Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub + WGR614v9 as wireless access point = N+G at full speed?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TS19 area, dropouts on modem.

Old 11-12-2010, 23:48   #1
Skullcap
Inactive

Services: 50MB VIP
Skullcap is an unknown quantity at this point
TS19 area, dropouts on modem.

Greetings,

I've been suffering from off and on connection issues with my 256 modem from VM, its happened since tuesday and also noticed it happens with regularity when I'm using World of Warcraft.

So far the connection has cut out atleast 5-6times each day since tuesday which all seem to somehow link when I was doing something intensive ingame. Now I'm not expert but can a game really cause your modem to completely lose connection and get stuck on flashing the ready light over and over?

Here some modem information anyway, the white cable which connects the fibre line is also connected to small metal signal booster a engineer put in a few years ago to.

Code:
Cable Modem Downstream 
Downstream Lock :  Locked 
Downstream Channel Id :  84 
Downstream Frequency :  299000000 Hz 
Downstream Modulation :  QAM256 
Downstream Symbol Rate :  6952 Ksym/sec 
Downstream Interleave Depth :  taps12Increment17 
Downstream Receive Power Level :  2.4 dBmV 
Downstream SNR :  37.5 dB 

Cable Modem Upstream 
Upstream Lock :  Locked 
Upstream Channel ID :  3 
Upstream Frequency :  45800000 Hz 
Upstream Modulation :  QPSK 
Upstream Symbol Rate :  5120 Ksym/sec 
Upstream transmit Power Level :  31.7 dBmV 
Upstream Mini-Slot Size :  4
The times which I have been effected by the cut outs:

Tuesday: 12-2am
Wednesday: 12-1pm, 4-5pm, 11-2am.
Thursday: 12-1am
Friday: 12-2am
Saturday: 5-6pm, 10-11pm.

The connection does come back online, either between 15mins or up to a hour, once I try to reconnect to World of Warcraft it will end up cutting out again, but it also has done it when I brought up IE and msn live messenger. I've never know in my 15+ years of internet gaming for game software to force a modem offline then get stuck before rebooting.

I would appreciate any help given or any suggestions to alleviate the problem.
Skullcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-12-2010, 23:41   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: TS19 area, dropouts on modem.

Power levels look OK, though your upstream is on QPSK which may not be a good thing.

As for your modem, I don't know enough about the 256 (never had one myself) but some older modems (e.g. the ancient DPX110) do have those exact kinds of problems - being forced offline and getting "stuck" until it gets unplugged or manually power cycled. Certainly isn't out of the question for software to do it - in this case any significant load (>6mbps or >20 connections) would cause it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote