Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Old 03-02-2011, 20:24   #1
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold
Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

The idea of a Virgin Media TiVo iPad app sounds great:
http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...service-912206

Couple of questions:
1) to the VM staff trialling VM TiVo, did you get to trial an iPad app too?
2) how come the standard TiVo iPad app isn't available in the UK, even though the UK has had TiVo for years?
http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/product-f...pad/index.html

Thanks

Boz
DaBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2011, 20:39   #2
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Its not specifically a VM iPad app for TiVO, but TiVOs own app, which will be made available to VM TiVO Customers.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:15   #3
SuperHighway
Inactive

SuperHighway is an unknown quantity at this point

I want.......................
SuperHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:21   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Who wouldn't want a £600 remote control........
Old 04-02-2011, 12:30   #5
haydnwalker
Inactive

haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

I kind of thought the same thing....though it would be more useful if VM provided a web-based option to record/view EPG for people
Old 04-02-2011, 12:32   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
I kind of thought the same thing....though it would be more useful if VM provided a web-based option to record/view EPG for people
They do http://tv.virginmedia.com
Old 04-02-2011, 12:32   #7
SuperHighway
Inactive

SuperHighway is an unknown quantity at this point

but if you already have an iPad it's at zero additional cost - wouldn't go and buy one just for the app.
SuperHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:53   #8
haydnwalker
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I didn't know about that Thanks Ben
Old 04-02-2011, 13:04   #9
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHighway View Post
but if you already have an iPad it's at zero additional cost - wouldn't go and buy one just for the app.
Must admit mate I have an iPad and would love that app , my main problem is the lack of a TIVO LOL
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 14:18   #10
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Who wouldn't want a £600 remote control........
I assume you're making a funny comment.
Some people at the TiVo community forum have downloaded the US iPad app from the US app store. Not sure anyone's actually tried it with VM TiVo yet.

Boz
Old 04-02-2011, 15:38   #11
uksurfing
Inactive

uksurfing is an unknown quantity at this point

TOP TIP: To create a US itunes account: boot up itunes on the computer you use to sync device (ipad?). registrar on the US itunes store .. when it asks you for a payment type click none or no credit card. It will ask for a zip code. 90210? or 10036 midtown Manhattan maybe less obvious.
uksurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 21:15   #12
DaBoz
Inactive

Question Re: Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

So will the VM TiVo app allow us to watch VM content on the iPad too?

I know we miss out on the Virgin Player on idevices because of flash/DRM/license issues, bit the US don't have this problem. They have things like Slingbox which will allow them to watch anything on the DVR.

It seems odd that those sorts of Apple vs DRM issues don't seem to hold the yanks back like it does with us.

Any thoughts? Or have i misunderstood this issue?

Boz
Old 18-02-2011, 22:07   #13
pauldavies83
Inactive

pauldavies83 is on a distinguished roadpauldavies83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
So will the VM TiVo app allow us to watch VM content on the iPad too?
The standard TiVo iPad app doesn't provide watching - its merely a way of controlling your box and it's schedule

Quote:
I know we miss out on the Virgin Player on idevices because of flash/DRM/license issues,
Virgin Player mobile works on the iPhone - just not on WiFi (only on 3G - I assume its a rights issue).

Quote:
It seems odd that those sorts of Apple vs DRM issues don't seem to hold the yanks back like it does with us.

Any thoughts? Or have i misunderstood this issue?

Boz
I don't think it's anything to do with Apple - their hardware doesn't play Flash - it's up to the content provider to find a way around that. The BBC and Sky seem to manage just fine.
pauldavies83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 22:18   #14
graeme2b
Inactive

Services: V+HD, 50MB, Unlimited Phone, Sky+HD 1Tb, Apple iPhone 4, Apple Macbook. TiVo.
graeme2b is on a distinguished roadgraeme2b is on a distinguished road

Anybody else wondering how this is going to work? I have TiVo and the US version of the app obviously they dont work.. yet! But the US version obviously looks for the box locally, using ethernet connection to a router. Virgins wont be wireless I assume (unless its some massive secret easter egg for us later?) which would mean that it would then have to connect via the internet meaning possible lag when changing channels etc....

your thoughts please...
graeme2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 22:44   #15
DaBoz
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavies83 View Post
The standard TiVo iPad app doesn't provide watching - its merely a way of controlling your box and it's schedule

Virgin Player mobile works on the iPhone - just not on WiFi (only on 3G - I assume its a rights issue).

I don't think it's anything to do with Apple - their hardware doesn't play Flash - it's up to the content provider to find a way around that. The BBC and Sky seem to manage just fine.
Didn't know about the 3G thing. That makes no sense at all!

Hmm, whenever I've brought this up before, I get anti apple people banging on about how Apple are anti DRM (flash isnt the obstacle, as BBC and others do fine). Ah well, i wish someone would sort it out, as the US have a fantastic service in this arena.

Boz