Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VIP now with Vivid 300

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VIP now with Vivid 300

Old 08-09-2017, 13:44   #76
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age
Re: VIP now with Vivid 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Not necessarily on your street. Think of your connection and where it goes - you have a coaxial cable coming from your house to the green box somewhere on your street, all your neighbours connect to that same green box. That green box will have it's own connection to a hub where other green boxes connect to. Depending on where you are, there might be an even bigger hub those hubs connect to and so on and so forth until you hit a backbone/link site that Virgin connects to the rest of the internet with.

If anywhere along those connections doesn't have the capacity to deal with everyone having faster speeds, it will need upgrading. So it might be that the green box on your street needs upgrading, or it might be the hub that green box connects to, or it might be somewhere further up the line.

Furthermore, the point isn't that you get full speed now, so what's the issue? The issue is if they open the floodgates and give everyone faster speeds, you won't get full speed, you'll get congestion. When enough people use enough bandwidth on your local node, they sometimes have to split it - akin to taking half the people connected to a green box and putting them on a new green box (or a new hub further up the line, etc.). Sometimes you'll even lose downstream channels as a result of this, but overall capacity is boosted all the same.

Virgin used to not care about this - they'd double everyone's speed and as a result, nobody would get that speed, everyone would just get congestion and it would get worse and worse. Never mind going from 200 to 350, your connection would drop to sub-10mbit if you were lucky. It made your connection almost unusable. Congestion is a bit like a dam busting, if you don't hit the capacity it's all gravy but as soon as you do then buffers start to bloat, packets start to drop and the whole thing falls apart.

You'd then have to wait months (or worse) for them to upgrade the area because it was all reactive and not proactive - and with everyone jumping the gun and getting mad speed boosts at once, it just crippled the network in huge areas for a long time.

As frustrating as it is waiting for the speed upgrades, it's by far the better option. It's better you get full-speed at 200Mbit now and have to wait 6 months to get boosted than to get "350Mbit" in name only but actually suffer serious congestion for 6 months.
That makes a lot of sense but it is very annoying VM offer 300Mb as standard on the VIP package yet can't deliver it to certain places. In my eyes, it shouldn't be standard until all areas can receive it.

To add to that how the heck is a paying customer supposed to know when they can upgrade to something they are paying for and how long this 'issue' will continue. It's not a very fair system in my view.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2017, 22:02   #77
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
That makes a lot of sense but it is very annoying VM offer 300Mb as standard on the VIP package yet can't deliver it to certain places. In my eyes, it shouldn't be standard until all areas can receive it.

To add to that how the heck is a paying customer supposed to know when they can upgrade to something they are paying for and how long this 'issue' will continue. It's not a very fair system in my view.
I agree it's less than ideal, but the alternative would be Virgin lagging behind the competition because they'd literally have to upgrade the entire network before offering faster services.

It's no different to the DSL providers either, huge swathes of the country still can't get fibre broadband at all yet they'll all advertise it.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 14:53   #78
Mythica
cf.geek

Still not getting any answers from VM. All I really want is a date that the work needed for my street/area is planned. I find it annoying that they can offer a speed as standard but some areas can't get it and have no clue as to when it could be available.
Old 22-09-2017, 20:25   #79
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Dude you are going to make your head explode. Give up! I can tell you now that any dates you pressure VM into giving you (and they will eventually make something up just to shut you up) aren't going to be stuck to. I have seen many other areas which have suffered serious congestion issues in the past and customers were given genuine fix times (between 3-6 months time) and the dates came and gone and when the users rang up again to say there was no improvement it is because the dates got pushed back again. Even if you do get a date out of them, I can guarantee they won't stick to it.

They will do it when they do it and it will be a nice surprise for you.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 21:14   #80
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Dude you are going to make your head explode. Give up! I can tell you now that any dates you pressure VM into giving you (and they will eventually make something up just to shut you up) aren't going to be stuck to. I have seen many other areas which have suffered serious congestion issues in the past and customers were given genuine fix times (between 3-6 months time) and the dates came and gone and when the users rang up again to say there was no improvement it is because the dates got pushed back again. Even if you do get a date out of them, I can guarantee they won't stick to it.

