Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 24-04-2015, 23:12   #271
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Whilst not strictly owing to the demise of linear rather the lack of interest in 3D , Sky 3D will cease broadcasting in June with 3D movies being moved onto Sky On Demand.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-04-2015, 07:15   #272
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Whilst not strictly owing to the demise of linear rather the lack of interest in 3D , Sky 3D will cease broadcasting in June with 3D movies being moved onto Sky On Demand.
Yes it was inevitable MM.
Old 25-04-2015, 09:31   #273
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute View Post
this is only available for 4 days, if you miss you going to wait with everyone for the linear broadcast
And is only being done so the Beeb can gauge maximum interest in this sort of content delivery, using a new series with a very popular comedian's name in the title.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 12:01   #274
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes it was inevitable MM.

Den, do you sleep?.......
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 12:06   #275
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Den, do you sleep?.......
10 till 5 generally every night Sir as l nap for a hour during the day as l get tired pretty quickly these days.
Old 26-04-2015, 21:28   #276
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Another USA company offers a online tv package http://www.aftvnews.com/cablevision-...utter-package/
so far that's verizon, cablevision and dish network.
Comcast and time warner will announce theirs later in the year.
Direct tv are also expected to make a announcement soon.
Theone, you are pretty knowledgeable on most things TV (both here and in the states) related.

With these new streaming services launching in the states do you now how much they will cost? Also, do you know how much a top tier TV package equivalent to VM or Sky costs per month?

I genuinely wonder whether cord cutting will actually be a cost effective option in the future, and would like to try find out what the price difference between the two options are.

If you don't know, that's cool. I am just curious as to the costs.

In terms of discussion in relation to the thread, I will throw a couple more pennies in the pot!

In ten years time, IF cord cutting becomes the way forward and people just pay for the services of one company just to watch one series and then cancel said service for a number of months whilst they wait for the next season, I can imagine the TV companies forcing people to take minimum term contracts to stop people abusing the system.
As such (based on my idiotic thoughts), in 10 years I think it will be considerably pricier to pay for numerous streaming services opposed to my current monthly fee to watch all the same content now I could potentially watch simply by changing channel.

Also, the thought of having to stop one app, load another up and look for the relevant program will take much longer and more hassle than simply changing channel on TiVo/Sky equivalent.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 22:40   #277
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Theone, you are pretty knowledgeable on most things TV (both here and in the states) related.

With these new streaming services launching in the states do you now how much they will cost? Also, do you know how much a top tier TV package equivalent to VM or Sky costs per month?

I genuinely wonder whether cord cutting will actually be a cost effective option in the future, and would like to try find out what the price difference between the two options are.

If you don't know, that's cool. I am just curious as to the costs.

In terms of discussion in relation to the thread, I will throw a couple more pennies in the pot!

In ten years time, IF cord cutting becomes the way forward and people just pay for the services of one company just to watch one series and then cancel said service for a number of months whilst they wait for the next season, I can imagine the TV companies forcing people to take minimum term contracts to stop people abusing the system.
As such (based on my idiotic thoughts), in 10 years I think it will be considerably pricier to pay for numerous streaming services opposed to my current monthly fee to watch all the same content now I could potentially watch simply by changing channel.

Also, the thought of having to stop one app, load another up and look for the relevant program will take much longer and more hassle than simply changing channel on TiVo/Sky equivalent.
Sling from Dish starts from $19.99p/m which is about £14 in uk sterlin, verizon haven't announced a price yet neither have comcast, playstation vue starts from $49.99p/m which is about £31.
I don't see full costs but i get movies, sports, tv for $15p/m which is about £10p/m this includes nbcsports, foxsports, espn, hbo, showtime, cinemax, starz, discovery, histor etc if i use the directtv login i get 90 channels available to me, using the dish hopper app i get 400+ cannels but dish is hit and miss it depends if the guys internet is behaving, xfinity i get 50 channels i find xfinity to be most reliable. The $15 i pay is for all 3 logins it was originally $30p/m but as i've been a long term and loyal customer the guy reduced it to $15p/m for me.
So if i add my broadband, Netflix, vpn and logins all together it comes to £48p/m in total.
I tend to use zingzing tv guide on my pc to see what's on then i just load up the tv service login i need it takes seconds.
For me it has certainly saved me a lot of money as equivalant pack with sky or virgin would be over £100p/m easily.
Once i get details of verizon and comcast prices i will post here

Interestingly plusnet now have a link in the members area for customers to place interest in plusnets tv service that will be powered by BT.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 01:10   #278
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Sling from Dish starts from $19.99p/m which is about £14 in uk sterlin, verizon haven't announced a price yet neither have comcast, playstation vue starts from $49.99p/m which is about £31.
I don't see full costs but i get movies, sports, tv for $15p/m which is about £10p/m this includes nbcsports, foxsports, espn, hbo, showtime, cinemax, starz, discovery, histor etc if i use the directtv login i get 90 channels available to me, using the dish hopper app i get 400+ cannels but dish is hit and miss it depends if the guys internet is behaving, xfinity i get 50 channels i find xfinity to be most reliable. The $15 i pay is for all 3 logins it was originally $30p/m but as i've been a long term and loyal customer the guy reduced it to $15p/m for me.
So if i add my broadband, Netflix, vpn and logins all together it comes to £48p/m in total.
I tend to use zingzing tv guide on my pc to see what's on then i just load up the tv service login i need it takes seconds.
For me it has certainly saved me a lot of money as equivalant pack with sky or virgin would be over £100p/m easily.
Once i get details of verizon and comcast prices i will post here

Interestingly plusnet now have a link in the members area for customers to place interest in plusnets tv service that will be powered by BT.
Thanks Theone, that is quite interesting. You are certainly making a decent saving, but not everyone will be fortunate enough to get the saving you do on Sony Vue so I guess that makes the cost you pay an unfair guidline to someone like me who would have to pay full whack for Sony TV.
Kudos for the getting the discount though, it's nice to see loyalty rewarded, even if it not is directly from the company! Are the channels you receive all HD?

The vpn is an option I am choosing not to take currently, so in that respect more fool me for not using it.

The following paragraphs are not aimed at you, they are there simply to aid discussion, if anyone wants to continue with it.
Please feel free to respond though, you know much more about this than I do!!

I have just had a look at Playstation Vue and sling and as far as I can see, they both offer linear TV stations over the Internet. Currently they appear to be far from killing off linear TV, simply offering linear channels over the web. So in my eyes, this strengthens the case for linear channels surviving for many years. It might mean the end of the set top box in 10 years, but I don't see it killing linear TV.

I have also seen the pricing and it seems that I would have to pay $70 for the top package on Sony TV and that alone is considerably more than my TV subscription on VM.

Based on all the companies that could potentially offer a streaming service, I fear greatly for the potential costs of watching TV via streaming on demand packages, if it ever happens. I will stick having it all in one from one supplier, if possible!
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 02:41   #279
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Thanks Theone, that is quite interesting. You are certainly making a decent saving, but not everyone will be fortunate enough to get the saving you do on Sony Vue so I guess that makes the cost you pay an unfair guidline to someone like me who would have to pay full whack for Sony TV.
Kudos for the getting the discount though, it's nice to see loyalty rewarded, even if it not is directly from the company! Are the channels you receive all HD?

The vpn is an option I am choosing not to take currently, so in that respect more fool me for not using it.

The following paragraphs are not aimed at you, they are there simply to aid discussion, if anyone wants to continue with it.
Please feel free to respond though, you know much more about this than I do!!

I have just had a look at Playstation Vue and sling and as far as I can see, they both offer linear TV stations over the Internet. Currently they appear to be far from killing off linear TV, simply offering linear channels over the web. So in my eyes, this strengthens the case for linear channels surviving for many years. It might mean the end of the set top box in 10 years, but I don't see it killing linear TV.

I have also seen the pricing and it seems that I would have to pay $70 for the top package on Sony TV and that alone is considerably more than my TV subscription on VM.

Based on all the companies that could potentially offer a streaming service, I fear greatly for the potential costs of watching TV via streaming on demand packages, if it ever happens. I will stick having it all in one from one supplier, if possible!
Sorry i should of been clearer i blame the drink lol, i get directtv,xfinity and dish from someone in USA, Sony vue is a new service launched by sony i don't have that at the moment.
To confirm too xfinity, directtv and dish all stream linear channels too.
Old 29-04-2015, 20:20   #280
theone2k10
Inactive

I just had this email from plusnet i think linear tv is here for awhile yet.

"Hello,

Thank you for pre-registering your interest in our TV product. We are nearly ready to launch, which we are very excited about.

When we are ready to go, you have indicated that you would like us to contact you. We'll give you a call specifically about our TV service regardless of your other marketing preferences.

Kind Regards,

The Plusnet TV Team"
Old 30-04-2015, 17:52   #281
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I said earlier that Netflix is saying that Linear channels are dying, and pointed out that being an on demand service, they have an interest in making this happen. So, in an effort to be fair, I'd like to point out that Sky are saying that Linear TV is not going away anytime soon.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...pblZjneN33O7wW

They also criticise Netflix's commissioning process which seems to rely almost exclusively on data, and seems to have little human intervention. I sort of agree with this. Humans make mistakes but they can also see if a series has potential for improvement if the viewing figures are initially disappointing.. Had they relied exclusively on data, would the BBC have renewed Black Adder? Only Fools and Horses? Both of these had bad first series, with fewer viewers.

Finally, they point out that Netflix have never published any viewing figures, so it's actually difficult to determine if a series is successful or not.

Note: I am not criticising Netflix as such. They've produced excellent programmes (Daredevil) and bad ones, but I find it odd they are not publishing viewing figures if these figures back up their preposition that On Demand TV is replacing Linear.

Before you dismiss Sky as just a Linear provider trying to shore up a failing platform, I'd like to point out that they've invested a significant amount of cash in their on demand provision, and are as active as Netflix in promoting on demand TV.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 23:01   #282
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

But Skys own shows are horrendous, all the original programs I have seen from Netflix haven't put a step wrong. Their data must be working I really enjoyed Marco Polo, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, Daredevil and really looking forward to the other Marvel shows and Sense.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 00:24   #283
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Sky really are getting worried about Netflix and the like, aren't they.

Probably why I got a 50% off for 12 months offer in my email today.

Netflix don't spend many millions of pounds on, and renew them for further seasons, on shows such as Marco Polo if they aint working for them both from an audience and financial aspect.

Sport is the reason why many people don't cut the cord, and why Sky is so desperate to hold on to it, almost at any cost.

Netflix is a real threat to them for non sports fans.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 00:52   #284
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

Netflix don't spend many millions of pounds on, and renew them for further seasons, on shows such as Marco Polo if they aint working for them both from an audience and financial aspect.

Sport is the reason why many people don't cut the cord, and why Sky is so desperate to hold on to it, almost at any cost.

This, 100%
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:21   #285
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

They've also been throwing out nowtv offers i had a email today offering me entertainment pass for £2p/m for 6 months.