Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | June 8th General Election

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

June 8th General Election
View Poll Results: Who would you vote for on 8th June?
Conservatives 47 48.96%
Labour 24 25.00%
Liberal Democrats 9 9.38%
UKIP 4 4.17%
Greens 2 2.08%
Other 5 5.21%
None, I will Abstain. 5 5.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 09:43   #466
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: June 8th General Election

The worrying thing of course is that this is what the Tory partY manifesto will be in 2022 :O

Last edited by Damien; 11-05-2017 at 09:47.
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2017, 09:45   #467
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
why so negative on the plus side we only worked 3 days a week and only had to sit in the dark some of the time .
Yep, dead piled up in the streets and rubbish un-buried, or maybe it was the other way round.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:27   #468
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Other countries manage to have decent nationalised rail, some of them even own some of our franchises as well, and we also had to nationalise the track part after Railtrack after it collapsed and after there was a series of safety disasters. Even America has a nationalised rail network.

I don't think we should nationalise most things but rail is a natural monopoly. There any only be one provider for a given route so the intended benefits of privatisation, i.e competition, doesn't really work. The companies given franchises and there is little incentive for long term investment and they rarely get badly punished for poor performance.

To me it seems almost a religious obsession with either nationalisation or privatisation. People pick a side and then think everything should be one or the other. Privatisation his good because is good and more efficient no matter what it's applied too.
Yes they do, but in my experience they were rubbish and there's nothing in Labour's history to suggest they'd do it any differently this time around hence my opinion.

---------- Post added at 09:27 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I'm talking about essential national services only. We live in uncertain times. Our essential infrastructure should not dependant on the ownership by foreign countries.

This is nothing to do with any form of political philosophy,
No, I didn't think you'd suddenly gone insane.

Aside from Nuclear Power stations, which we apparently no longer have the expertise to build it seems, I don't see how the ultimate ownership of the railways or postal service, say, is a particular threat. It's not like the foreign owners can suddenly decide to shut them down and prevent them working so what's the big threat to the UK?
Old 11-05-2017, 10:35   #469
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I don't see how the ultimate ownership of the railways or postal service, say, is a particular threat. It's not like the foreign owners can suddenly decide to shut them down and prevent them working so what's the big threat to the UK?
If any shananigans like that were to take place we'd deploy troops to force the companies to stay operating in the national interest.

Anyway it's not like nationalised industries don't suffer damaging strikes, remember BL were on strike more than they were making cars in the bad old seventies and British Steel was loosing £3m of tax payers money a DAY.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:39   #470
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Yes they do, but in my experience they were rubbish and there's nothing in Labour's history to suggest they'd do it any differently this time around hence my opinion.
The French and German rail networks are pretty good. Why can't Britain do it? I think half of the reason is the government wants to abdicate responsibility for it so no one gets blamed when something like Southern Rail happens. Major investment still has to be done by the government anyway, it's not like telecoms where privatisation led to proper competition and infrastructure development as a result.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:57   #471
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The French and German rail networks are pretty good. Why can't Britain do it? I think half of the reason is the government wants to abdicate responsibility for it so no one gets blamed when something like Southern Rail happens. Major investment still has to be done by the government anyway, it's not like telecoms where privatisation led to proper competition and infrastructure development as a result.
Because nobody really wants their taxes to rise in order to pay for the decades of under-investment which happened when they were publicly owned? In theory yes it ought to be the best way but as I said before, history in the UK indicates it wasn't. Yes that could probably be changed with an entirely different govt. approach but all the evidence is that Corbyn's rooted in 1970's ideology and not going to emulate all that's best about state ownership of infrastructure in Europe. He'd only ensure we returned to the bad old days when the unions controlled this critical infrastructure and frequently closed it down, which is in large part what led to privatisation in the first place.

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
If any shananigans like that were to take place we'd deploy troops to force the companies to stay operating in the national interest.

Anyway it's not like nationalised industries don't suffer damaging strikes, remember BL were on strike more than they were making cars in the bad old seventies and British Steel was loosing £3m of tax payers money a DAY.
Well ultimately that'd be the response yes. I do have concerns about possible foreign interference with the likes of nuclear power stations but cyber attacks don't require ownership even if the technology being supplied could presumably have 'backdoors' which could be exploited by a disgruntled foreign power.

Last edited by Osem; 11-05-2017 at 12:53.
Old 11-05-2017, 13:51   #472
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

No, I didn't think you'd suddenly gone insane.

Aside from Nuclear Power stations, which we apparently no longer have the expertise to build it seems, I don't see how the ultimate ownership of the railways or postal service, say, is a particular threat. It's not like the foreign owners can suddenly decide to shut them down and prevent them working so what's the big threat to the UK?

All essential utility services are software controlled these days. It just doesn't sit right with me that some parts of these services in the UK have foreign ownership.

Not only that, but I don't think essential services; electricity, water, transport etc. should be run for profit.

Granted, in the past, publicly owned services appear to have been run badly. But it can't be above the wit of man to run publicly owned essential services as efficiently as the privately run businesses.

Apparently, public ownership of essential public services (and only those) is a popular policy, even with 'anti-Marxist people like me
Old 11-05-2017, 14:10   #473
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:

Well ultimately that'd be the response yes. I do have concerns about possible foreign interference with the likes of nuclear power stations but cyber attacks don't require ownership even if the technology being supplied could presumably have 'backdoors' which could be exploited by a disgruntled foreign power.
You have to remember that industrial networks and control systems are rarely connected to the internet and never directly for obvious reasons and use different protocols to normal net traffic: Commonly Modbus, Fieldbus and Profibus. There are also stand-alone "policemen" on critical control systems that are not networked.

Whilst we do program in "backdoors" they're mainly for rescuing customers who have put in some weird setup and locked themselves out. They usually relay on actual physical access to the instrument.

The most famous malicious program is Stuxnet but that exploited Windows vulnerability and Siemens Programmable Logic Controlers.
Old 11-05-2017, 14:33   #474
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
All essential utility services are software controlled these days. It just doesn't sit right with me that some parts of these services in the UK have foreign ownership.

Not only that, but I don't think essential services; electricity, water, transport etc. should be run for profit.

Granted, in the past, publicly owned services appear to have been run badly. But it can't be above the wit of man to run publicly owned essential services as efficiently as the privately run businesses.

Apparently, public ownership of essential public services (and only those) is a popular policy, even with 'anti-Marxist people like me
It clearly isn't beyond the wit of man but maybe it's beyond the wit of our politicians and their dogma.

It's much easier to be positive about things when you're not being subjected to them and/or haven't experienced them. Nationalise rail and it wouldn't be too long before people started complaining about that for one reason or another. That's always the way.

Yes it ought to be possible to run things far better taking the best of what public ownership could offer with the best of what private sector involvement brings. It just never seems to happen that way sadly.
Old 11-05-2017, 15:06   #475
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
. Nationalise rail and it wouldn't be too long before people started complaining about that for one reason or another. .

Southern Rail
Old 11-05-2017, 19:31   #476
Osem
Inactive

That's one franchise.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:55   #477
Osem
Inactive

Well I must say it's good to hear that Corbyn's no longer a complete pacifist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39892281

Even in the unlikely event that it's true it's perfectly obvious that by the time he'd made up his mind to launch a military action it'd in all probability be too late.

Meanwhile in other news from Labour HQ, John McDonnell's no longer a Marxist and Momentum isn't a bunch of loony lefties..

Last edited by Osem; 12-05-2017 at 09:59.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:17   #478
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

For those who never experienced the 70's you might want to read this I experienced all this and it wasn't funny. Corbyn's policies would have us right back there.

The headline says it all:

Labour with its head buried firmly in the sand

Crisis.jpg

Last edited by heero_yuy; 12-05-2017 at 11:40. Reason: typos
Old 12-05-2017, 11:19   #479
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Because nobody really wants their taxes to rise in order to pay for the decades of under-investment which happened when they were publicly owned? In theory yes it ought to be the best way but as I said before, history in the UK indicates it wasn't. Yes that could probably be changed with an entirely different govt. approach but all the evidence is that Corbyn's rooted in 1970's ideology and not going to emulate all that's best about state ownership of infrastructure in Europe. He'd only ensure we returned to the bad old days when the unions controlled this critical infrastructure and frequently closed it down, which is in large part what led to privatisation in the first place.
The problem with rail in this country was a direct result of the second world war. Rather than performing regular maintanence the rail companies were reduced to running on a shoestring just to keep services running as best they could and repairing the callosal damage inflicted.

After the war the government had to spend money on getting German infrastructure up and running as an occuping force so no money was available to compensate the rail companies.

Nationalisation of the rail came into effect rather than the rail companies going into recievership and we having no rail services.

Comparing rail in this country, lacking in investment is like chalk and cheese if you compare it with Europe.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:44   #480
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
The problem with rail in this country was a direct result of the second world war. Rather than performing regular maintanence the rail companies were reduced to running on a shoestring just to keep services running as best they could and repairing the callosal damage inflicted.

After the war the government had to spend money on getting German infrastructure up and running as an occuping force so no money was available to compensate the rail companies.

Nationalisation of the rail came into effect rather than the rail companies going into recievership and we having no rail services.

Comparing rail in this country, lacking in investment is like chalk and cheese if you compare it with Europe.
Yes it is and that's why we are where we are. To develop what we've got to the standard of the best in Europe having taken the network back into public ownership would cost many billions and necessitate the tax rises nobody will vote for. Catch 22.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

So Farron's big idea is to legalise cannabis. He reckons it'll solves all sorts of problems, generate loads of revenue and put the drug dealers out of business.

Hmmm. If I were a drug dealer I think I'd just produce a stronger version and undercut the price of the official stuff. It'd take time but and yes there'd be a proportion of people who'd prefer to rely on the officially supplied gear but there'd be a great many who'd simply want to try something cheaper and stronger. This is exactly what's happening with Spice now isn't it? It's also the reason out sea and airports are flooded with cheap and all too often dodgy cigarettes which people choose to buy knowing all the risks of, for example, product contamination and lack of quality control, because they're cheaper.

Yep HMG could reduce the prices it charges for the official cannabis but where does that leave the predicted revenue stream?

Also if they legalise small scale home cultivation how are they intending to protect neighbours from the pungent aroma these plants generate or are non drug users just going to have to live with that?
Closed Thread