Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 13-01-2017, 20:02   #2656
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCableForMe View Post
I got that email, when I click on "Offers and Upgrades tab" all I get is

"We're sorry, but we're unable to change your package online. We'll be happy to do it for you over the phone, and it'll only take a few minutes. Please call us on 0345 454 1111 to speak to someone who can help."

FFS, can't even fix their own web site.
Maybe because you have a discount already.
But in my case, well worth ringing as it reduced my cost by £10 per month
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2017, 23:52   #2657
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_w2k View Post
2 x V6's installed today. Really happy and deliver everything I wanted (so far!)... Fast (instant pretty much), seamless search is worth using now and jumps into Netflix etc quickly and it is just as quick as the 4K app on our Panasonic TV (if not quicker). Now have Netflix on our bedroom TV also which is a bonus.

Still need to test the recording sharing between boxes etc but so far I am very pleased, well worth £114 as it'll stop me throwing the remote at the TV in frustration :-)

As most people agreed, no issue what so ever connecting to my ethernet switch rather than moving the SuperHub etc.

As an aside they look much better in real life. The pictures make it look quite bulky but in fact it is small.

Friendly installer arrived on time (and was patient as we did not hear the doorbell first time!) and got everything set up quickly.

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

One question - I have gone only to copy the Series Links etc to one of the new boxes... It said it would take 30 mins to appear but they have not yet. Is that normal?
Same here, 2 V6 boxes installed today (ordered last year - 31st Dec to be precise)

Minor wobble with install window, but engineer did the job (hope wife gave him a cuppa as I was on a course)

Been hammering both boxes with recordings - only problem so far was downstairs box crashed when I tried to watch a recording from upstairs box - really hope this feature works as I hate sitting upstairs to watch.

Can I watch a recording from upstairs box when wife is watching live TVs upstairs or even a different upstairs recording?

Bit disappointing I cannot watch live to on my iPad via 3G connection as I could with sky.

Can I download a recording to my iPad as you can with SkyQ?

Overall impression - good quality, responsive box.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 00:02   #2658
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Maybe because you have a discount already.
But in my case, well worth ringing as it reduced my cost by £10 per month
I've not got any discounts at all and I get the same message (BB only)

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 23:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
only problem so far was downstairs box crashed when I tried to watch a recording from upstairs box
Oops, off to a good start then. No doubt someone will be along in a minute to say I only point out the bad bits...
Old 14-01-2017, 06:07   #2659
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
I've not got any discounts at all and I get the same message (BB only)

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 23:01 ----------

Oops, off to a good start then... No doubt someone will be along in a minute to say I only point out the bad bits.
Well you seem to be doing that job just fine.
Old 14-01-2017, 11:03   #2660
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

I always get that message in 'my vm' upgrades. Maybe it's because I've things that they don't offer any longer - 150mb bb, free extra box with XL/Tivo. When I rang up to renegotiate this week it took them ages to work out. You nearly always get a better deal ringing anyway.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 14:53   #2661
marlman
cf.member

marlman is on a distinguished roadmarlman is on a distinguished road

My V6 is coming Tuesday looking forward to getting rid of my TiVo which has become virtually unusable.
One thing the TiVo does is give a good HD picture I have not seen many reviews actually mention the picture quality.
So for those of you who already have it what is the HD picture like?
Is it better than the TiVo or comparable?
marlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 15:17   #2662
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Yes, it can take hours. You might be able to hurry it along by going into the Network settings and do "Connect to Virgin Media Service now"
Thanks for the advice. Yep by this morning was updated :-)

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Same here, 2 V6 boxes installed today (ordered last year - 31st Dec to be precise)

Minor wobble with install window, but engineer did the job (hope wife gave him a cuppa as I was on a course)

Been hammering both boxes with recordings - only problem so far was downstairs box crashed when I tried to watch a recording from upstairs box - really hope this feature works as I hate sitting upstairs to watch.

Can I watch a recording from upstairs box when wife is watching live TVs upstairs or even a different upstairs recording?

Bit disappointing I cannot watch live to on my iPad via 3G connection as I could with sky.

Can I download a recording to my iPad as you can with SkyQ?

Overall impression - good quality, responsive box.
Yeah pretty sure you can stream a recording whilst the other box is in use/watching live TV
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 11:09   #2663
cress11
Inactive

cress11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
First time on the forum for me - hello to all!

I received a v6 yesterday and now have a problem....

Previously I was able to send the Tivo image from the ground floor to the loft room, allowing me to watch recordings etc on a second TV. I controlled this using the TV anywhere app. The image was sent by linking the Tivo scart to a Mercury RF Modulator. Via coax and a Labgear distribution unit the signal was sent to the second TV.

The V6 doesn't have a working SCART out...

So, is there a way of:
1. Using some kind of SCART adapter to connect the V6 to the Mercury modulator?
2. Linking the V6 and the second TV via ethernet? The two TVs are both linked to the home network (via a gigabit switch) using CAT 5 or 6 (I don't know which and I don't know how to check).

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks
cress11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 11:54   #2664
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cress11 View Post
Hi,

Previously I was able to send the Tivo image from the ground floor to the loft room, allowing me to watch recordings etc on a second TV. I controlled this using the TV anywhere app. The image was sent by linking the Tivo scart to a Mercury RF Modulator. Via coax and a Labgear distribution unit the signal was sent to the second TV.

So, is there a way of:
2. Linking the V6 and the second TV via ethernet? The two TVs are both linked to the home network (via a gigabit switch) using CAT 5 or 6 (I don't know which and I don't know how to check).

Many thanks
Easiest way is probably to get a second V6 and connect via WiFi or Cat5/6 I reckon.
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 12:03   #2665
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

This is the main reason I'm sticking with Tivo for now. The scart out allows feeds to other TVs and record to DVD/hard drive.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 14:15   #2666
cress11
Inactive

cress11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hi,

So, is there a way of:

Many thanks

HI,

After a bit of research, a bit more detail around my specific question:

I would like to watch content from my Tivo V6 box in 2 different rooms. I achieved this with my old Tivo box using the scart out and a RF modulator over coax.

I'm now looking at the ESYNIC HDMI Extender and ESYNIC HDMI splitter (The V6 has only one HDMI port) . The two TVs are connected via Cat 5 or Cat 6 (I don't know how to tell the difference, but it was fitted in late 2011) via a gigabit switch.

Given the specification I have noted above, do you imagine this will work well? If the gigabit switch is and issue, I could connect directly using a coupler - what do you think?

FYI: I have tested the connection by temporarily moving a second Tivo box to one of the rooms I'm working on. By linking the two boxes over my network (via the gigabit switch) I can stream full1080p recorded content between the two boxes.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated......
cress11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 15:03   #2667
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
HI,

After a bit of research, a bit more detail around my specific question:

I would like to watch content from my Tivo V6 box in 2 different rooms. I achieved this with my old Tivo box using the scart out and a RF modulator over coax.

I'm now looking at the ESYNIC HDMI Extender and ESYNIC HDMI splitter (The V6 has only one HDMI port) . The two TVs are connected via Cat 5 or Cat 6 (I don't know how to tell the difference, but it was fitted in late 2011) via a gigabit switch.

Given the specification I have noted above, do you imagine this will work well? If the gigabit switch is and issue, I could connect directly using a coupler - what do you think?

FYI: I have tested the connection by temporarily moving a second Tivo box to one of the rooms I'm working on. By linking the two boxes over my network (via the gigabit switch) I can stream full1080p recorded content between the two boxes.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated......
Exactly the set up I have had for around 4 years on my TiVo and works well.

The only difference is my HDMI extender doesn't need power but does need two Cat 5/6 cables the same length to work. Probably all that was available without spending a fortune at the time. I also need to use an IR sender for the remote to work in the other room.

I'm looking to use the same setup when I eventually order a V6, should work the same with the added bonus of ditching the IR sender due to the V6 remote being RF
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 15:23   #2668
spiderwebb46
cf.member

spiderwebb46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Not a regular poster on here, but I try to read as much as what interests me. At the risk of asking questions that may have answers elsewhere here goes. I ordered my Tivo V6 before Christmas but unless I accepted a NYE install date they could not offer me any other install dates until 1st Feb, which in the end I accepted. I am a long standing loyal XL customer who started out life with NTL and still have an ntlworld.com email address. When the guy comes to take away by existing 1tb Tivo box and replace it with the new V6 will he have the ability to switch over all of my saved programmes to the new V6 box ? Also will he be able to switch over to the new V6 box all of my Series Link list as well or do I have to start again. I suspect I know the answer to this but thought I would enquire of the community for their experiences. I am further being charged £50 for this new V6 box even though I am a long standing loyal XL customer. I can but wonder if this will be refunded eventually in same way as the refund was sent to me when I was originally asked to pay for the Tivo 1tb box. I have no idea what the new V6 is going to bring me but from what I can glean it seems to be a big leap forward to the existing setup which is getting very slow and "clanky" - I invite your comments please. - Roger
spiderwebb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 00:33   #2669
Ryo
Inactive

Ryo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
No. You can transfer series links. recording Wishlists and Thumbs but recordings themselves

Some people have opted to keep their existing TiVo which can be done for £7.50 a month whilst they clear down the recordings they want to watch. If you connect the TiVo and V6 boxes together via your home network you can stream recordings between the two
Hope you can help BenMcr

I had the V6 installed sat 7th and apart from It being superfast, and easy to DL settings from my old TiVo with series links etc, I'm very underwhelmed with what I was promised I can do with it, I kept my TiVo box and was hoping to stream shows from it I still had, but I've been told that can't be done without paying for a powerline connection, I wasnt left with the new HDMI cable and the setup steaming device doesn't work, never gets past step one and then says set up problem, set up did not complete successfully please try again, can anyone hek me, as I rang installs and faults and customer service, but nobody knows anything and all reps seem clueless, and don't seem trained on the V6
Ryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 01:09   #2670
OhReally

Quote:
Hi,

So, is there a way of:

Many thanks
Welcome to progress, our overlords have decreed that us minions are no longer worthy and despite building in all the hardware have decided to deliberately disable it.