They will do it when they do it and it will be a nice surprise for you.
I do actually understand this but I will put as much pressure on them as I can. A date is a date which is more than I have now. I just dislike everything that is happening with this at the minute. It should be a straightforward answer and it's just turned into an argument or being ignored.
Old 22-09-2017, 21:22   #81
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I do actually understand this but I will put as much pressure on them as I can. A date is a date which is more than I have now. I just dislike everything that is happening with this at the minute. It should be a straightforward answer and it's just turned into an argument or being ignored.
Not quite as straightforward as you think. The fact the max you can get in your area is 200mb says to me you're running on an older CMTS. There are a lot of CMTS upgrades going on across the country. As an example in the area I work there are approx 8 headend/hubsites. To give an example of a couple, one of them was about a weeks work. New CMTS installed in spare rack space, old equipment cut over to new CMTS. Another site took not far off a year, multiple CMTS's, not enough room to house them so a complete headend rebuild. Various issues encountered on the way. I can't say for certain but I would imagine major issues at one site could have knock on effects for others. Obviously I know nothing about the area you are fed from, so I couldn't comment, but all I can say is it's not always a case of chuck a CMTS in job done unfortunately
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 21:50   #82
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
Not quite as straightforward as you think. The fact the max you can get in your area is 200mb says to me you're running on an older CMTS. There are a lot of CMTS upgrades going on across the country. As an example in the area I work there are approx 8 headend/hubsites. To give an example of a couple, one of them was about a weeks work. New CMTS installed in spare rack space, old equipment cut over to new CMTS. Another site took not far off a year, multiple CMTS's, not enough room to house them so a complete headend rebuild. Various issues encountered on the way. I can't say for certain but I would imagine major issues at one site could have knock on effects for others. Obviously I know nothing about the area you are fed from, so I couldn't comment, but all I can say is it's not always a case of chuck a CMTS in job done unfortunately
I'm in the Teesside area 30, postcode TS17 area. I'm on 24 downstream channels, 200Mb+ at peak times over WiFi and 350Mb is available round the corner. I understand it can be a complex issue but surely there must be some sort of time frame even if it goes past that time. At the moment I don't have a clue what's happening if anything and if I'll still be sat here in a year's time none the wiser. The bit that has annoyed me is they've made it standard on the VIP package which is what I'm on yet I can't get.
Old 30-09-2017, 20:03   #83
Tonydtiger
Inactive

Services: XL TV, Tivo, 152Mb, Phone
Tonydtiger is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys.

I signed upto Vip a couple of weeks ago and because 300 isn't available in my area, it's put me down to 200.

Is there anyway I could at least get the 20Mb upload or am I stuck on 12Mb?? Can't they just push through the 300Mb config file so I could at least get the 20Mb upload speed?
Tonydtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 23:29   #84
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonydtiger View Post
because 300 isn't available in my area
which means the highest you can get is 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonydtiger View Post
it's put me down to 200
so the inference is that you was on something higher than 200 and the only tier higher than that is 300 which you have just said isn't available in your area
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:35   #85
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'll pick up on this some more later but there have been some more extreme actions to get rid of older CMTS, and there are a number of areas that have other issues preventing release of >200. Now even having CCAP in place isn't enough, they want more than 16 channels available for quality reasons.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:15   #86
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I'll pick up on this some more later but there have been some more extreme actions to get rid of older CMTS, and there are a number of areas that have other issues preventing release of >200. Now even having CCAP in place isn't enough, they want more than 16 channels available for quality reasons.
Will these CMTS upgrades allow VM to change the down/up ratio in favour of better uploads? Most people can never max out their download speed and would trade this off for faster upload?
Old 01-10-2017, 11:39   #87
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Will these CMTS upgrades allow VM to change the down/up ratio in favour of better uploads? Most people can never max out their download speed and would trade this off for faster upload?
Not instantly. But it lays the foundations. Other than stuff they've already got planned. So basically you're not gonna see a massive jump instantly. It's the just the CMTS's. It's the equipment in the field as well, bearing in mind VM is made up of many old cable companies. Each network built to different specs etc.
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:34   #88
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
This is one of those rare things I can't discuss in too much detail in public, beyond to say no. The older Motorola and Cisco kit was perfectly capable of bonding 4 upstreams.

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 ----------

Quote:
Not instantly. But it lays the foundations. Other than stuff they've already got planned. So basically you're not gonna see a massive jump instantly. It's the just the CMTS's. It's the equipment in the field as well, bearing in mind VM is made up of many old cable companies. Each network built to different specs etc.
You've a PM
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote