Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 05-12-2016, 15:13   #1861
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

IHS Markit says Virgin Media will ship 82,000 V6 boxes in 2016 and 83,000 in 2017.
From reviewing the graph below, 2018 looks like 90,000 shipments, 2019 120,000 before dropping to 80,000 in 2020.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...stb-shipments/
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2016, 16:20   #1862
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Does this mean I lose my router? I'm looking to add a V6 to my existing setup (I have a Cisco Tivo), and would not like to have to switch back to using the Superhub as a router because I found it unreliable at best.
No need to lose your router. A router is a router but some are better than others hence why the sensible people put the VM router into modem mode and buy their own.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 16:48   #1863
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

If you are potentially entitled to a free V6 upgrade because you registered in advance, do you lose that entitlement if you ring tomorrow?
Old 05-12-2016, 17:03   #1864
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
If you are potentially entitled to a free V6 upgrade because you registered in advance, do you lose that entitlement if you ring tomorrow?
You only registered to "find out more", that doesn't entitle you to anything.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 17:18   #1865
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

i have registered a few tiems but still waiting for the phone to ring hopefully before Xmas ?
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 17:48   #1866
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
All V6 boxes must be connected to your hub for them to work, so you get streaming between them automatically.

Thanks, spiderplant, so no need for additional cabling, then.

However, I am worried about the location of the superhub. Mine is connected to a computer in my spare room. Quite apart from that, I wouldn't want a flashing superhub in my bedroom!

The only suitable location would be behind my tv in the lounge, but then how do I operate my computer?

I sincerely hope the technician who attends will have the answers to these problems!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 17:50   #1867
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
You only registered to "find out more", that doesn't entitle you to anything.
True it doesn't, however it was VM who started phoning people who registered offering a free box, and of course if they phoned some then why didn't they phone all? isn't that a form of discrimination in the sense that they seem to deem some customers worthy of a free box while making others pay £49 each for them?

Especially when you consider that some customers pay in excess of £100 a month to VM.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 18:02   #1868
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
True it doesn't, however it was VM who started phoning people who registered offering a free box, and of course if they phoned some then why didn't they phone all? isn't that a form of discrimination in the sense that they seem to deem some customers worthy of a free box while making others pay £49 each for them?

Especially when you consider that some customers pay in excess of £100 a month to VM.
I cannot imagine anyone actually paying, unless like last time, they get it refunded before long, whilst they are phoning people up giving it away for free. Many of us have been promised by retentions that anyone wanting one will get it for free. VM staff seem to be saying not to worry if they could not register an interest as there will be another announcement for all customers soon. Especially when it is still just the same old Tivo software. Does anyone need an extra 3 tuners that desperately?? Personally, I'm keeping the old one until contract is up. No point losing recordings now as well as loosing scart multi-room or having extra holes drilled in walls etc.
Old 05-12-2016, 18:18   #1869
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
I cannot imagine anyone actually paying, unless like last time, they get it refunded before long, whilst they are phoning people up giving it away for free. Many of us have been promised by retentions that anyone wanting one will get it for free. VM staff seem to be saying not to worry if they could not register an interest as there will be another announcement for all customers soon. Especially when it is still just the same old Tivo software. Does anyone need an extra 3 tuners that desperately?? Personally, I'm keeping the old one until contract is up. No point losing recordings now as well as loosing scart multi-room or having extra holes drilled in walls etc.
I hope so lol

I don't mind paying for 2x of them, and would probably pay for 3x if I had to, but seeming they are handing at least some out... seeming how much VM charge each month and over the course of a year it would be nice of them to meet me in the middle and cover cost of 1 box even if I had to pay for other 2.

I only want them because ive had reliability issues with the refurbished TiVo box I was given.. it keeps breaking, gets replaced then VM start going down route of blaming it on me because its failing in short space of time.

So I just want rid of it.
Old 05-12-2016, 18:31   #1870
MisterQ

Quote:
I hope so lol

I don't mind paying for 2x of them, and would probably pay for 3x if I had to, but seeming they are handing at least some out... seeming how much VM charge each month and over the course of a year it would be nice of them to meet me in the middle and cover cost of 1 box even if I had to pay for other 2.

I only want them because ive had reliability issues with the refurbished TiVo box I was given.. it keeps breaking, gets replaced then VM start going down route of blaming it on me because its failing in short space of time.

So I just want rid of it
I've been down that route but it is due to local network issues/congestion. They just replace the boxes as it is easier that fixing the problem. Has anyone confirmed if V6 is any more/less forgiving on signal levels and other network issues? I remember in the past having signals fixed during the day and it would fail during the evening and getting them fixed in the evening and it fail during the day.
Old 05-12-2016, 21:27   #1871
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Where did people register an interest in the V6? I can't see anything on the site!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 21:39   #1872
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
my whole house is cat 6 wired and every room has a tv, radio, network, and telephone connection plate.

Will they still need to move my hub 3 as I would prefer it stayed under the stairs.

Current TiVo box already has a network connection.
I wonder if those who need to have their router moved will be expected to pay for this??

Quote:

Many businesses discriminate between different customers. It's legal as long as its not based upon unlawful discrimination eg sex, sexuality, race, disability etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Where did people register an interest in the V6? I can't see anything on the site!
https://keepup.virginmedia.com/befir...16:288871583:0
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 21:59   #1873
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I wonder if those who need to have their router moved will be expected to pay for this??
Considering it'll only need a splitter and a length of coax cable to get the V6 and Broadband kit to be located next to each other, then I would expect it's covered by any appropriate fees charged.
Old 05-12-2016, 22:14   #1874
RB2004
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
I've been down that route but it is due to local network issues/congestion. They just replace the boxes as it is easier that fixing the problem. Has anyone confirmed if V6 is any more/less forgiving on signal levels and other network issues? I remember in the past having signals fixed during the day and it would fail during the evening and getting them fixed in the evening and it fail during the day.
Nope not due to network issues.

i have 3 boxes.

1 originally failed a while back, which was fair enough... Equipment can and does fail. Didn't want them coming into bedroom so I moved it downstairs and they replaced it there.
It then lasted about 18 months and died about this time last year.
They replaced it, then 4 months later hard drive died in it.

They then wouldn't send me a self install replacement because they implied there was something suspicious about it failing so quickly.

So they sent an engineer, he replaced it and found nothing suspicious of wrong with my install and after a few weeks hard drive started clicking and still clicks but I can't be bothered with the you broke it arguments again so I've left it as is and just waiting for it to die again.

However the original 2 boxes I received have been fault free since I got them shortly after launch.

It's nothing I'm doing as it stays on a shelf, doesn't move... Well ventilated etc and the new units have lasted well.

Regarding signal levels that was another saga I had, I found engineers I was sent were good at lying to my face about fixing signal issue. In the end I fabricated 2 faults in a month and they sent a senior tech who said yes there was a problem and got networks down same day and fixed it.

Prior to that I had excuses ranging from, signal levels fine, corrosion, moved onto a higher tap... That was a good one which repeatedly got used, until one day a tech showed me inside the pit where there was only 1 line tap. Also no corrosion it was completely clean, problem was the line tap was wrong one and too high value, network guy swapped it for a lower one and my signal levels increased 4dBmV instantly.

Then I sourced and fitted my own tratec HDU and enjoyed perfect signal levels ever since managed by myself. When signal levels go up I add an attenuator then when they drop I remove it again

Amazing how much they fluctuate, my signal levels were high and I had a 6dB attenuator on it... Then they added an extra upstream channel and signal levels dropped to negative 6-7, took attenuator off again and it's back at 0-1.
Old 05-12-2016, 23:31   #1875
Andy C
cf.addict

Services: V6 Virgin 360, Volt Gig1 BB,
Andy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really nice

I have a 4 port switch connected to the 1200mbps powerline adaptor behind the TV, hopefully, that will be good enough to plug the TiVo into? I know the powerline is actually slower than my WiFi tho...
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote