Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cable depth/armour (old install)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Cable depth/armour (old install)

Old 16-09-2011, 12:36   #1
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute
Cable depth/armour (old install)

Morning all!

It's a gardening frenzy here at TD Towers. Over the last few days I've been working on the front garden and I've found something a bit disturbing. Basically, my install (probably about 8 years before I moved in 3 years ago) appears to have been done 'quickly'. Whilst I was tidying up the gravel (goddamn bindweed!) I found that my Siamese cable from the street to the Omnibox is A) only about 4" down and B) not protected in the slightest.

Now in the next month or two I'm planning on having the small strip of gravel where it runs block paved. If I've found the cable when weeding, it's pretty likely that the guys doing the paving will. With it being unprotected, I honestly wouldn't blame them if it got damaged.

Suggestions? Will Virgin give a monkeys if I call them?
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-09-2011, 13:27   #2
mark1234
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV XL, Broadband XL (60), Phone XL, Windows 7 Media Centre
mark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to all
Re: Cable depth/armour (old install)

Sounds like the same guys who did my install (sometime before I moved in 10 years ago) where the cable was just layed no more than an inch or two down in the mud going along the side of the drive.
mark1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 13:58   #3
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

10 to 15 years ago or maybe even longer ago, I was actually in the process of paving my front yard when I was installed.

The cable was just layed on the bare earth. I remember having to ask the Guys to leave me a bit of slack so I could bury it a bit before slabbing over it.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 14:33   #4
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
10 to 15 years ago or maybe even longer ago, I was actually in the process of paving my front yard when I was installed.

The cable was just layed on the bare earth. I remember having to ask the Guys to leave me a bit of slack so I could bury it a bit before slabbing over it.
Sounds like the install that I had 14 years ago in the ntl days, the cable is only 2" below the surface and not in prtective pipeing.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 12:54   #5
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

Righto then. I'll leave it as it stands and ask the block paving guys to be careful and hope for the best
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 13:37   #6
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

mine also, no green conduit protection and at an inadequate depth.

is it possible to get this sorted out years later?

my access point on the pavement is also missing its cover and has become filled with earth.

looks like BT pulled up the paving slabs and stuff to install a pit next to their pole and didnt bother to re-install the VM access point properly.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 16:00   #7
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
mine also, no green conduit protection and at an inadequate depth.

is it possible to get this sorted out years later?

my access point on the pavement is also missing its cover and has become filled with earth.

looks like BT pulled up the paving slabs and stuff to install a pit next to their pole and didnt bother to re-install the VM access point properly.
You will be referring to a Tee cap, its not vital this is in place unless a cable repull is required, if theres a blockage then this can be cleared by the contractors.

You can arrange a team to come and rebury the cable but I think theres normally a £100 charge for non fault callouts (customer service guys confirm?). If theres enough slack on the cable you could try reburying yourself?

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 16:41   #8
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
You will be referring to a Tee cap, its not vital this is in place unless a cable repull is required, if theres a blockage then this can be cleared by the contractors.

You can arrange a team to come and rebury the cable but I think theres normally a £100 charge for non fault callouts (customer service guys confirm?). If theres enough slack on the cable you could try reburying yourself?
I dont mind burying it myself, but i guess the slack depends on how much slack is left in the pit down the road.

If I did, I know its an odd request but would my local depot be likely to be helpfully if I went there and asked for some of the green conduit to lay it inside? As it is supposed to be green but its not available anywhere else that I can see so it must be made for VM.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 16:46   #9
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

No harm in asking I suppose, its only Green so as to identify it as cable duct but if your doing it yourself then it doesnt really matter what colour it is, its going to be buried at the end of the day Conduit at my house is black.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote