Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VIP now with Vivid 300

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VIP now with Vivid 300

Old 28-08-2017, 19:39   #61
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads
Re: VIP now with Vivid 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
You will be on the Mapperly UBRs, I'm on Basford.
Hey Paul,

I did a webchat and I've ordered my superhub 3 with 300mps which will be delivered on Thursday. When I asked if I have to ring back when 350 becomes available in my area (Arnold/Redhill) they said yes.

Funny thing is,Ive just looked on my package on My Virgin Media and it says Vivid 350. Looks like I will get it straight away when Ive installed my Superhub 3 on Thursday evening.
Old 28-08-2017, 19:42   #62
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yes you will, same thing happened to me last week. The new config will come down when you activate the shub and you will be provisioned for 400/22.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 08:58   #63
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Lovely jubbly,many thanks for that GM
Old 01-09-2017, 23:48   #64
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Well,that self install went quite well. Had my account and area numbers ready as it said in the instructions but they were not needed when I rang the automated line to activate. I was suprised to see the leaflet that said I don't have to return the SB 2 but Ive not looked up the website which suggests the disposal of it yet.
All that remains is to do a few tweaks as suggested towards the end of this video https://youtu.be/aB_ZSwdeFwM
Old 01-09-2017, 23:59   #65
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

The best tweak you can do is put it in modem mode and use a proper. I say that (for many reasons) because the one tweak everyone should do which would be of imeasurable benefit to you is chsnging the dns server but you cant do it on the shub.
Old 06-09-2017, 18:47   #66
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Not getting any help from VM so I'll post in here again.

I'm on the VIP package but only 200Mb. The postcode checker states 200Mb is only available but the question is, is there anyway to find out why 300Mb isn't available. I'm on 24 downstream channels and the street around the corner can get 300Mb. We don't have any high utilisation and I can achieve speeds of 200Mb wireless at peak times. Why wouldn't 300Mb be available?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 19:28   #67
General Maximus
Ran Away

We know what VM are like so there is no way this is going to be true but the only reason I can think of is that there is a standard/rule in place that if your street or area is X% then there isn't sufficient capacity to available to provide higher speeds. You might be on 24 channels but that is the max which is you can physically get atm and it might not be enough for the over subscription in your area.
Old 06-09-2017, 19:49   #68
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
We know what VM are like so there is no way this is going to be true but the only reason I can think of is that there is a standard/rule in place that if your street or area is X% then there isn't sufficient capacity to available to provide higher speeds. You might be on 24 channels but that is the max which is you can physically get atm and it might not be enough for the over subscription in your area.
I think it's about time they were made to tell the truth and not just VM but other companies too.

They should never make the speed standard on a bundle if it isn't available in all areas and to top it off, you then have people getting 350Mb. Yet I can't get an answer as to why I can't upgrade to a speed that is now standard from VM staff
Old 06-09-2017, 20:26   #69
General Maximus
Ran Away

you should ring retentions and see what they say. Although I still think it is down to what is available in your area, if they are advertising 300 as the standard speed for your package then you should have it. 350mbits is definitely an upgrade which is in the progress of being rolled out for vivid300 and I wouldn't expect that to be available on vip any time soon because they have only just changed it to 300. Even when I rang up for 300 a couple of weeks ago and specifically asked for vivid350 I was told it wasn't available yet and I would only get 300 but when I checked my account it said vivd350 and that is what I have got.

Your packages and tiers are managed by codes and I imagine there will be a code on everyone's account which has changed them from vip200 to vip300. You might have been missed out for whatever reason, especially if you have had discounts in the past.
Old 06-09-2017, 20:46   #70
Mythica
cf.geek

I've been on webchat and the forums and both say 300Mb isn't available in the area yet which is in line with the postcode checker. It's the lack of information which annoys me. The street round the corner says it is available yet with everything I've posted about 24 downstreams, no high utilisation, 200Mb speeds at peak times over WiFi yet I can't get an answer from them why the 300Mb upgrade isn't there.
Old 06-09-2017, 20:58   #71
General Maximus
Ran Away

ah well that is a completely different story then. You haven't been left out and somebody hasn't made a mistake, it just isn't available yet. I know it is frustrating but I have had it for years. Whenever they announce (or used to) a rollout schedule for a speed doubling programme I was always in the middle of it and had to wait a year and you will find messages on this forum with me whining "my area is fantastic for congestion so why can't I have it now?".
Old 06-09-2017, 21:10   #72
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
ah well that is a completely different story then. You haven't been left out and somebody hasn't made a mistake, it just isn't available yet. I know it is frustrating but I have had it for years. Whenever they announce (or used to) a rollout schedule for a speed doubling programme I was always in the middle of it and had to wait a year and you will find messages on this forum with me whining "my area is fantastic for congestion so why can't I have it now?".
Don't get me started on that. I was on 152Mb waiting for the 200Mb update that kept getting pushed back every month. The only reason I got it before the rollout in the area was because I upgraded from the old style VIP package to the new one when the V6 came out. I'm not sure when it eventually went live in the area but it was annoying knowing new customers in the area were getting better deals money wise and were able to get 200Mb yet I couldn't get it because the area wasn't ready. They actually said I could pay to upgrade, but couldn't have it as the free upgrade.

I don't know much about the way it works but like I keep saying, street around the corner can get 300Mb through the post code checker, I'm on 24 ds channels and have no congestion and can achieve speeds of 200Mb wireless at peak times, it's so frustrating that I can't get what comes as standard in the package.
Old 07-09-2017, 17:44   #73
Mythica
cf.geek

Finally got a reply from VM to my post.

"Even though the network may be good now, when we look at upgrading our customers we need to calculate as if every customer in the area was to upgrade.

I'm sorry that it's not available for you just yet. As per Nat, once it is available, we will let you know."

What does this actually mean? More work is needed in my street? What work would that involve if on 24 ds channels and can already achieve full speeds.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:07   #74
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
What does this actually mean? More work is needed in my street? What work would that involve if on 24 ds channels and can already achieve full speeds.
Not necessarily on your street. Think of your connection and where it goes - you have a coaxial cable coming from your house to the green box somewhere on your street, all your neighbours connect to that same green box. That green box will have it's own connection to a hub where other green boxes connect to. Depending on where you are, there might be an even bigger hub those hubs connect to and so on and so forth until you hit a backbone/link site that Virgin connects to the rest of the internet with.

If anywhere along those connections doesn't have the capacity to deal with everyone having faster speeds, it will need upgrading. So it might be that the green box on your street needs upgrading, or it might be the hub that green box connects to, or it might be somewhere further up the line.

Furthermore, the point isn't that you get full speed now, so what's the issue? The issue is if they open the floodgates and give everyone faster speeds, you won't get full speed, you'll get congestion. When enough people use enough bandwidth on your local node, they sometimes have to split it - akin to taking half the people connected to a green box and putting them on a new green box (or a new hub further up the line, etc.). Sometimes you'll even lose downstream channels as a result of this, but overall capacity is boosted all the same.

Virgin used to not care about this - they'd double everyone's speed and as a result, nobody would get that speed, everyone would just get congestion and it would get worse and worse. Never mind going from 200 to 350, your connection would drop to sub-10mbit if you were lucky. It made your connection almost unusable. Congestion is a bit like a dam busting, if you don't hit the capacity it's all gravy but as soon as you do then buffers start to bloat, packets start to drop and the whole thing falls apart.

You'd then have to wait months (or worse) for them to upgrade the area because it was all reactive and not proactive - and with everyone jumping the gun and getting mad speed boosts at once, it just crippled the network in huge areas for a long time.

As frustrating as it is waiting for the speed upgrades, it's by far the better option. It's better you get full-speed at 200Mbit now and have to wait 6 months to get boosted than to get "350Mbit" in name only but actually suffer serious congestion for 6 months.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:51   #75
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Still provisioned at 345000000 here. Getting 331Mb on Homeworks 300. Up speed 21Mb on 20Mb headline speed. I'm in a non-contended area so I get these speeds 24/7.

I assume that when they upgrade Vivid 300 to 350Mb in my area, then Homeworks will be done at the same time.

EDIT.............................................. ....................

Just spoke to webchat. They said that those on 350MB are there on a trial basis only.

Last edited by roughbeast; 08-09-2017 at 14:24.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote