Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 21-12-2016, 10:02   #991
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Although intended for audiences outside the UK, this, I believe, is the kind of site that will ultimately become popular in the UK and start to take audiences away from our conventional broadcast terrestrial channels.

Competition regulators should become more relaxed about the idea with time and increased competition from other providers.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/201...aming-service/

Streaming service brings UK shows to a US audience

Some shows will stream just 24 hours after airing in the UK, vows BritBox; pricing TBC.

The commercial arm of the BBC is teaming up with rival UK broadcaster ITV to launch BritBox, a subscription streaming service that will give US anglophiles access to hundreds of British TV shows.

US-based AMC Networks, maker of hit shows like Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead, will own a minority stake in BritBox, but will not have any voting rights.

Pricing for BritBox is yet to be announced but, we're told, it will launch in the first quarter of 2017 on iOS, Android, Roku, AppleTV, and Chromecast, as well as via Web browsers. Other streaming services like Netflix and Hulu typically cost around the $10 mark. BBC Worldwide added that while the service will be US-only initially, it has an "ambition" to roll it out to other international markets in the future.

BritBox will be split into two sections: "Now" will show soaps and some series just 24 hours after airing in the UK, while "Classics" will feature catalogue content from both the BBC and ITV stretching back decades. On the Now side, British soaps like EastEnders, Emmerdale, and Holby City will be shown alongside dramas such as Silent Witness, New Blood, and Cold Feet.

Classics include the likes of period dramas like Brideshead Revisited, Pride and Prejudice, and Upstairs Downstairs, while comedy fans can enjoy the class-based capers of Keeping Up Appearances and the mild xenophobia of Fawlty Towers. Further details on shows are promised closer to launch, and those interested can sign up for updates over at britbox.com.

While of no consequence to US folks, that the BBC is partnering with ITV to launch a streaming service is something of a surprise, particularly as the two broadcasters regularly compete for viewers in the prime-time Saturday night slot with shows like Strictly Come Dancing and The X-Factor. Also surprising (and disappointing) is that Channel 4 is not currently part of BritBox.

C4 has numerous comedy classics on its books, including Father Ted, Peep Show, and Smack the Pony, as well as award-winning investigative news programmes such as Dispatches. Channel 5 isn't part of the deal either, but given that its output mostly consists of Celebrity Big Brother and Tattoo Disasters, it won't be missed.

The launch of BritBox follows the shuttering of the global version of iPlayer in May last year. The app allowed users in Western Europe, Australia, and Canada to view BBC programmes, including hit shows like Doctor Who and Sherlock. European users were charged a €5.99 (£4.30) monthly fee, Canadians $6.99 (£3.70), and Australians $7.49 (£3.80).

It also follows the failed launch of "Project Kangaroo" in 2007, a joint venture between ITV, BBC Worldwide, and Channel 4 that was intended to simplify the streaming video market in the UK. The project was scrapped after competition regulators blocked its development, because it was too much of a threat to competition in the then nascent video-on-demand market.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 21-12-2016 at 10:14.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-12-2016, 10:05   #992
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 10:16   #993
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

It never dies, Chris...
Old 21-12-2016, 10:58   #994
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

And nor will Linear TV OB as you will find out if you decide to visit many households this Christmas or the Christmases of the future as the vast majority will be huddled together in the living room watching the popular Linear channels.
Old 21-12-2016, 16:11   #995
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And nor will Linear TV OB as you will find out if you decide to visit many households this Christmas or the Christmases of the future as the vast majority will be huddled together in the living room watching the popular Linear channels.
You are quite right to say the linear channels are currently popular, Den,.

As for the future, that is quite a different matter. The thing is, people are used to having broadcast linear TV and as you know, old habits die hard. However, the younger generation are very quick to latch on to new things and this way of operating then becomes habitual for them. Gradually at first, and then very rapidly, the new way of doing things will really catch on, and as these new services develop, accessing programmes in this way will become the method of choice by most.

As I have said before, there will come a point at which it makes economic sense to close these channels in favour of a streaming approach. You're ok for the time being though, Den!
Old 21-12-2016, 17:13   #996
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

I'm so glad that I'm not part of the vast majority!
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 17:25   #997
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

Hear, hear......
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 17:55   #998
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
You don't have to be as there is a free choice out which suits everybody's different taste and wallet.
Old 21-12-2016, 18:49   #999
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
You've only got to look at the main 5 channels Xmas day schedules. Total crap, lowest denominator.

I suspect we'll be binge watching Season 6 of GoT.
Old 21-12-2016, 19:21   #1000
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
You've only got to look at the main 5 channels Xmas day schedules. Total crap, lowest denominator.

I suspect we'll be binge watching Season 6 of GoT.
This ^^ the so called main channels are shocking imo on Xmas day.
Old 21-12-2016, 19:35   #1001
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Me too
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 19:45   #1002
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
This ^^ the so called main channels are shocking imo on Xmas day.
It's hard to criticise BBC 1's peak-time schedule, it's got some very popular shows on:
Frozen 3:10
Great British Bake Off 4:45
Dr Who 5:45
Strictly Come Dancing 6:45
Call the Midwife 8pm
They may not all be to my taste but I acknowledge that this will be a highly popular Christmas line-up.

Meanwhile, yet another me-too streaming service is making headlines, Chilli. Based in Italy and serving Poland, Austria, Germany and Italy, it has secured investment from Sony, adding to that already received from Warner, Viacom and Tony Miranz, Vudu's co-founder.
https://uk.chili.tv/
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 20:04   #1003
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It's hard to criticise BBC 1's peak-time schedule, it's got some very popular shows on:
Frozen 3:10
Great British Bake Off 4:45
Dr Who 5:45
Strictly Come Dancing 6:45
Call the Midwife 8pm
They may not all be to my taste but I acknowledge that this will be a highly popular Christmas line-up.

Meanwhile, yet another me-too streaming service is making headlines, Chilli. Based in Italy and serving Poland, Austria, Germany and Italy, it has secured investment from Sony, adding to that already received from Warner, Viacom and Tony Miranz, Vudu's co-founder.
https://uk.chili.tv/

You're either on the bevvy, or you're takin the mick mate, you couldn't pay me to watch any of that guff!!!
Old 21-12-2016, 20:16   #1004
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
You're either on the bevvy, or you're takin the mick mate, you couldn't pay me to watch any of that guff!!!
The only thing I'm on at the moment is Lemsip! Everyone's different hence so many options. But BBC1 has a popular line-up which will do very well.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 20:22   #1005
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Well you don't have to watch it old boy but many millions will.