 00000000 in the "value" section

Ok it, and your done, it should now work, if, as above the "HomePlug" used that mac to make the original key....

OR ,for changing the key in the "HomePlug" if you go that way, your going to have to work that out as per the link above ,install the "HomePlug" SW, connect up each unit to the PC, and run the key generating app i assume..., put it all back as it was, and it should be working again ....

"I would use just a long ethernet cable but I am upstairs and at the other end of my house so its not really practical to send a cable all around the house "

thats seems to me to be a very easy thing to do, far easyer for you than this techy stuff.....

the fact your upstairs should make it easy, you can have an ethernet run upto 300 feet, so you could simply feed the ethernet through your bedroom ceiling , up into the loft, along the top of the outside brick, drop it down the back of an external drain pipe or somthing, and in through a small drill hole after you put a loop in it below the hole, into the room/wall were the router is, back filling with hot glue or some form of sealent to keep away any little water that may run down the cable/wall/pipe later, all in one long good 'heavy' quality sealed ethernet cable run ,done...

"Another thing I probably should have mentioned before is that my parents computer is the one that has the control of the router I think. Unless I just haven't figured out how to get to the settings on my end . . .
"

looking at your OP pasted chain above, it seems anyone pluged into that router can get to it with the right URL as per http://192.168.1.1 or whatever it is for the router managment.

so if you dont have the password, ask your dad or whoever set it up originally for the right URL /password to get in and look at the router logs to get your original working MAC

you will know its your old one as you say you havent got in there yet on this new PC ethernet, and you can find out the other PCs with your "ipconfig /all" on each PC to rule that one out in the log, if you see what i mean

these are the things you need to do when your PCs blow up and you didnt keep a note of these things handy, assuming that old one is on the motherboard and not a simple PCI card you can just pull out and refit inside your new PC OC....
Old 02-08-2009, 12:54   #9
The-Darkside

What model are the homeplug adaptors? I don't see the point in diving in without checking a few facts first. You should be able to use the software that came with the plug in adapters to set up any encryption if you need to use encryption.
Old 02-08-2009, 15:35   #10
popper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Darkside View Post
What model are the homeplug adaptors? I don't see the point in diving in without checking a few facts first. You should be able to use the software that came with the plug in adapters to set up any encryption if you need to use encryption.
as i linked up above , it appears they are these

as the only generally available "dlan" found in a search.
Old 02-08-2009, 21:12   #11
The-Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
as i linked up above , it appears they are these

as the only generally available "dlan" found in a search.
Devolo do a number of different models, including ones that have encryption buttons built in.
So lets let the OP post for himself.
Old 02-08-2009, 22:38   #12
Simiolion
Inactive

Umm the box says

devolo dLAN 200AV Starter Kit and it has the built in encryption button (I have never even realised what the button did)

http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/produk...0aveasysk.html

If you want mre information on what they are

I will have to get my dad to ask the IT guy who installed our router as to what the username is as we don't have a clue >.<
Old 03-08-2009, 11:14   #13
The-Darkside

OK, use the supplied software to check that both units are running the same firmware. You can also then use the supplied software to set up the encryption. All you need is the ID (possibly the MAC address) from the sticker on each unit. You don't need to do anything with the router, the Devolo software is all you need.
Old 03-08-2009, 18:06   #14
Simiolion
Inactive

I feel like such an idiot >.<

The firmware was different for each device and the ID I had got from the bottom of the plug had II not a 11 on it (should have worn my glasses)

Have now got it up an running. Thanks to everyone that helped.

It just seems odd to me that I had to use the software to set it up this time when previously I did not. Oh well whatever