Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

The iPhone thread

Old 17-06-2009, 21:56   #751
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude
re: The iPhone thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
well i hope i get some new features on an original gen1 iphone.

I think they only apply to 3G, I could be wrong.
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-06-2009, 21:57   #752
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspar View Post
All upgraded now to OS 3.0, two phones, took over 2 hours! with many restores and failures!

Ouch!

all that effort and all i get is....cut and paste! wow! go Apple!
hmm my 'hookie' version did it in 1 hit :-)

Once you get into it you'll notice subtle changes throughout the OS.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 21:57   #753
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars

Care to elaborate ? I don't see much at all
Old 17-06-2009, 21:58   #754
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

I know only some features apply to the 3G but most of them should be ok on gen1 phones as there isn't a h/w difference apart from the 3G capability
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 22:02   #755
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

MMS aint working for me

Maybe if I call up and moan enough O2 will let me upgrade to a 3GS without me having to sell a kidney on the black market.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 22:03   #756
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

There is a total of 100 new features and changes.

Mms
copy & paste
spotlight
landscape keyboard
shake to shuffle

just to name a few

O2 have mentioned on Twitter that there is a backlog of mms activations but they will catch up within an hour or so.
Old 17-06-2009, 22:11   #757
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
Care to elaborate ? I don't see much at all
Text message / mms sending adds a nice retry function that was missing. Seems faster sending.
Share contacts easier (like vcard)
Recent call page updated icons
search box at the top of email / calls
Spotlight search left off the home screen
it's now a hold / double tap to screenshot because of the hold to voice on the 3gs
Stocks gets landscape view plus you can touch to view exact price and double hold to view ranges
voice memos is pretty cool
Landscape text and email
a2dp (stereo bluetooth)
forward / delete single messages
auto fill on forms (no logging into cf each time)
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 22:27   #758
bopdude
Inactive

I'll give it a go, like I have a choice lol
Old 18-06-2009, 00:36   #759
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-h View Post
And that sound you can hear is the apple update servers melting

... and the Activation server and more...

The download, verification, and update went quickly & smoothly for my iPhone 3G.

After the phone restarted post-update however, things slowed right down.

Activation took a fair while, as the server died, so all my phone was capable of was emergency calls.

After the activation finally went through, it then took even longer for the iPhone to actually sync, as iTunes "could not contact the server".

Eventually though it worked

Mrs D updated hers less than an hour ago, and everything went smoothly from start to finish.

MMS doesn't seem to work properly yet for me though - I can send but not receive.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 00:38   #760
bopdude
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
MMS doesn't seem to work properly yet for me though - I can send but not receive.
But it is better to giveth than receive.....th
Old 18-06-2009, 15:21   #761
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Upgraded this morning, and immediately rx'd an MMS saying "All done. Picture messaging is ready to use."
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 00:25   #762
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I didn't get the "MMS is ready" text until after I got home from work this evening.

Sent some tests... seems a bit flakey at the moment.

---------- Post added at 23:25 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

Anyone know if OS3.0 has improved the camera in any way on the iPhone 3G? I'm sure I read somewhere that it was meant to improve the image processing or something. Obviously nothing as drastic as upping the hardware to 3MP with AF like the 3G S, but I was sure I had read that there would at least be some sort of software improvement.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 08:03   #763
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Apparently the photos are a little bit sharper.
Old 19-06-2009, 14:27   #764
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Well... My orignal iPhone has a total of a handful of improvements

Main ones are copy/paste, landscape keyboard, voice memos, call icons, spotlight search. Thats about it.

How do you screenshot your iphone... I managed to do it accidently once but i've tried the double tap or tap-hold and neither seems to work?

I can't believe that original iPhones are not capable of MMS - as it runs through GPRS/Edge and not a 3G connection! Its really not nice of apple to limit the hardware like this when its completely capable of such things as MMS and A2DP Bluetooth!
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 14:47   #765
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
How do you screenshot your iphone... I managed to do it accidently once but i've tried the double tap or tap-hold and neither seems to work?
Hold the home button and press and release the standby button on top.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote