Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 07-12-2011, 17:28   #1
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Exclamation Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

MOD EDIT: To help those in this large thread looking for just details of the upgrade speeds here are the detail:

Quote:
VM's speed upgrades will be as follows:

Broadband Size S: 2Mb will be upgraded to 5Mb
Broadband Size M: 10Mb will be upgraded to 20Mb
Broadband Size L: 10Mb will be upgraded to 20Mb
Broadband Size XL: 20Mb and 30mb will be upgraded to 60Mb
Broadband Size XXL and 100mb: 50Mb will merge with 100mb. 100mb users will get a price reduction to match 50mb. Both will be upgraded to 120mb.

Upstream speeds and traffic management fair usage amounts will be increased in proportion to the increase in downstream speed. All upstream speeds will remain/become 10th of download speed.

To check the timetable please enter your postcode at here

======================original post=======================================
I just got a email from virgin claiming my speed will be double for free but im on 50mb so im getting 100mb? i suspect this is adoggy email jsut wondered anyone knows if it true
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2011, 17:35   #2
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Speed doubling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
I just got a email from virgin claiming my speed will be double for free but im on 50mb so im getting 100mb? i suspect this is adoggy email jsut wondered anyone knows if it true
Why not remove the identifying features and show us the email ?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 17:39   #3
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Great news. You're among a few thousand of our customers we've handpicked to double your broadband speed. And best of all, it won't cost you a penny more. It's a nice extra we're doing to say thanks for being with us. We call these nice extras Virgin Media tickles, and we only give them to people we know and like - our customers. They're things to make you smile.

Do all the things you love online, twice as fast

Virgin Media already offers the fastest broadband in the UK. And our commitment to leading the way in broadband download speeds has been proven by Ofcom for three years in a row. But just imagine doing all the things you love doing online twice as fast - like sharing photos or downloading the latest blockbusters and tunes. And, you could say bye-bye to buffering too with super streaming of HD movies.

Your upgrade kicks off in 2012

Your upgrade will take place next year, and will happen by area. But you don’t need to do a thing, we’ll keep you updated and will be in touch when your upgrade is ready. In the meantime, get an idea of when your broadband speed will be doubled.

Connect a friend

Help

My Virgin Media

This email has been sent to the following address: by Virgin Media

Don't miss out on our news and offers! Just add theteam@mailing.virginmedia.com to your address book

For more information about us, or to view our privacy policy, please visit the links below:

Privacy - About Us

Remember, Virgin Media will never ask you for personal information via email

You can unsubscribe from receiving future emails from Virgin Media by clicking here

Fastest broadband download speeds widely available to consumers according to 2011 Ofcom report. EML20955
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 17:42   #4
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
Great news. You're among a few thousand of our customers we've handpicked to double your broadband speed. And best of all, it won't cost you a penny more. It's a nice extra we're doing to say thanks for being with us. We call these nice extras Virgin Media tickles, and we only give them to people we know and like - our customers. They're things to make you smile.

Do all the things you love online, twice as fast

Virgin Media already offers the fastest broadband in the UK. And our commitment to leading the way in broadband download speeds has been proven by Ofcom for three years in a row. But just imagine doing all the things you love doing online twice as fast - like sharing photos or downloading the latest blockbusters and tunes. And, you could say bye-bye to buffering too with super streaming of HD movies.

Your upgrade kicks off in 2012

Your upgrade will take place next year, and will happen by area. But you don’t need to do a thing, we’ll keep you updated and will be in touch when your upgrade is ready. In the meantime, get an idea of when your broadband speed will be doubled.

Connect a friend

Help

My Virgin Media

This email has been sent to the following address: by Virgin Media

Don't miss out on our news and offers! Just add theteam@mailing.virginmedia.com to your address book

For more information about us, or to view our privacy policy, please visit the links below:

Privacy - About Us

Remember, Virgin Media will never ask you for personal information via email

You can unsubscribe from receiving future emails from Virgin Media by clicking here

Fastest broadband download speeds widely available to consumers according to 2011 Ofcom report. EML20955
Looks genuine to me, Has not asked for any info and says its next year. If its true it means i get 200 meg

Old 07-12-2011, 17:47   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Only those that get the e-mail get an increase
Old 07-12-2011, 17:48   #6
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I did not expect it anyway as i am staff we always get things last

Old 07-12-2011, 17:51   #7
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Looks genuine to me, Has not asked for any info and says its next year. If its true it means i get 200 meg
Maybe one of the VM staff on here van verify if the e-mail address shown is genuine??
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 17:52   #8
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Are you sure?
Old 07-12-2011, 17:55   #9
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Are you sure?
Yup

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Maybe one of the VM staff on here van verify if the e-mail address shown is genuine??
It's genuine
Old 07-12-2011, 17:57   #10
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
So that means that all of us who are already maxed out bet bugger all (except for the sachet of drinking chocolate I received from VM today).

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Quote:
It's genuine
That's good to hear.
Old 07-12-2011, 17:59   #11
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
What about the customers who pay the biggest bills to VM surely these are the ones that should get it.
Old 07-12-2011, 18:02   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
What about the customers who pay the biggest bills to VM surely these are the ones that should get it.
I have no idea about the criteria VM are using for this, but why should it just be cost criteria?

Normally it's 'new customers get better deals than existing customers' and 'I've been with ntl for 20 years and don't get anything' so I would hope that VM are looking to reward customers on more than just who can afford to pay the most

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Also weren't people complaning the other day that the Tickles were just PR uselessness?
Old 07-12-2011, 18:03   #13
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You will probably get the sachet of drinking chocolate like I did.
Old 07-12-2011, 18:04   #14
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I have no idea about the criteria VM are using for this, but why should it just be cost criteria?

Normally it's 'new customers get better deals than existing customers' and 'I've been with ntl for 20 years and don't get anything' so I would hope that VM are looking to reward customers on more than just who can afford to pay the most

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Also weren't people complaning the other day that the Tickles were just PR uselessness?
So really at the end of the day it is just based on a random selection process.
Old 07-12-2011, 18:04   #15
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
So really at the end of the day it is just based on a random selection process.
As I said, haven't a clue, but to be honest no matter what criteria they use, it's always going to be 'unfair' and 'rubbish' to those who don't get the one they want